Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2021.

1. My father and uncle. I come from a large military family. We have blood in this country as some never came back. My families military service can be traced back to the Civil War. My cousin is a full bird colonel in the army working in the pentagon. I was taught at a young age that memorial day is not about going to the beach for a cookout. Thanks go out to all who served. If you have a flag on your shelf nothing else needs to be said. 20201111_151213.jpg 20201111_151235.jpg

2. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I appreciate having the life that I have and am very thankful for the ones that fought for us and gave the ultimate sacrifice. I have two young boys and made sure that they know what this day is about. It brought tears to my eyes really explaining it to them today, thinking of the ones that lost their lives.

THANK YOU

CN

Attached Files:

3. cfmvw

cfmvw

My great uncle Conrad Bryant served in the Navy during WWII and survived three sinkings. My Grandpa's best friend Lloyd Rainier was in the Battle of the Bulge and lost his toes to frostbite, and felt fortunate that was all he lost compared to what he saw. They're both gone now, but I always remember what they went through for our country.

4. I just returned from the local services. I usually go to a larger community that has a band and a speaker. The weather was not good today so I decided to attend the local services. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the crowd. There was quite a few young people which is something that I don't see much of at the larger service. The young woman who sang the anthem is the child of a former tenant of mine. She did an excellent job. She just sang it as it is, not modified as so many of the pop artists try to do. There was a young man from the high school band who played "Taps". Also the child of a former tenant. I was proud to know these 2 young people. There is a wreath and flag placed at every vet's grave in the cemetery. It's a heart moving sight to see how many from my community have served. My father was WW2 and grandfather was WW1. As I have often stated: this is my favorite day to be an American. No other day means as much to me as the fact that people have died so I may have all the privileges that America provides. God bless the United States of America and God bless all of the veterans! :)

5. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Bought my first car from my grandparents neighbor Dan. It was a 1951 Chrysler Imperial with a 331 Hemi. I like to brag that my first car was a Hemi car, LOL! Dan was an engineer at the power plant being built and he always came to the high school football games and played trumpet with the band to help lead cheers. He had pictures from when he was in the Army Air Corp during WWII and so being a 15 year old, I asked him what he did in the “Big One”. He told me he was a bombardier in B-26’s in Europe. I asked him if he used the Norden Bombsight. I remember he looked at me very seriously and told me that that subject was Top Secret, he wasn’t cleared to speak about it, and don’t ask about it again. I am always thankful for those who made the choice and sacrifice to allow me to live free, and also by the commitment they have made to their God and Country. Thank you all.

6. Heading to the cemetery right now.

7. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

8. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

"God bless you " sorry for your loss .

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Hemiman 426, Stogy, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This picture rules!

ciscokid, Stogy, HarryT and 6 others like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20210531_175804.jpg Old Car Pictures 001 (Small).jpg Old Car Pictures 002 (Small).jpg Old Car Pictures 007 (Small).jpg

11. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I just watched a great story on a Granddaughter taking her Grandfather ashes to Pearl Harbor to be part of the Arizona Memorial.

Stogy, R A Wrench, Tman and 7 others like this.
  12. 34Larry

34Larry

Forgot to mention I was the base bugler, (trumpet) for McConnell AFB in Wichita from late '59 until '62.
    Playing Taps at WW II and Korean, or any vets funerals came with the responsibility. There were so many in that time frame that I spent more time at cemeteries than at my duty station, (almost). The local vets groups, VFW and the like would call the base and request a bugler. I was treated like royalty, by them. I will never forget the extreme sadness by family members, and the stories from war buddies about their experience. Taps is always played after the 21 gun salute as the final part of the ceremony. I did my best not to play them to mournful, but Taps tends to be anyway, and it often brought with them, wales of sorrow and sadness from those attending.
    CBS last night and this morning, told the story of the local guy who play taps each evening not to far from us, on his balcony over looking Puget sound and how his neighbors come out and stand in respect and how it has swept the nation many, many more trumpeters doing the same. My lip for playing left me years ago, although I still have the trumpet sitting right here behind the computer. I'm wishing I had continued with the horn, just for this reason alone.
    Forgive me if my personnel story here does not fit in with the sentiments being expressed.

