Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Originally, yes..I believe. Around 1970, the aluminum PG became a legal replacement.. Not sure how they were attached to tri-5's but they bolted right into Vettes and X frame cars.

2. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

In that era, the Glide would have been cast iron. Gary Glover or Mark Yacavone will be able to clarify this further. You may recall that tri-five Chevrolets had no provision for side-mounts on the block. The motor was anchored via bolts on the lower front corners of the block and the back was supported by a mid-mount that was cast into the bell housing adapter for the transmission. I never owned a tri-five other than the Corvettes but I don't believe that there was a transmission cross-member as a part of the stock assembly. I was able to put an aluminum Glide in the Corvette because the saddle mount that supported the front of the block was hung from the water-pump bolts and there was a provision for a rear crossmember in the X-frame to support the transmission.

3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^I have the last two A-1 Racing Automatics, Tri-Five Chevrolet adapter bellhousings to use an aluminum Glide^^^. The stock bell is cut off, and the A-1 bell attached to the front pump using the bolts. Mounts are CAST IN. The trans still "hangs" off the back of the engine. The CURRENT rules now allow aluminum Glides to be used in the Tri-Fives, now that the Tri-Fives once again allowed in Stock, but, they are also allowing the use of three speed automatics (???). The adapter bells I have are very similar to the SFI certified bells used with most modern automatics; I did't get any instructions however, and don't know if any gaskets or O-rings are used. Anyone know? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. f.i.57chevynut

f.i.57chevynut

The 3 speed auto is probably considered a replacement for the 3 speed Turboglide which was available from 57 to 61.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

They are even allowing the 3 speed autos in the 55's and 56's. I was surprised at that also. I figured with all that's available for the aluminum Glides now, that's what they'd be using, only it's not the case. Even rear ends can be swapped. They're more like EARLY Super Stock drive trains with stock type engines. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

NHRA, Section 11, Stock, Drivetrain:2. Any model transmission, same make as car, with a maximum of 3 forward speeds (unless OEM equipped with more than 3 forward speeds). And, an aftermarket case can be used that meets Spec. 4.1 Any OEM and aftermarket manual transmissions can be used having the same number of forward speeds.
    Boy, Stock is't Stock anymore! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That is precisely the avenue through which this particular dilution of the rules arrived. A few years later, the entire transmission section of the Stock rules was rewritten to the format that was quoted in the post following yours. This is only one of a progression of rules changes that have made and remade the face of Stock Eliminator over the past 30-or-so years. Among the first changes was the one that removed the requirement to meet stock valve spring pressures and stock duration specs. Since then, the crack in the dam has widened progressively until only a broad sense of what it took to make a car run in Junior Stock is still a part of the game. However, to quote one of my long time friends, Cal Method, "There's no substitute for ring seal!"

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Yes

9. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

They allow manual 4 speed transmissions to replace the 3 speeds also.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Not sure if tribute or restored.

2 tribute or restored.jpg

11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I just picked this up the other day, well actually a good friend and I picked it up. :D
    20210508_183641.jpg

12. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Did you get the starter? That's the hard part to find.

13. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

That is Wayne Jesel's he built it a few years ago. The original car got made into a station wagon if I remember right.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Haven't found the starter yet.

15. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^As far as a starter motor goes, and I base this off the fact that guys would knock the lower/outer starter motor bolt boss off a manual bell-housing, and use a block mounted starter motor^^^. I wonder if the same could be done with the Hydro? The stock starter mounted somewhat "upside down" however4, so there may not be enough room even if the bell-housing is "modified". I've heard you can use the cast iron Powerglide/manual trans slip yoke, and counter bore the splines so they are "shorter" to fit the Hydro output shaft splines. But, if you want the stock starter motor and slip yoke, I'd start with one of the antique truck yards that advertises in Hemming's. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

16. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I borrowed this from the Willys thread for all the automatic trans fans.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. loudbang

loudbang

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. loudbang

loudbang

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Chuck Norton and Tom 57 150 like this.
  22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

I, too, like the car but it seems to me that the products identified by decals appeared on the scene somewhat later than Junior Stock.

Spoggie and Tom 57 150 like this.
  23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd say, with the stripes on the roof that were very popular with Junior Stocker's, that it probably started it's "racing career" in Junior Stock. With the natural progression of many drag cars, it eventually wound up as a Bracker Racer Better than being parked behind a barn to rot away. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. Of course Chuck is correct..Another way to tell would be by the PRO (ET) right on the side glass. ;-)

Tom 57 150 likes this.
  25. 1934coupe

1934coupe

????????^^^^^^^^^^^

Pat

The post in question seems to have been deleted or moved.

Pat

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    Tom 57 150 and loudbang like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Some of these starting now many have been seen before and are tributes or restored.

7 start of new batch and sheep and goats jr stock.jpg

27. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Tom 57 150 like this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think this one just resided in my neighborhood , for a bit recently . It not this one a twin . All I could see was the striped roof and at was a Wagon

loudbang likes this.
  29. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Originally owned in the 60's by the Patrick Bros. of Omaha, Ne. and driven by Fred Anderson (RIP) of Omaha, for the win at 68 Natls

Tom 57 150, Chuck Norton and loudbang like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang