Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trunk fit issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Alt, May 28, 2021.

1. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

Hey all - wondering if there is an appropriate way to go about fitting my deck lid (1950 Shoebox) before I get too ambitious and go beyond the point of no return.

The left side gap is nice, but the right side rubs the quarter panel. No "easy" movement in the quarters.

Do I need to cut from the deck lid edge? Cut and try to readjust the edge of the quarter? Try to pull the quarter out a bit with a come-along?

Thanks 20210528_165613.jpeg 20210528_165607.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Spread the quarters apart.

anothercarguy likes this.
  3. We had a Chevy come thru the plant once that the deck lid overlapped both quarters. Was fixed in heavy repair

4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't you split the difference with the lid adjustment?

flatford39 likes this.

5. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

If I give it all I can to the left, then they both practically rub. I'm guessing when replacing the right hand quarter, there was a bit of movement and the alignment got an 1/8 - 1/4” off.

In this picture you can see it...it bows a bit inward and really screws up the gap. 20210528_174353.jpeg

427 sleeper likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably like that from the factory. Be careful sanding or filing off metal I’d definitely try the spreading. If you have use of a port-a-power it’s your best bet. Go ez..

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pic really show's the mis-alignment. I think I'd make a relief cut in the top of the quarter, alongside the trunk opening and make the gap right. Spreading with a port-a-power might buckle the side of the quarter.

8. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

That's what I thought I might need to do.

A very thin "football" shaped cut where the middle of the shape is the same width that when shifted to the right would even up the trunk opening around the trunk lid.

I might try some very gentle port-a-power to see if it shifts before cutting, though. That certainly would be the easier solution.

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. push that part of the quarter panel out before you finish welding. I don't think it needs to be cut. push from LOW on the driver side.

anothercarguy likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

I think you need to check the fit repeatedly while installing the quarter panel, eh?

I expect you'll have to do some cutting and splicing to get a nice even gap. you might be able to push the quarter out some, but don't bet on it.

Good luck!

(yeah, the only quarter I replaced, the deck lid hits in a couple spots)

Alt and mrfliboy like this.
  11. Generally speaking the deck lid has the correct line. The fix should be in the quarter. Finding a solid foot hold for a porta power was an issue for me on my 51 so I went a different way. I used a 2X6 and my short handle Mall. I didn't have to beat it, just talk to it firmly and it moved very easy and came back into good gap just fine. No cuts or reliefs necessary. I don't really know what I'm doing, I just seem to get lucky often. I'll take that.

12. Alt

Alt
    from Michigan

Sounds like we've got the same approach style. I'll give the 2x6 a shot with some "gentle" persuasion.

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Porta power will push whatever it's braced against, you might try pulling from an anchor outside the car, come along to a tree would be traditional

Alt and Desoto291Hemi like this.