Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to use in steering gear box for 47 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stoke, May 26, 2021.

1. stoke

stoke
    from monroe,wi

Redid my steering box in my 47 Desoto Was wondering what type fluid goes in steering box Thanks

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I don't know what is called for in that box, but there are a few different brands of lube available for manual steering boxes.
    I've been using J-D cornhead grease and no problems. I made a nozzle for one of my grease guns, and pump it into the box until it's full. Nice and easy.

And no leaks!

Truck64, jaracer and Johnny Gee like this.
  3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

4. squirrel

squirrel

I would only get it about half full, not all the way full....but either cornhead grease, if you can get it, or another type of 00 weight grease will work. Can't find cornhead grease in the desert, so I got some 00 grease at Tractor Supply (yes, we have tractor supply stores, but no implement places)

Truck64 likes this.
  5. BJR

BJR

6. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

It takes 90wt gear oil but after that leaks out, cornhead grease works great.

AVater likes this.
  7. getow

getow

OO Grease from Tractor Supply as previously stated will stay put and flow as needed.

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

Why not 90 weight gear oil ... then fix the leaks?

9. brading

brading

Wondered what Cornhead grease was, so Googled it. Its what I know as liqiud grease. Just checked on 00 grease, now I know what to advise if someone asks what to put in a leaky steering box. Learn something new on here everyday.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I haven't re-did the steering gearbox in the truck, it tracks straight as a train on the highway which is nice, though 90wt gear will not stay in it particularly long. I switched to STP, it is easily found just about anywhere and seems to stay put. Picker head or corn head grease is known as "self-leveling" grease. NLGI #00 was not available on the rack at the local NAPA sort of surprised me, but maybe not as there really isn't an automobile application.

NLGI #2 grease, used for chassis lubricant is said to be too thick, and will "channel" away from the parts that need to be lubricated in use.

The Cork sniffers of course, will only want the officially consecrated Special Bespoke Fair Trade Manual Steering Gear Lubricant.

Adriatic Machine likes this.