Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The McPhail 40 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Krash Vegas, May 27, 2021.

1. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

As the new owner of this car, its sometimes hard to know what to change, what to leave alone, and what really needs to be fixed. I wanted this car back in 2018 when Dennis put it up for sale, but it wasn't in the cards for me. He did a trade + cash deal and I forgot about it. It showed up for sale about an hour from me back in Feb of 2021 and I couldn't get there fast enough. A little haggling and I drove it home. I believe I am the 6th or 7th owner since Dennis let it go, Its been at a Ford Dealership, as a result of one owner passing, ran across the auction block, and I heard it even spent time in a pawn shop. I think it saw some hard times after leaving Dennis, but now that I have it, I'm fixing some things that were broken, busted, not working, and stuff I flat just don't like..
    The first ever Devil head shifter knob was long gone, so I made my own from an old Microphone I had been saving for something, and since I'm in Nashville, it seemed like the right time and right car.

I also decided that since the dash insert was falling out, and there were no turn signal indicators, most of the gauges had stopped working due to bad grounds. I felt the spacing on the white one was also really weird and I couldn't even see the Speedo. I made a whole new one and went with black to help break up some of the white.

One of the fish tail exhaust tips was ripped off, so I had to repair a bent tailpipe and replace the tip, that luckily had been saved. The trunk latch gave it up at some point and so I changed that out for a bear claw latch and an electric solenoid to open it up. It also had a serious overheating issue due to (a) an electric fan that was wired to a switch that barely worked and (b) the thermostat housing is higher than the upper radiator hose and there was no good way to completely fill the radiator. I think other than the seats, which are some early 80's Toyota buckets, I'm done changing stuff with maybe the exception of adding frog mouth scoops to the Stombergs, with the insides painted Pink, as a throw back to the pink firewall that is now black. I cant decide on this change just yet, but its easy and not permanent. The ol Nailhead has an oil leak I have to track down but other than that, I believe its finally going to be ready to see the streets again very soon mag.jpg dash after.jpg dash1.jpg dashx.jpg nail1.jpg pink.png v1.jpg v2.jpg v3.jpg .

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  2. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

And a video I sent in to Hotwheels.

3. Sweet! Personally, I would have to put black running boards on it. Otherwise it's an awesome car.

4. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Drive the heck out of it,,,that is what it was made for,,,,,

40ragtopdown and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

This is how the radiator hose was when I got it. The thermostat housing is higher than the inlet on the radiator and that kept the radiator from getting full.
    I added a very ugly, but effective in line filler to the upper hose and got an extra 3.5 quarts of coolant in there. Seems to be holding fast at 180 now. Next, I just have to find a way to make it look a little better.

hose.jpg

7. I'd lose the exhaust coming out of the running boards in two places. Maybe black running boards, but the white would look good if it wasn't so puffy. Oh, I'd paint the firewall pink again, along with the inside of the scoops you want to put on.

8. Keep the white boards. Keep the exhaust. Change the gauge insert color to white, closely matching the rest of the dash. Oh, and get a horn button...

9. williebill

williebill

It's got wide whites, a white top, why not white running boards?
    You didn't ask, but I'd leave those things alone, and the exhaust, too.
    It's a very cool, well known car, and you didn't lust after it cause you wanted to change the look, did you?
    It's badass, and unique. You done good.

OG lil E and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. That car has the coolest flames I've ever seen. :cool:
    The overlapping "big & little" flame sets and the white/yellow/orange/red color fading are both brilliant.

Tman likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This car was built by Ronnie Dick of Wichita Kansas....

12. The car obviously makes a loud statement. Trying to tame it down won’t have any great effect, and takes away from its’ heritage, pink and puffy is what this car is about- oh yeah and flames. Dash looks great, glove box art looks to be one off, I hope you post when you change out the seats. Make it safe and legal, then drive! Does anyone ever uncork the exhaust? The magazine spread doesn’t appear to have the chrome wiper stubs, not sure if you have a plan for that. What does it look like with the top down, or I guess off if it is a Carson style top. Should be a fun car- enjoy.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. exterminator

exterminator

I love it! You will stand out where ever you go in Nashville. Make sure you get a flamed hawaiian shirt to wear when you drive it.:cool:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wonder how it would look if the running boards were stock black and top was also black?

15. 1pickup

1pickup

Nice score! I'm not sure some of these guys understand what you have there. Replace those bucket seats & try to keep the rest as close to "as built" as you can. Jealous!

Krash Vegas likes this.
  16. I agree, how many of these folks even know who Dennis is? A sad state of affairs.

17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Got to know him at Paso, his booth was close to Chick's and traded for some art, I think I got the better of the deal. But like many artist, their popularity rises and falls like the tides,,,

Tman likes this.
  18. I just see this whole newer wave that has come through in the last 10 years that has huge gaps in their rod and kustom knowledge. This is both a good and a bad thing. Good because that means new people. Bad because some of our history is lost.

As for the 40. I would not change much. Always dug the car.

Just Gary and williebill like this.