Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Build Without (Now With) a Body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LostInOC, Jan 27, 2021.

1. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Great work and writing. I made a c clamp like that 30 plus years ago , still use it for flathead valves .
    Keep it up

LostInOC likes this.
  2. LostInOC

LostInOC

I've got a much anticipated update; the title of this thread is no longer relevant....

At precisely 1:59 PM mountain time, a 30-31 Brookville body was purchased from a nice gentleman located in Texas. Serendipitously, a family friend happened to be driving from Tennessee to Colorado, hauling a half empty trailer and willing to make the slight detour. Now if this wasn't meant to be, I have no clue what is...other than the fact I'll be sleeping in the garage for the next 2 nights. Excitement doesn't come close to describing my feelings right now. Mark my words, this car will be driving this summer! Registration, that's a whole other animal.

By the way, something seems really familiar about the name written on the box......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  3. Super clean body, and the wood is already done!!
    Do you mind doing me a favor? Can you snap me some pics of the sub rails, from the front of the doors to the firewall? I gotta recreate mine for my roadster.

4. LostInOC

LostInOC

Once it gets delivered I'll get some shots for yah.

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

Nice !!! Tardel have a customer that backed out?

6. LostInOC

LostInOC

Guess so. The guy said he got the body from some famous shop but I didn’t put 2 + 2 together until I saw the name on the box. Hopefully the body is blessed by Vern himself!

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

Verns son, Keith , has a shop in Austin

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Vernon2

Vernon2

Nice You may want to install a B Dist. and timing gear cover as the B has a auto advance. Once Timing is set no need to adjust.

9. LostInOC

LostInOC

A3A8AB29-B1EE-49AE-9E0E-432A81FFC16E.jpeg The body is on, shimmed and the doors close like butter....for now. Oh boy, did I get myself into one hell of a fight with the trunk pan. The Z gave me all sorts of headaches. It was know there’d be some “trimming and massaging” of the body but this turned out to be surgery. Besides the hole in the pan cut out to clear the rear spring mount, both sides had some fairly complex cuts made to clear the frame. As of now, the holes are open to the trunk but will later have sheet metal boxed/welded in. Stupid me welded the aft most body mount holes closed....again the body had to be levitated to re-drill the holes. Speaking of levitation, I gotta say, I came up with a pretty slick way to lift and lower the body without another human present. Some eye bolts in the ceiling along with the synching straps you use to haul motorcycles worked a treat. The doubled 2x4s the car came on worked great as cross supports with additional eye bolts screwed in. Today was a long day, but (insert car name here) is starting to look like a really for real automobile. I’m really digging the height of the car. My son says it looks like one of those bugs that walk on water...I kinda agree. 9112D7D4-8CE4-4551-9EA2-D76C9AEFA674.jpeg 5195CF1B-58E2-40DE-B23E-36923774D960.jpeg 9ED7683E-AF0D-42FC-B5B9-86730B2033D8.jpeg 6F5BCC83-1720-46A6-9694-07212062CE36.jpeg 52DD3474-E221-4E14-9EF7-A6D87FB7B033.jpeg 1B638FCD-9A4E-4F0A-AF8A-E990F28FDB7B.jpeg

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is looking great! What a nice body to start with.

J.Ukrop and LostInOC like this.
  11. LostInOC

LostInOC

Well, son of a! The flywheel housing is cracked. I know conventional mig welding is out of the question. I also know some folks say drill the ends of the cracks and run it. Stumped......thoughts? 77D51148-4F3C-4F81-8722-47BDF565BD82.jpeg

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Cast iron?
    Many methods have been used over the years, from welding (usually involving heating ovens first) to an oldie, something you could do at home. Drill, tap and install a piece of threaded rod. cut flush and do another overlapping the first. Look for cast iron stitching. There were a bunch of different weld/braze videos listed to compare.
    Since this can open the crack a bit and the flat surface in your application is critical, I'd check into pro repair and replacement costs to see what your choices are in relation to time, cost and final result. As always, cheap, fast, right, pick two!

loudbang likes this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There are guys that can weld that with nickel rod. If it was mine and a stock banger I would braze it. Brazing is probably as strong as the rest of it and a lot stronger than most of the pundits think. It is a legitimate vintage repair on cast metal. You would want to have it surfaced afterword. I wonder why it cracked? Warped? Misaligned? Loose? I doubt if it was torque.

loudbang and RodStRace like this.
  14. Ryan Turk

Ryan Turk
    from Austin, TX

I am about to Z my model A frame, which will eventually have a 30-31 body. Any advice before I go at it? I'm taking the risk of doing it now before I have the body..