13. Deuces

Deuces

This picture needs to be bigger.....;) image (4).jpg

14. Deuces

Deuces

15. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

That’s my yard art that we decorate year round.

CN

16. A very special thank you to all who payed the ultimate price for our country. Also to the families including my own who suffered loss. Freedom is not free or easy. God bless.

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remembering....Miss you Dad. zdad.jpg zdad2.jpg

18. DieselGreaser

DieselGreaser

I'm probably one of the younger guys here so I'll share a couple of more recent losses.

Lieutenant Phillip Neel was KIA in April 2007 out in the boonies around Balad, Iraq when we were ambushed during a night mission. He did an enlisted stint and then went to West Point and became a platoon leader. He was a quiet guy (like me) but an all-around great guy who cared about his soldiers. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/18834436/phillip-i.-neel
    [​IMG]

PFC Stephen Raderstorff was KIA on 7 Jan 2007 (unfortunately happens to be my birthday) in a small town also outside Balad. Unfortunately I don't think the Army has acknowledged that he was killed by friendly fire due to confusion when his platoon was occupying a building that my own platoon was rushing into during a fire fight. Another great young guy and was only in the Army for a year and a half before we lost him. https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-cpl-stephen-j-raderstorf/2488764
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately these two are not even being close to the only ones who were in my unit or whose deaths I witnessed, but they were the closest to me personally. Add to that the dozen or so guys in my unit that have taken their own lives over the years. Not a day goes by that I don't think of these guys and wonder how I made it through 3 deployments.

Thanks for the outlet guys, I don't do social media and I don't like to bring attention upon myself by posting stuff like this, so this helps a bit.

19. Thanks Larry! Very well said.

Stogy, Deuces, Hemiman 426 and 3 others like this.
  20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

My Father and his oldest brother were WW1 veterans.Lost Dad in 1994 at 98 years of age.
    Nov 11 is very special to me as it is also my Dads birthday(11-11-1896).He always said that 11-11-1918
    was the best birthday he ever had.So veterans day is also a very special day for me.One of my cousins that served in WW2 was in Pattons 3rd army.Served in Shermans.He used to say that he would`nt have missed it for the world,BUT,he would`nt do it again for a million dollars.
    Grew up around WW1,WW2.and Korean war vets who belonged to the local American Legion post that my Dad was a charter member of.It was a privelege to have known them.They are all gone now.
    God bless them all.
    Leo

21. My dad caught the tail end of WWII without to much action and then to Korea for his tour. With 4 kids and me maybe on the way he signed up in 1955 with 136th Wing of the Texas Air National Guard and put in another 20yrs.

Roy is on my dad's right and a good friend thru out the years - not sure if my dad's grinning because he had another boy or not - but that trainer and 56 Chevy in the back ground is one of the coolest pics I have of him ! Dad with Roy 1956 TA6.jpg

22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I took 178 Vets on an honor flight to DC . One the most memorial things I can possibly remember doing in my adult life . If you get a chance , please guardian a flight for these great men and say Thank You to them .

23. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

My family has served in every war from the American Revolution to Afghanistan. Some of us have payed the ultimate price. MY father and 2 of his brothers were in WW2 . My dad survived Iwo Jima as a beach pioneer an never talked about it . My brother David and I were in Vietnam at the same time but I came home on a med flight so it is what it is. My uncle Ken was at Normandy and he lost most of his men on the beach and he only talked about in in the last few years before he died so yes some of our sacrifices are also mental not just physical and we carry the scars forever. So thank You Gentlemen

Stogy, R A Wrench, williebill and 5 others like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

25. And thank your family for your sacrifices .

Stogy, Deuces and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. twenty8

twenty8

Looking into the eyes of these guys is haunting. So young for the job at hand. We have so much to thank them for.

27. RacerX The photo of the frame for the folded American flag is a great idea! I have my dad's flag [issued on his death] and while I'd like to display it in my house it's really too big but the folded flag in a triangular frame is a great idea.

28. Found the photo I was looking for, the old day late and dollar short. HRP

joseph-grande-van-nuys-ca-photos9.jpg