Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "How to drive a Model T ..." video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, May 27, 2021.

1. Check out his rebuild video, too.

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really enjoyed that! Thanks! Won't be rushing out to get me a T but it's interesting to see the actual driving procedure. I knew it was pretty involved but not quite that involved! The absence of what we would now regard as normal brakes I'm sure helps maintain concentration!

Chris

sgtlethargic likes this.
  3. As weird as it is to us now driving a Model T, when the Model A came out some did not like the "more standard" shifting of the A. There was even an aftermarket item that was a plate that you would mount to the floor that fit around the shifter so you could see what gear you were in, and where to move the shifter to get the gear you wanted. One of the selling points of the T was that it was easy to drive.... even going as far to say "even women can drive it". Guess that won't fly now will it?

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Cool video. Thanks for posting

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

He will find out another function for the spark lever if he ever decides to hand crank it. :D . He will also find out you never wrap your thumb around the crank.:) Lippy

46international and winduptoy like this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

also, drive with pointy shoes and not the wide assed ones
    this is really a note to self
    The reverse pedal is in the middle and a little lower than the other two
    I got my wide boot stuck in between the two while in reverse and a tight situation that rearranged some things in the process
    it was exciting for a short time and then over just as fast...
    T's are fun IMG_20191016_113434407.jpg

Budget36 likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Damn cool! It’s been a good 50 years since I got a ride in a T a few times from a friend of my Dads who would stop by now and then. At that age I kinda recall the hands moving as he was driving, but never noticed the foot action. The putt-putt of the engine still makes me smile.
    Thanks for the post!

8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Thanks! Always wondered how Grandpa Bob drove his T a century ago. By the time I was interested, his mind had wandered a good bit.

Joe

9. Good anti-theft device!

10. squirrel

squirrel

looks like his pedals are out of adjustment... :)

fun cars to drive. I had one last year. Very different. Everyone should have the opportunity to drive one, some time.

46international likes this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

12. My father restored a 1917 Touring car. I drove it a few times. Very different process, but not too bad once you get used to it.
    Gotta remember that a Model T was still an incredible improvement over a horse and buggy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international likes this.
  13. SlamIam

SlamIam

I drive my 17' T Depot Hack often in the context of serving as a docent at our restored historic Southern Pacific Railroad Depot - it took me quite awhile to get to the point where driving it seems automatic and normal - retraining my left foot not to treat the left pedal as a regular clutch pedal took quite a bit of time - my T is hand crank start only, kids really get a kick out of seeing me crank start it - I really don't want to kill the engine at every stop light, but that's what my left foot wanted to do before it got retrained.

Inked2021-05-08 blanked_LI.jpg

squirrel likes this.
  14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Cool video.
    Were those women in the back ground walking up a flat
    hill?