Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever use a Sparkomatic shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin'eye, Nov 29, 2003.

1. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

Spark-O-Matic had a couple different models[prices] of shifters-the one I remember the best was under $20 at K-mart.The shift handle was 1/2 inch round rod,coarse threaded both ends.Within the first few weeks the handle would break off right at the start of the threads where it screwed into the shifter.No problem,you would un-screw the shift knob,turn the handle upside down and go on down the road-leaving the very sharp broken end to grab a shift!!!MANY bandaids later you would finally thread the broken end and start the process all over!!

2. Koz

Koz

First piece of "speed equiptment" I bought new. Didn't work real well but I still have a soft spot for them in my heart. I reworked a few over the years to actually function, mostly with Hurst parts.
    [​IMG]

Deuces and belair like this.
  3. putz

putz
    from wisc.

treat it gental ,it was low cost shifter .... good luck

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. Koz

Koz

I bought the one like this at Nichols Discount City. A true hot bed of performance.......

7. Had one in my 1962 Chevy Nova in 1968 . My father and I went to a speed shop in New Brunswick NJ on a trip to see family. Spent my hard earned money on it. Yup it did jam at times as you said. Thought it was the nuts as opposed to the 3 on the tree and came from a real speed shop!! Memories!!

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Great memories for me. All the things we did back when were precious memories. Wish I could go back for a day. Lippy

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  9. pnevells

pnevells

Sparkomatic shifter was first piece of aftermarket I ever bought , trying to flat shift with it moved me to a Hurst Mystery shifter and then on to a Hurst Syncho-loc

Deuces likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing beats a...... logo_hurst_red.jpg
    ;)

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I agree but there were a couple pretty decent shifters that came out in the sixties. PG or PD was one, though I can't remember the exact name.

12. Koz

Koz

The ones with the flat plate shift lever seemed to work way better than the ones with the rod for a handle. As a bonus, I had the speakers from the Sparkomatic hooked to my AM radio!

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

When I was in high school, anybody who bought anything sparklematic was ridiculed for being so foolish as to buy that worthless junk.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. I did.
    In HS I replaced a perfect 3 on the tree with one.
    My wise uncle warned me.
    Shifted like crap.
    Was it the shifters fault or my teenage ignorance?
    I’m going 49/51 both.
    In my favor.

milwscruffy likes this.