Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 4 banger ohv choke ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, May 29, 2021.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hi folks , down under colder weather is here and we realise we really do need a choke mechanism. We would like to keep the original choke pull position in the centre of the dash .A solid rod system seems best but with a 90 bend and another 90 bend i am imagining the rods want to twist down. Cable isn’t a straight shot , it too would require a couple of sharp bends. Any tip appreciated.
    735F0339-37D8-472A-A24A-7396A5B39040.jpeg 9BD710E9-2A0F-42ED-B66B-CF3AB76F180A.jpeg

KiWinUS likes this.
  2. clem

clem

Something similar to your accelerator set up, solid rods using same fittings to the firewall, (maybe utilising a bell crank if necessary). - although I can’t see why a cable won’t work, except it would look out of place.

3. Nice looking Banger!

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I vote for a cable!:)

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I used a universal cable and used the original choke pull location

6. Personally, I don't mind the look of a braided stainless cable because it takes care of 90-degree doglegs and alignment issues. Plus folks, like Lokar, offer throttle cable kits with brackets that can be adapted easily enough. Using old steel and a little paint to fabricate brackets can add the look of miles and time. Bending up some 'distressed' brake line instead of braided stainless would add additional 'history'.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  7. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Cross shaft and a bellcrank....

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picture taken by Otto Focus. Patent idea , bailing wire!! Could even be construed as traditional. Hey down under we farmers are very renown for fixing anything with number 8 fencing wire. Took all of 60 seconds to try it out as a theory, tonight it worked darn good on start up 2 revolutions and its going ,but its not so cold here at present. Will wait till it’s a frosty winter AM. 394B29B6-6917-4F5B-B0C9-C42DABD20F1C.jpeg

9. clem

clem

Can you get away with only one choke to the rear carb........?

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  10. Main tool in the tool bag was sidecutters, #8 fencing wire was a necessity in the early motor cycling days in NZ, didn’t need to walk to far to find that.

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running two 94's on my flathead with solid linkage and only have the choke connected to the front carb and it works great. Should be able to only choke one carb.

12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The '29, with an OHV, starts fine on one carb being choked. A thin washer under the choke linkage keeps the other one open.
    That said, the '31 Vicki is cold blooded and on a cold day it needs both for driveability...
    I can't load a photo at the moment as the HAMB app is no longer functional and I just tried to upload from the phone....the following error occurred
    File too big...
    Well, I tied the two chokes together with a long linkage from Speedway Motors.
    It wasn't much money, like $14.00 as I recall.
    I ran a choke cable, mounting it on the bracket that holds the stock choke rod, after removing the grommet. I don't remember but I think I had to drill the hole a little bit larger. Routed the cable through the hole that the stock choke rod went through in the firewall.
    I bought a repop aftermarket stainless steel choke bracket and mounted it on the front carburetor. Drilled the center of old choke rod and crimped it on the end of the choke cable to give me the socket. I then took a ball off of an old carburetor and silver brazed it on to the front carburetor linkage socket. It works sweet and controls both chokes in unison. I'll see if I can get some photos that will download. Hope I explained this in an understandable way

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No show car , purely for functionality. Some 3/16 SS rod I had lying around, ground a flat on it for the ball stud location .Bit of brass rod drilled and tapped for a ball stud. 3/16 rod bent and threaded. Found a spare choke knob . Probably better than the previous bailing wire. 3B148EED-AD82-482E-8E8A-64065B58FCA1.jpeg 7740EB4F-955D-45B2-985D-29D8B260FCA1.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    prez and clem like this.