15. rusty valley

rusty valley

They do crack. but, henry made 4 million of em, I would find another. If you were close, i'd give you one. they are not that valuable. best of luck for you

loudbang and RodStRace like this.
  16. LostInOC

LostInOC

Gonna check Bert’s tomorrow to se if they have a good original. Repops are about $500! Wish you were close, you seem to know a heck of a lot about A’s.

17. LostInOC

LostInOC

I did the same. It all depends on how much you want to Z. If you’re just going for about 3”, Vern Tardel’s method is really easy, any more and the entire trunk pan pretty much needs to be cut out/butchered. Honestly, wish I would have just used the model T spring I have rather than modifying the body. But it is what it is and it ain’t gonna go back to what it was.

18. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I have fixed similar with drill end of crack,preheat part to 400 degrees and arcweld with nickel rod.Has worked well

Six Ball and loudbang like this.
  19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Good luck finding an un cracked original. Never seen one. Was a weak design and worse if the shims are not used in assembly.

20. LostInOC

LostInOC

Score! Found an un cracked 31 housing at Bert’s. That place is a goldmine. May have come home with other crap too... 7767B963-6A62-4F65-BD6B-9A1454FFDB90.jpeg

21. LostInOC

LostInOC

Need my TIG welder back!
    E0AA792E-9A74-4D3E-9C3D-CDB2102E6BCD.jpeg 87BC6DF8-F54D-4BA1-A301-E7B22A233704.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  22. LostInOC

LostInOC

23. LostInOC

LostInOC

All the small things…..

Acquired a beast of an air compressor.

Took all the paint off the tank.

Waiting for 4 more gallons of evapo-rust to fill the tank up and flush all the rust out. The plan is to fill er to the top and let sit for 2-3 days.

Removing all the rust on the body with a combination of mechanical and chemical warfare.

Fitted the blue dots.

Trying to fit the damn trunk latch. Requires some welding up of sheet metal, hole drilling, and other finagling.

Starting to plan for paint, going to give it a go myself. I painted a truck about 17 years ago and it turned out, well, like I painted it in my garage. This time around, I’m going to take my time and do it “right.” The car will be gloss black. Currently researching the appropriate primer, base and clear. It doesn’t need to be perfect but I’d really love to make it look like it wasn’t half assed.

Still no flywheel or Thomas head….dying to drop the motor in!

Other than that, there hasn’t been much happening. Had to put my best bud down so motivation has been lacking. Was really looking to taking my dog for a cruise, he would have loved it.

8EFDBACA-5022-4F82-B3ED-BF3EB58B68C3.jpeg 71B10384-F6CB-487A-B893-96FBFD58005A.jpeg 464576A4-D286-4363-AD9C-A74E62C4138A.jpeg 72C350B9-CEB9-473D-9184-D8F8138A3F49.jpeg

24. rusty valley

rusty valley

give it 4 coats of 2 part urethane, skip the clear, and buff it out

Maicobreako and loudbang like this.
  25. LostInOC

LostInOC

I've never heard of anyone doing that. How's it look? Any articles or examples to point to? Thanks

oliver westlund likes this.
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

If you are an amateur painter with no fancy paint booth, you can still get a nice looking job by wet sanding /buffing to remove any imperfections, and get a nice shine too. You're new sheet metal should block out nice and straight in primer, then 4 coats gives you enough paint to buff. Clear is just another step for a possible screw up, cost money, and gets you only a slightly better shine. Also, straight paint can be repaired easier than a clear coat. I am a hack painter myself, lets see what the pro's have to say

kidcampbell71, loudbang and LostInOC like this.
  27. I have the same deal with my wife. And as long as it miraculously doesn’t snow or ice on her car she sees no need to park in the garage.

Just found your thread. Great read, love the plan. Subscribed for the rest of the ride.

loudbang and LostInOC like this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Sorry about your dog you can't get that kind of friendship anywhere else.
    You are making great progress. Here is how a friend cleans gas tanks. He starts with a couple of gallons of gravel.
    b1b62b0e3a6582fd9d838305899d0f57.jpg

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Perfect candidate for tech week........next year.

Six Ball and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. rusty valley

rusty valley

I clean gas tanks similar to that, but use my wheel painting machine, which runs at 5 RPM, and use a tube of BB's so as not to scratch off the zinc plating in the tank.