Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gassers 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by southcross2631, Oct 28, 2020.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I had forgotten that Rambler had a factory snorkel hood scoop. It would be interesting to see what they would say about that scoop.
    Well it was a long day but the transmission is back together and back in the car. I am wore out ,but it is ready to go test this weekend. To get ready for the London,Ky. race on June 4-5.
    I might load it up and haul it out to the golf course. We have a nice country road that has a good flat straight shot for me to give it a try.

brEad, Crosley, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

We will be running in Crossville, Tn. Saturday. They are having some sort of nostalgic race there.
    We will be using it as a test and tune. Who knows maybe we can win a few rounds and make some money.

3. 6sally6

6sally6

Still need a video!!!;)
    6sally6

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

I will see if we can get some video this weekend.

Truckdoctor Andy and Thor1 like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

No video from the race . It rained today and we didn't make any passes.
    We unloaded the car and went start it up and warm it up and it started backfiring through the carb and acting all kinds of weird . Then it just wouldn't crank at all. I pulled #1 plug and turned it over to check the timing and the dist was turning about half speed. I grabbed the rotor and turned it by hand and it turned so we pulled the dist.
    It had sheared the roll pin on the gear. We lucked up and found a guy that had a pin so we knocked it in and dropped the dist back in and it fired right up and sounded great .
    Anybody ever had one shear for no reason ? I have had one shear when the oil pump locked up, but never just cranking the motor.

48fordnut, Thor1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. Mike, years ago, I had an O/T Ranger with a 2300, it would shear the distributor pin at random. The engine ran great, I rebuilt it approximately 6-8 months before, complete rebuild with a new oil pump. After the second time, I drilled the hole bigger and installed a larger pin. I put another 10,000 miles on it before I sold it and never had another problem.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Seems like it’s been a weekend of weird Ford issues I have a 55 Ford wagon with a 351 w in it and it broke the tab off the rotor in the dist and quit running couldn’t find a new rotor at any local parts store so I fixed it with a self drilling screw I sure hope this rain quits I sure would like to make some passes n my afx car but we’ve been rained out for the last month it seems keep up the good work

Chrome don’t get ya home

Dog_Patch, Thor1, 48fordnut and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Put a couple of tack welds on it if it's a steel gear.

9. 6sally6

6sally6

You're not running a hi-volume/hi-pressure oil pump are you?!
    That 'might' cause it.
    Over-size hole & pin should be the fix.
    6sally6

10. IIRC, Ford used a solid pin with a knurl on one end to retain it. A lot of the aftermarket and rebuilt distributors use the typical hollow 'spring' type roll pin and they're not as strong. I've also seen solid pins with the ends peened for retention, which is what I've used.

loudbang, Thor1 and Randall like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well its fixed. I took it over to one of my friends house and we drilled it out and put another pin in it.
    then we cross drilled it and put a second pin it.
    I am running a standard volume pump . I don't believe in running a high volume or high pressure pumps. Those are crutches for the wrong bearing clearances on a small block Ford.
    It's not a steel gear. So welding is not an option.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got the dist back in and running . Sounds great! Drained the oil out and cut the filter open. No metal
    in the filter ,no metal on the magnetic drain plug so I hope we are good and that was just a fluke.
    Will be loading up Thursday morning and heading for London ,Ky. Hope the weather holds off 35 percent chance of rain all 3 days.
    Any of you Hambers want to come and hang out I have one extra arm band to get you in free both days. I had been saving it for Lloyd but he is elbow deep in his 57 ,trying to get ready for the Hot Rod reunion. Send me a PM and I will leave it at the gate for you.

13. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I know we were talking about these gauges last week and today when the wife had me stop at the Curio and Junk for sale store I found this...
    C11D6D4F-DEAE-495E-81AB-3D113E6FADFC.jpeg
    Looks brand new like it was never used. Had a $25.00 price tag, negotiated it down to $10.00! Now I can really test my hood scoop for effectiveness.

14. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Used one of those for years setting ThermoKing pressure switches... nice units

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Another Hamb member has one he is going to send to me so I can check out my hood scoop.
    Getting ready to leave for London ,Ky. tomorrow morning for the SEGA race on Friday and Saturday.
    I guess nobody is going ,nobody contacted me about the extra arm band I have.

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be there in a heart beat if I wasn't in SoCal. Special place in my heart for SBF's and mid 60's Falcon/Wagons. Hope all your mods work and you hook up this weekend.

Thor1, Joe Travers and loudbang like this.
  17. 6sally6

6sally6

I would love to come 'hang-out' Mike but..... a lil too fer to be just a spec-tater!
    Hope to catch you at a race or two in the Carolinas later this summer/fall (Jackson/Shady Side etc.)
    Looks like it's ..."coming together" for you!
    6sally6

Dog_Patch and Thor1 like this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

We hope it will be better this weekend I am getting tired of being a first round duck. I am being out moneyed and there's not a whole lot I can do about it except out work them or cheat and that doesn't prove anything.

19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Unless the other guy breaks or red lights it's hard to get past first round if you don't spend the bucks the other lane does in heads up racing.

loudbang likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Heads up is a tough nut to crack without a bunch of money.

21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I have a friend who runs a stock class Plymouth, the money he has in his 62 is staggering.

22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Wouldn't doubt that one bit, considering the price of period correct, obsolete performance parts. I would think a modified class would be a bit easier on the wallet, as crazy as that sounds.

Joe

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  23. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

There are very few stock parts in a stocker, aftermarket heads, rods and pistons, custom built transmissions and drilled axles.
    New parts allowed equals new motor to test the combination and a lot of dyno pulls.
    This all for a part time operation maybe 5 races a year.
    I expect the top guys in SEGA'S SS class work the same way.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Depends on allowances ruled by the different sanctioning bodies. A lot of 'nostalgia' racing is more exhibition than competition, IMO. It's a business and I think the draw is in the exhibition, not the competition. If there are wide discrepancies, the nostalgia sanctioning bodies should make it more competitive like the old days. JMO.

Joe

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well we are back from another weekend of racing and ours ended early. I pulled into staging and everything looked good and sounded great. Got to the water box and looked at my gauges one last time and it's good thing I always do that because I had zero oil pressure .
    Shut it off and towed it back to the trailer. We got home and I pulled the dist and was going to turn the oil pump with my priming tool and there was no oil pump drive shaft . So somewhere between the staging lanes and the water box the oil pump locked up and it sheared the shaft off and it fell into the pan.
    Which it must of had that issue at Crossville ,but it didn't show it. I ran it quite a bit on Friday and again on Saturday morning before qualifying.
    So I guess we will be pulling the motor today to pull the pan as well as doing a cam swap while it is out.

AHotRod, Thor1 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  26. spanners

spanners

As they say, "shit happens". Lucky it happened then and not at full song. I've towed 10 hours one way to only do 1 run and lose oil pressure. Back on the trailer and 10 hours back home. Turned out to be my fault for not tightening the oil pump pipe properly.

AHotRod, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Be interesting to see what you find, the only time I have seen a ford oil pump lock up was because of a piece of valve stem seal making it's way into the gears.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  28. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Darn Mike, I was so looking forward to hearing about some good runs for you! I hope you’re back up and running without any serious problems.

Truckdoctor Andy, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  29. rlsteel

rlsteel

I have a big pump shaft if you want a extra.Just send me your add and I will send it.(free)

Truckdoctor Andy, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

Sorry for the poor luck Mike.
    SEGA Super Stock Rules !

loudbang and Thor1 like this.