Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2021.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I had a neighbor who was in his 90s. He was battle ship gunner in WW-II. He had all these scars from hot shell casings burning him. He said I didn't feel a thing because we had those doped up comma causies flying right into us. If you didn't blow them out of the sky you were dead!

What he and most of the other vets always hated was people setting off fireworks. Every time one would go off he used to tense up and this look of fear would come over his face. This guy was no sissy, he was a iron worker riveting iron on buildings like the Empire State building, United States Steel building in Pittsburgh and the Alcoa building also in Pittsburgh.

He was such a cool dude. He drove a mint 1968 Buick Electra 225.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

11 minutes. Not a word spoken.
    Thank you to all the veterans.

This was posted in 2008.
    The link was not accessible.
    I searched for it for 1/2 hr and said a prayer I would find it this morning.
    Suddenly the name just popped up.
    I think the power of prayer and the importance of sharing allowed this to resurface.

Stogy, R A Wrench, loudbang and 19 others like this.
  3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

More Than Steaks Sizzling And A Excellent Apple Pie Made By Aunt Flo That Is Her Pride And Joy On This Special Celebration Day Each And Every Year......A Salute To Those Who Gave The Ultimate Gift To Us Still Living In A Beautiful And Special Land Holding This Moment To Our Hearts So Very Dear...."A Salute"....Lou Wells 2021... 190888068_2945603299097265_604330308817889557_n.jpg

Stogy, R A Wrench, loudbang and 13 others like this.
  4. Curt Six

Curt Six

1AE164BF-8397-4433-90AF-E801080F165B.jpeg
    This is Vic Edelbrock and his brother-in-law Wes Collins. Wes served in WWII and came home, but the mental toll the war took on him led to him taking his life not long after he returned. Sometimes we don’t lose our heroes to bullets or IEDs, but they’re heroes nonetheless. Here’s to every last one of them.

5. Here's a picture of Dad back in the 70s. He served in the Philippines during WWII. Like most he didn't talk about it. We never knew about the two Bronze stars until after he was gone. In this picture he's probably wondering why my brother and I fool with those old cars. Better man than I'll ever be.
    upload_2021-5-31_8-26-1.png

6. X-cpe

X-cpe

In '63 I was part of a group of Boy Scouts that placed the flags at the Punch Bowl Cemetery in Hawaii. It' s a sight and a feeling you don't forget. A month and a half later I was on my way to Ft. Ord for basic.

Grandpa_CarlDry.jpg

My Dad. A 21 year old kid prior to Pearl Harbor. He died last year, 25 days short of 100.

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

All we can do for the vets is not light fireworks off. Besides really screwing dogs up it can cause flash backs to people who saw war close up.. We used to go down the river, away from people and there homes...

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For everyone in SoCal the traveling Viet Nam Memorial Wall is in RANCHO PALOS VERDES. IMO its just as moving as the real memorial in Washington DC. Worth the drive to view the 1/2 sized version. Again, IMO.

Stogy, loudbang, Hemiman 426 and 6 others like this.
  9. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Stogy, R A Wrench, loudbang and 24 others like this.
  10. My granddaughter was in D. C. last week on her 8th grade trip. They visited Arlington National Cemetery. She was chosen by her teacher to participate in laying the wreath at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and to share her thoughts with those who were present.

Wish I could have been there.

A proud veteran, grandfather.

Stogy, Chavezk21, j3harleys and 15 others like this.
  11. EL MOE

EL MOE

May there sacrifice never be forgotten trivialized or made politically correct and may we honor them everyday not just two days a year

Stogy, loudbang, Hemiman 426 and 7 others like this.
  12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

War is hell and the effects of the aftermath still ripple through society to this day. To those that walked through the fire, may you rest in peace.

Joe

Stogy, Chavezk21, Hemiman 426 and 7 others like this.
  13. I see we are not good at directions. Like everything else I need to read things at least twice to get it right. It ain't easy getting old! So thanks for the slide and thanks to all of those who sacrificed so very much for us all.

Stogy, j3harleys, Hemiman 426 and 5 others like this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

If we were good at following directions, odds are, we wouldn't be hot rodders.

Stogy, j3harleys, Hemiman 426 and 7 others like this.
  15. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

I think of my friend Malcom Cannon. I did not know Mr. Cannon that well. He built a Turbo 400 for my brother and we had an enjoyable visit with Mr. Cannon in 1999.
    He had a 1940 Ford convertible with all the bells and whistles. He was building a 1948/9 Olds with the 4 speed Hydro. He showed us the 303 and the Hydro waiting to go into that 88. His daily driver was a 1953 Rocket just like the one pictured above. His Rocket that he bought new, looked like a 5 year old car in 1999. It was his daily since 1953. Mr. cannon also drag raced a Henry J with a J2 Olds and 4 speed Hydro.

Mr. Cannon got his passion for Flatheads and Hydromatics from the tank he crewed in Korea, a M24 Chaffe.

The M24 was powered by twin Cadillac flathead V8s with Hydromatic transmissions. Just think of all those young men that got their passion from working on tanks and aircraft.

The 1953 Olds pictured is for Mr. Cannon and those who returned.

My Great Uncle Charles Brown 1920-1945, also crewed a M24 in the closing months of WWII. He was the assistant driver /loader..
    [​IMG]c6fbec212712e90af96d89c0c4e50b4e by Travis Brown, on Flickr

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

San Diego Prowler member/Sailor Bob Smith, made the cover of March '58 Hot Rod with his ultra clean '27.

