Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shifter Parts - What Are These Called?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, May 31, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And who sells them? Screenshot 2021-05-31 10.59.36 AM.png

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hurst was never good at sell replacement parts in my opinion. How many do you need? I’m sure I have a few in my shifter stash like I’m guessing a 1000 other HAMB members. Most of mine don’t use the nylon bushings any more. A guy on Sleeze-bay sells 3 new ones with nylon bushings and clips for $27.95 +$8 shipping if that won’t break your bank...

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    mgtstumpy and blowby like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks guys. I see Napa sells one that might work, called a Linkage Swivel. I'll go by tomorrow and see. Thanks for the offer Jimmy.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Deuces and '34 Ratrod like this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

?

The item under discussion here requires; a) some material, b) time, c) skill, d) somewhat expensive machines to produce the part.

@ $9 each, IMO…I think they are reasonably priced should I be in need of them. ;)

Ray

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  7. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I concur, considering the cost of a new complete Comp Plus install kit.

Joe

mgtstumpy, rbrewer, Bob Lowry and 4 others like this.
  8. spanners

spanners

Also known as trunnions

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ad from shifterdoc shows the one which uses a fine thread locking nut. The one looked for used a clip. The e-bay set come with clip and bushing as a kit for 3 rods. Maybe a better solution to what’s needed.

10. Along the lines of some other comments, I don't remember mine being plastic/nylon. The ones I had were from a Hurst shifter.

Deuces likes this.
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If you can't locate one try Brewers Performance....They deal in a lot of Hurst shifter parts for Mopars but those kind of swivels were used on a lot of different makes...

12. Deuces

Deuces

You mean common courtesy for a reach around?????......:confused:......:eek:

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

IIRC the bushings w/clips were offered in steel or nylon at one time. I've still got a blister-pack around here somewhere...

jimmy six likes this.
  14. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Hurst Comp Plus comes stock with nylon bushings but some guys install the steel ones. The nylon bushings do wear over time but the steel ones are poorer fitting with a smaller collar and are a bit brittle if you're banging gears. Nylon is actually better shock resistor. It's a trade-off. Hardened steel bushings are available from a couple guys but getting hard to find.

Joe

Bob Lowry likes this.
  15. indyjps

indyjps

What are the specs on this doo hickey, thread size, whats the diameter of the area that drops thru the linkage.

Supplier Ive worked with for years at my job makes hundreds of push pull cables and specilaizes in linkage parts, I may be able to find something in their catalog.

16. Should be easy enough to make with even a small cheap lathe and drill press, if you have those tools and material available. Plus you'd have a bit more control over the quality aspect of each part.

To @Hnstray 's point, they are still considerably cheaper to buy than having them made for you at a machine shop.

17. I bought a button set for when I rebuild my shifter that busted last year, believe they were $38 on eBay. A local speed shop had the Hurst Track Pack bushings and clips. I feel that the older style clips from Hurst fit better than these.

Joe Travers likes this.
  18. Drill press? Nah.. the only way I'd do the clip spring hole and threaded hole would be on a Hardinge head on my mill. I'd give it a go with a split-block and clamp screw, but would still use the mill and vise. You really want to spot, drill and tap the threaded hole in one shot per button. The clip hole can be anywhere in relation to the threaded hole.

19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Right on Ray! I'm just thrilled to be able to get them. Frankly, I figured them to be twice that price... There about the same price as a taking the family out to McDonald's...

Hnstray likes this.