Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949-1953 Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51’-59’olds&huds, May 29, 2021.

1. I’m 16 and wanting to buy my 1st car, I’m shooting to buy a 1949,50,51,52,53,or 1958 Oldsmobile super 88 or fiesta. I was wondering if I were to buy any of those cars would it be possible to put a modern LS engine in them for reliability sake, are there any engine adapter plates that anyone online makes or would I have to get them custom and how would I go about connecting the engine to the car. I haven’t taken engine class yet so speak in basic terms. ( I mostly prefer the 1953 Oldsmobile models )

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

2. The LS based small-block engine is the primary V-8 used in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. -I copied this from the wiki

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

3. trollst

trollst

Ummm, Ian, I don't think you'll get much help here, we don't do LS stuff here.

Paul likes this.

4. What do we do here

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

5. Come on Anthony, you KNOW the LS is one of those engines that is off topic here and banned here!!
    I think what Ian is referring to is a GENERIC SMALL BLOCK CHEVY (take the hint and change your title and content, Ian. Then you're golden here), so I'm SURE someone here can offer some advice on an Olds/SBC combination for a young guy trying to live the dream, right Anthony?
    Thanks, Myrick!

6. I’m willing to rebuild the old engine and I’m all for rebuilding it but this is going to be my daily driver so I don’t know how much fiddling I Will have to do

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

7. It doesn’t even have to be an LS, just a reliable engine that is somewhat modern to fit in something from that era?

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

8. It doesn’t even have to be an LS, just a reliable engine that is somewhat modern to fit in something from that era?

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The '49-'58 Olds engine is somewhat Modern.

If you keep talking LS this thread will be deleted.

10. Ok sorry I didn’t mean it

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

11. I love LS engines. I get lots of cool vintage parts from those guys.

12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, you’re a young guy with a dream. More power to you, most of us were there once, some of us are just old guys with a dream now.

I’ve got a soft spot for Oldsmobile, my dad had a ‘61 Super 88 2 door I’d kill for now. But an early Olds like your talking about is really jumping into the deep end of the pool. Can be done, but a lot of money and work. Doing an engine change can be a challenge for guys that have taken the engine class.

I’d say you need to drop back, look at the parts availability, and pick a target more obtainable. They’re out there. There’s guys on here that teach that can give you more advice and help you evaluate your skills, etc.

I’m 71, when Tom bought the 365 327 to drop into his 60 Vette in 1966, it would be OT here.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

13. spudshaft

spudshaft

Hey Ian. I’m glad you have an interest in old cars. The motor in the car you find will probably be reliable after you spend some time with it. A lot of guys look for Olds motors from that era. If you have to go “modern” look for a newer olds - they made them well into the 70’s. LS is pretty much not welcome here as it isn’t traditional. For what it’s worth, if that’s what I have in my Silverado it’s gutless anyway. My dad had, and totaled, what I think was 58 98 holiday hardtop. Great cars.

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

He is a youngster trying to learn the ropes and won’t have the first clue as to what goes here and doesn’t. No motors past 1960s, any generic 350 small block with a carb will qualify, points are preferred three pedals are better than two because shifting is fun! No computers, no efi, no computer controlled transmissions, no donk rims, and last but not least no Rat Rods. Now take a deep breath and try to figure out your game plan. Good luck Ian.

15. Thanks :) , I like keeping cars original and bone stock, my game plan was to get a 1953 olds, leave everything bone stock, then put the stock generator on my shelf, get a more reliable alternator, restore the paint, chrome, wheels, and interior to stock just like the 1950s, so the car looks identical to if you were to buy it when it was new but have the reliability of a turn key daily driver so I can get to school on time :)

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

16. Read my game plan down below

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

17. Read my game plan down below

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

18. spudshaft

spudshaft

solid plan. Olds of that era are/can be bad ass.

19. I know right! I love the 53’ fiesta

Thanks,
    Ian Montague

Junior
    Cedarburg High School

20. jaracer

jaracer

Ian, those old Oldsmobiles were quite reliable and powerful in their day. You would probably have to overhaul the engine on a car that old and the Olds would be more expensive than a SBC. However, the cost might be offset by everything you would have to buy to switch to a SBC and make everything work. Just something to think about.

olscrounger and Paul like this.
  21. Malibu406

Malibu406

Fitting a small block in place of a straight 8 (I assume thats whats in it) is more of a PIA than difficult, but may push your capabilities at your age. Some help from some experienced folks would be great.

the engine bay is narrow and long. First order of bussiness is to break out the welder to make engine and tranny mounts. Since a V-8 is shorter and you normally keep it back as far as possible, likely going to either extend the shroud or use electric fans.

Then you will have to find a correct length drive shaft for the new combo and likely converter ujoints to mate trans, drive shaft and old rear end.

if it an X-brace frame exhaust is tough to fit, unless you use single exhaust.

Then the 70 year old wiring needs looked at for safety, plus you would probably do a 12 olt conversion. I suggest keeping the 6-volt at least at first.

Thats just the big things. If that is out of your capabilities/wallet then there is allot of positives to getting what you have running reliable and gain some experience and have some fun before you do an upgrade to a later V-8.

You have a great oppurtunity to learn allot about things designed when mechanical engineer’s ruled with mechanisms, widgets and gadgets. You will also fall in love with the simplicity of the era.

Then when you modernize and see how the replaced allot of those things with Bosch relays, MSD boxes, electronic sensors you will both appreciate that old tank and see the progression of the Automobile.

Good luck

22. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'53 is 1st year 12 volt ...

23. Malibu406

Malibu406

Great, thats one off the list for Ian!

Frankie47 likes this.
  24. This place really isn't a stock place either......they like performance and go fast things, just old (pre 1964). So you can source out a Rocket motor, build it up with vintage speed parts and go to town. They also like traditional customs here too. It's a weirdly great place, poke around a bit and you'll see. I lot of us got the traditional bug in or around high school also.....even though high school could have only been 10-35 yrs ago.

25. You need to buy a car first.

drive it, look it over and iron out the bugs.

msy not need a thing except a clean up.

may need some stuff replaced and refurbished

may need a complete resto

What is your skill level ?

cool car your picking.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  26. lonewolf52

lonewolf52

Welcome aboard Ian.
    My daily driver in high school was a 52 Ford. I'm 30 now but my experience and painful lessons might still be relevant.

1st and foremost it's your car. Do what you think is cool and ignore anyone who wants to give unsolicited advice. It will be constant and annoying. You won't be able to stop for gas without every random asshole in a Carolla telling you how to build your car.

Since you asked here
    Buy a running car. Unless you or someone you know very well is a really good mechanic an LS swap is going to be very expensive and maybe impossible. The 88 and I think the Fiesta came with very good v8s. A well maintained original or an older restoration will be plenty reliable.

You will quickly realize that driving this thing is the most fun you've ever had. Replace the brakes and do all of the little things first. Save anything major for the winter. At this point rebuilding the carb and rewiring the taillights might be major for you.

Take it slow and carefully consider any big changes. I can't tell you how many quick things turned into month long projects for me.

Being a high school kid with a sick old car is an awesome experience. Buy the best running car you can afford, make it relatively safe, and drive the piss out of it.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T290 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39, mctim64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. v8flat44

v8flat44

Ian, i had a pal with a 53 Olds. He was hard on that car. It never failed him. The Rocket 88 engine was & still is sought after.

28. Welcome, to the forum.
    Good luck in finding the car of your dreams, once found your personal experience with it will dictate any changes you will want to make in the future.
    This site will be a valuable tool, if you choose the pre '65 build plan this site caters to.