[​IMG]

Stogy, slim38, Dangerousdan and 15 others like this.
  18. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Sorry I can't follow instructions, just wanted to add not a day goes buy that for a minute or two I don't think about how lucky I was to survive Viet Nam and how sad I feel for those who didn't make it home.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-31_6-10-4.png "Tennessee Bo-weevil" at the Detroit Nationals in 1959
    Hello,

When we were growing up in Long Beach, my brother and I kept reading our weekly Drag News papers showing the latest news from across the country, as well as an extensive coverage of local So Cal dragstrips. We were proud of what the Westcoast racers were doing, since we were a part of that scene. But, various people from across the USA were making a name for themselves at their own local dragstrips.

One of the most unusual drag racers was Raymond Godman or the “Tennessee Bo-Weevil.” My brother had always liked modified roadster class with their open bodies on a racy frame. He always wanted to drive a FED race car, but was thinking of building a modified roadster until his notion of a dual-purpose street legal, Gas Coupe fell into place.

But, we always chuckled at seeing the “Tennessee Bo-Weevil” in print (Drag News) and what records he was setting back East.

Jnaki

Then reading about the trials and tribulations of the owner, Raymond Godman, was a story to honor and remember. Despite his condition, he gave his builds everything he was able to do. So, good on you, Ray Godman, you are a legend in drag racing!
    (Part of a Legends in DragRacing Series)

Original SOUND from the 1959 Detroit Nationals recorded in September from an LP Album, purchased in December 1959. It was converted to a digital recording in 2015.

Stogy, charleyw, Hemiman 426 and 5 others like this.
  20. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't imagine what was going through the minds of these guys, June 6th, 1944 landing on Omaha Beach at Normandy. Look at their young faces. That kid in the center of the photo looks to be 13 years old. On this day 156,000 Allied soldiers landed, and on this day one of every 15 died for freedom. Saying "Thank you for your service" doesn't scratch the surface of what we owe them.

D-Day.jpg

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. ken bogren

ken bogren

Amen

Stogy, Joe Travers, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

My Great Grandfather and only son John went over in WWI. John was killed at Fresnoy, France. No known grave.
    My Grandfather went over as well luckily didn't get to France.
    My Uncle Marshal was at the Dieppe raid WWII. He was wounded and captured. Spent 3 years in a Germany POW camp and survived the war.
    My Dad went over RCAF to England WWII and fortunately not in combat.
    Both my brother and I served in Viet Nam.

Stogy, R A Wrench, slim38 and 15 others like this.
  24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

The Jeep is named after "JEEP" from Popeye.

Stogy, Hemiman 426, Joe Blow and 4 others like this.
  25. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I've posted this before but it's a gear shift knob I had made in memory of my father who was a bombardier on a B17 flying missions out of Amendola Air Base, Foggia, Italy with the 2nd Bomb Group. Their motto was "Defenders of Liberty" and that's what they did.
    Pops Shift Knob.jpg

Stogy, R A Wrench, slim38 and 11 others like this.
  26. 34Larry

34Larry

upload_2021-5-31_9-5-23.jpeg [​IMG]
    Vietnam memorial, was here M-day 1990. Tears ran like a river.

I'm a USAF peace time vet, 1958/1962, considered a Vietnam era vet by the US gov. but not by my personal standards. I could never measure up to what those boys went through.
    Freedom is not free but paying the cost with young vibrant men and women is truly abhorrent.

And BTW, do not forget the vets that have returned wounded, missing limbs, and suffering from PTSD. I know that is what vets day is for, but these guys living with what was cast upon them need special reembrace for their bravery, what they experienced, and for some,........... their continued suffering.

God Bless all who gave the maximum gift to our country in each and every war fought through out our history.

27. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Dad lost a bunch of his friends during WW2. One pic says it all. Don't have to say what the checkmarks mean. 8th Squadron Gunners photographed early on. Most were lost 42'-43'. 5 more (not marked) were KIA later on. 8th Sqdn Gunners01 (2).jpg

Stogy, R A Wrench, slim38 and 10 others like this.
  28. My Dad 1945, glad he made it home in one piece, many didn't. Thanks to all who have served and those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

Attached Files:

29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Been to Arlington National Cemetery several times while in the Military. Always went once a year TDY. Each time that we went, we would visit the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier and watch the Changing Of The Guard. It was always a sobering moment.
    We always walked the grounds to visit the War Memorials. The Korean War Memorial can be haunting as it's very life like. My favorite!
    At the Riverside National Cemetery is the Medal Of Honor Memorial that I constantly visit. It's a very nice place to visit and contemplate life.
    I have a Great Uncle Buddy, my Mom's Uncle, who was killed in the Pacific during a Jap attack on his ship. Buddy was never recovered.
    My Mom had a picture of him that always hung in the hallway. I would always stop and look at it. I did this until I grew up and left the house to be on my own. I honestly believe that Uncle Buddy watched over me during my tours in country.
    Because I lost friends/soldiers and relatives during combat operations, Memorial Day is a special day in my house. It hits home every time.
    If I could change anything, it would be that all who lost their lives to combat would have lived a happy and blessed life.

Stogy, R A Wrench, loudbang and 12 others like this.
  30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It is a sacrilege today that so many want to take away what all those who
    served and all those who sacrificed their lives and died for.

olscrounger, Stogy, loudbang and 13 others like this.