Register now to get rid of these ads!

Traction bars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackerbilt, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Guys...looking to ID a set of traction bars...no pic at the moment but should be easy to visualize.
    They replace the lower spring mounting plate completely and attach with the U-bolts. NO "J" bolts.

No snubber at front, they clamp directly to the leaf spring with plates and rubber isolator pads.

The beam is flat plate, NOT tube, about 3/8's thick and around 2 1/2"- 3" high with lightening holes along the length.

The flat beam is held between two flat plates that are welded to the spring mounting plate and is thru bolted in front of the plates and at rear. 2 bolts per traction bar.

I think the idea being that you remove one bolt to allow freedom of movement on the street and reinstall the bolt for strip use.

Ring any bells as to name, model and reasonable era? Mid 60's maybe????

Thanks!

2. slammed1

slammed1

Im am stumped on the name but I had an exact set on my 68 Nova for a while.

Im bashing my brain now,thanks.

EDIT
    Ansen ground grabbers.
    bad pic

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Ansen ground grabbers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
    Gasser 57 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Traction Masters

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

Mr Gasket also made them. The generic name is "slapper bars."

6. RustyPile

RustyPile

The slapper bars I saw were attached only to the bottom of the spring plate. The bar was made of rectangular tubing cut at a baloney slice at the front with a rubber snubbing block bolted facing up to the end. About half way between the mounting plate and snubber was a "U" bolt that passed over, but not clamped to the spring... Under power, when the diff housing tried to wind up, the snubber "slapped" the bottom side of the spring.. Hence the moniker "slapper bars".....

RustyPile

7. I second that, got a set on my brothers '55. Hope you got the bolt to put in the rear hole when you want it to be an actual traction bar.

8. Oh yeah I had the bolt, they work great with 90-10 front shocks.....

[​IMG]

flyin-t and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. I was sure you used "the bolt", I was wondering about the guy that posted the thread.

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

ANSEN Ground Grabbers! Well...that explains why I came up empty searching for Lakewood! Hahaha

Being Ansen makes them even cooler.
    When did they first appear on the scene? Early 60's???

"Fitzee" has a set that someone donated to the cause and I think they're an awesome connection to our local Dragracing history.
    He's planning on running Ladder bars and housing floaters/sliders on his Gasser P'up project but I'm thinking these are much cooler then generic ladder bars and I'd love to see them get some use.
    To me...they SEEM to predate the common 1970's "slapper" style of traction bar...am I right in thinking that?

Kiwi Kev has some really good working bolts in his Grabbers...Man, that hooks good on the street! :D

11. Thats gotta be one of the coolest pics ever!

12. Tony

Tony

I fully agree with that!
    The traction bars are equally cool......I wouldn't mind getting some measurements and duplicate them for my 57.........

13. Danger Diaz

Danger Diaz

need a pair?

Attached Files:

14. scrape

scrape

kiwi,,,, we need some deatails on that 56...
    what motor, trans, reargears.......

15. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

I'm interested

16. Just a little curious here. What kind of tires are on your car? Air pressure? What trans and converter? Front springs and shocks? How much ballast in the rear?
    Did you do a dry or wet burnout before the pic?

Thanks

17. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

A buddy of mine has a set of these on '55 Chevy he recently got and we found them interesting, but never could find any info about them. Great thread! :cool:

18. fitzee

fitzee

Bill you have me sold.I picked up the set in qustion with a bunch of other parts and figure they were a homemade set of slapper bars. Cool finding this out.maybe the Hillman will find a home for them. anybody know when they came out and how long they were on the market. Oh that 56 looks to cool.

19. The 56 had a tunnel rammed 327, Muncie 4 spd, 4.10 Dana 60. 90-10 front shocks. I think the slicks were 9" wide, 10 pounds pressure, no ballast, no burnout. The car is lurching at about a 10mph roll, second stab of the gas. Not a true wheelie but very intimidating to cars cruising beside you who wanted to race.

20. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...you just can't let them gather dust when they could be loading the suspension just like back in the day at the Argentia Naval base runway/track! I'd bet cold cash they WERE running on our very first sanctioned 1/4 mile track...just like that EELCO fuel tank Donnie Ryan gave you.
    ahhhh....It's just the history Fitzee...gets me every time.

You know...We're tiny up here compared to California or pretty much anywhere for that matter...BUT we have our car heros and their stories just like everyone else.
    Being able to use parts that got passed down from them is just icing on the cake!!!

21. These bars were used by many of the super muscle car builders of the late 60's early 70's ie, Dana Chevrolet, Nickey Chevrolet, Yenko, Baldwin Motion etc.

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

I used to see allot of Ansen bars on cars in the '70's...... don;t know if they really worked well or not.

23. Hey thanks,man . That's what I was digging at. Just wanted you to tell the folks what was going on there..and you did.
    Good looking ride....

24. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

How many muncies did you eat doing this Kev? Ive smash a few doing less.

25. RacerRick

RacerRick

Anyone have all the measurements? I want a set of these for a 55 wagon I bought (and am still working on the title for....sigh)

26. I have a set I took off my 55 Sedan if you are interested let me know.....I am in northwest Arizona....

27. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

22 year old Super sleepy thread, But i would like a set of these Ansen Ground grabbers, Anyone out there have a set to sell?

Tickety Boo and kidcampbell71 like this.