Register now to get rid of these ads!

Memorial Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Memorial Day

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ironically, a post got deleted earlier today because we only allow things like this on the day of... But, I have to work really early tomorrow morning, won't have time to post this, and there's no way in hell I'm going dark on Memorial Day...

So yeah, here's our Memorial Day thread.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I appreciate you.

fauj, zipoleon, chryslerfan55 and 8 others like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Wish I could give a little speech for those that gave they're all... But I'm lost for words...

May they all rest in peace.....:(

5. modagger

modagger

There are those of us that don’t need a nudge to think about our buddies, schoolmates and relatives lost, but for those that do, thanks Ryan for putting the day into perspective.

6. Dad was killed in Vietnam, and my uncle Lloyd, that I'm named after died from brain cancer that he got from agent orange. Yeah, i remember what memorial day is all about. 20190522_125836.jpg

7. williebill

williebill

As I sit safely at home this Sunday, watching WWll in the Pacific for probably the 10th time, I can reflect back on growing up during Vietnam, having a high enough lottery number that I didn't get drafted in 1971, and remember my cousin that survived Vietnam for only 30 days, dying during the seige at Khe Sanh, and my uncle who carried his personal demons from WWll as long as he could, losing his battle by killing himself in 1962. A kind, gentle country boy who survived Normandy, but couldn't make life work after the war.

8. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Lloyd for sure . Respect your families loss. A lot of us lost a lot.
    Station Flags and Home Flags . Grandkids taking on home flags and learning more every year.
    Forever

9. [​IMG]\
    What many fail to comprehend, Memorial Day is to honor the men & women that payed with their lives the ultimate sacrifice defending the freedom we enjoy, it is not about our LIVING veterans.

We should support & honor our vets, but today is dedicated to the fallen. HRP

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Y'all are bad at directions... but given the day tomorrow, I guess we got it let it slide. :)

11. It's not far from tmrw here ;)

12. [​IMG]
    chopper ‘boneyard’, Chu Lai, VN 1969 or 70

13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My build thread is called Soldiers Joy. A pre 40`s Custom. As if it was built before the World War II. A poor mans version of a Duesenberg. A pic I saw when I was 10. Slow going but still at it. Scan0654.jpg

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Warbird_Hotrods2020.jpg

This was something that I did in Inspiration for specifically this Event of Memorial Remembrance...it does resonate with a connection to our Allied involvement shared in many of these monumental conflicts...

Lest We Forget

May They Rest in Peace

Credit to All That Inspired This

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

May They Rest In Peace...

"That Is All"

Hemiman 426, 6inarow, drdave and 6 others like this.
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Ryan!

Attached Files:

17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was a time in WW-2, when the sky's over Europe, were full of DC-3's that paratroopers were jumping out of, pretty amazing how that technology from 1933, and the designing skills of Donald Douglas and the might of the Americans that constructed these great planes, all came together, in an amazing effort to win the war ! So when you see any DC-3, just remember that these glorious workhorse's, are still being flown all of these years later, they are a living link to Americas past, that should be honored and never forgotten !

DSC_2926 (2).JPG

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

19. Garpo

Garpo

20. My brother and I did duty in the Army in the 60s and he in the 70s. Our Dad, his brother and their dad [my grandpa] were in WWII all at the same time.
    Had a cousin in the Korean conflict and even a relative in the civil War.. None of us got killed! and for that I am truly grateful. The people who did die paid the ultimate price for our freedoms and I salute them.

21. There were 12,731 B-17s built between 1936 and 1945 ... Though hundreds were shot down during WWII, many more severely damaged aircraft were able to return their 10-man crews safely to base.

This artwork always reminds me of the thousands of B-17 crewman that didn't return safely :( ... and made the ultimate sacrifice in service to our nation:

Flying Fortress by Ed Tillrock.jpg
    FLYING FORTRESS
    by Ed @ewt2 Tillrock

NOTE: “Flying Fortress” was inspired by a conversation that Ed had with Alex Xydias. Alex was a Flight Mechanic and Turret Gunner on B-17’s in California near the end of the war.

22. In the '70s, I had the honor of meeting one of my Hot Rod heroes, Tom "Stroker McGurk" Medley.

Every year during the NSRA Western Nats or the Goodguys West Coast Nats events, Tom & I got to chat about a lot of subjects ... strangely enough, not always about cars (i.e., Tom loved to talk about his fishing trips with Tex Smith).

Medley presenting Stroker McGurk Award @ the 1st GG WCN in '87.jpg
    Tom Medley presenting Jim "Jake" Jacobs the "Stroker McGurk Award" at the 1st Annual Goodguys West Coast Nationals
    held in August of 1987 ... That's me (yellow arrow) standing next to the stage in front of Gary "Goodguy" Meadors.
    I still remember the conversation when I asked Tom about when he first started drawing cartoons ... he got very somber ... and explained that he drew a lot when he was overseas during WWII ... and proceeded to "lecture me" about the importance of remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country so that we may live with the freedoms that we all enjoy (e.g., Hot Rods, Customs, fishing, etc., etc.).

It wasn't until after Tom passed that some of his WWII cartoons surfaced:

Medley WWII - To Berlin.jpg
    Medley - WWII - Easter Greetings (R&C).jpg
    Medley WWII - Drive inside Germany (R&C).jpg

23. [​IMG]
    Trying to follow directions here.
    The Greatest Generation only had Jeeps for hot rods in WWII.
    Lets remember the men and women who made our lives possible.

24. RRanchero Rick

RRanchero Rick

We will never know all of them, but we owe all of them. Thanks Veterans.

25. brady1929

brady1929

Thanks to all who have given their life for this amazing country. And to all who are currently serving.

26. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Thanks to all who served , all who gave all to allow us to be free and strong .

27. 2361798-bigthumbnail.jpg

28. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

High School years were Vietnam Era, many who graduated with or just ahead of me never came back alive. Can still remember my draft number, was lucky enough it was high, but had a cousin draw #1. Sadly many who went due to draft faced such hatred upon their return, even if they were drafted. I did an addition for a man who was a marine sergeant served three tours, told me he never had a LT that survived more than 3 months.
    My father graduated early during WW2, but the war ended while he was in boot camp.
    He served in Japan as part of the occupation.