Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Newsbreak!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 26, 2021.

1. For the most part, we're a self-policing bunch... having said that, the law of averages means we'll have impassioned people on both sides of any point; good or bad.

FWIW, I really dig the new Garage Journal site!

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the other group that I am on a lot (truck group) you have to be a paid subscribed member to post in the classifieds, or post a parts wanted post.
    I don't see a thing wrong with that.

I think the people throwing a fuss are the same ones who are so full of themselves that they think that they are the only ones who count. They are that way everywhere be it on the net, at a car show or at the grocery store.

One thing that I will say is if you see a seller you don't recognize research that seller, Check their previous posts and how long they have been on here. That is even more critical when you are hunting a part that may be rare and rather spendy. Research that individual. I'd say that asking where else the person has sold stuff and under what name is a fair question.

I have found out first hand that you will run into a lot of individuals who only check or sell on the classifieds and never even look at the board and like to brag abut that fact if you wear a HAMB shirt to a large swap meet. A lot of them want the parts but they usually will tell you that they have issues with the rules of the HAMB and if you see their vehicle it usually is way OT in the way it is equipped.

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Need me to stand guard at the door?
    Life isn't a "free for all". Life has rules and if we can't follow a simple rule then society will break down as a whole and chaos will reign in the streets.
    It's bad enough that we have rodder's who, as some say, "ride with their left arm hanging out of the window". Have rodder's who want a direct answer to their non traditional builds.
    Are we, as a community, to give in to the non rule hoard? The very people who refuse to read and follow rules and guidelines? NAY' I SAY!
    Winston Churchill once said, "We Will Never Surrender".
    What was the Continental Army before they had rules and learned to march? They were a bunch of rowdy unskilled farmers who finally learned to dance all thanks to a German leader. Is this what we shall become? Rowdy farmers who can't dance? Nay, I Say! I don't know anything about farming except to pull weeds once in a while.
    We need rules and guidance. We need the direction of someone to smack the rules on to us. We need whiners to stop whining.
    We need American made products and real Ice Cream!

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Ebbspeed, twenty8, Thor1 and 6 others like this.
  4. G_Don

G_Don

I wrote a thread about why I couldn't start PMing people, because I've been a member over 4 years and used to be able to and was confused why I couldnt. I mostly just search and occasionally add to the conversation.

I'm still relatively new to the hobby so I don't know anything compared to some guys, and like to dig a little before asking a question, as theres almost always someone that chimes in to "DO A SEARCH!!!".

So sorry for starting a thread about why I cannot PM, and now the reasoning makes sense, I guess I was just confused as I was able to PM and then was not after a few years of being a member. (It actually led me to see things I wanted to buy, but couldn't figure out how, lol.)

Just my $0.02
    Gordy

5. @Ryan, Could you please explain the significance of the "lion holding a wrench" logo in the redesigned GarageJournal forum?

GarageJournal_Logo.JPG

UPDATE: Nevermind ... I just found the explanation in your What's with these design elements?! post ... very cool! ... but where can I purchase a "Cochran Speednut" :D ?

6. “I am lion, hear me bust my knuckles”.
    “If you can dodge a wrench, You can dodge a lion”

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Totally respect why you made the rule - looking out for us!
    Sorry it caused you problems.

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. YEP!

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan thanks for all the efforts of yourself and the other mods/admins!

Will the new version of the site have a little indicator that you have a new PM when you open the HAMB, similar in operation to the Fordbarn one which is really handy?

Thanks again
    Pete

PS nice to see so many Alliance members posting on here!

Thor1 likes this.
  11. :D 0BB04933-5DEE-49E6-8697-5E12B24ACA86.gif

To be fair ...... the 10 post idea sounded great until you got guys posting 10 bs threads and all that.
    You have a fantastic site here , you n the mods should be commended for what you do.
    Flying by the seat of your pants and doing your best to keep this site moving forward while staying stuck in time !!
    I love it !! Thanks Home Slice !

20D0DD1C-5DC0-48B1-84AE-C7B179B3F628.gif

And it’s your site do what you need to with it, I’m sticking around anyways .

Tman, Thor1 and Baumi like this.
  12. It's a two edged sword, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, the 10 post deal sounded like a great idea but not all great ideas pan out, the 10 post rule did seem to cut down on the spammers touting erectile dysfunction pills but they seem to be back.

Just a off the wall thought but would it be possible to implement a cooling off period where a person joins but it takes 3 days to activate the account, similar to the gun law here in South Carolina and have it clearly stated in the registration, it would be a minor inconvenience to a potential member but it may also be a deterrent to spammers. HRP

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. @Ryan you should outsource stamping tags to your 15 year old. Printed list of user names, dollar a tag and they get done while you're busy with everything else.

14. We've had that for a long time. If the icon is red, you have an unread message...
    Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 12.09.31 PM.png

15. The new setup does have the alert

panhead_pete likes this.
  16. Speedy Canuck showed the icon right,,,,we already have it .
    And please,,,,,,don’t make anything here like the Barn .
    I visit it regularly,,,,,but after two days,,,,,usually it is still on the same page,,,,,not a lot of traffic there .
    No offense,,,,,,wonderful people over there,,,,,,many of them seem to be here as well .
    It is just not fun to navigate it,,,,especially the pic posting part .

Tommy

warbird1 likes this.
  17. You've been on here a long time Tommy. Don't you remember the H.A.M.B. of old? FordBarn runs on VBulletin that used to power us here as well. :)

Tman likes this.
  18. twenty8

twenty8

There is a marked difference between a "spammer" and a "scammer".

Spammer: Creates an account with the intent of advertising a product or service, and often adds links to lead people to other websites. These other websites are where the real trouble (scams) can happen if you are not internet savvy.

Scammer: Actively engages in deception to defraud people out of money or valuable items or commodities. A much more dangerous animal. Anyone buying, selling or trading, especially over the internet, should educate themselves accordingly and use any advantages they can (paypal, etc).

The internet, and all the crooked, slippery things it brings with it, have been around long enough for everyone to be fully aware of the potential dangers. If you choose to participate in any form of internet trading, there is no excuse for not being informed and prepared. The warnings have been shouted from the hilltops since it all began. It is your own responsibility to look out for yourself. Always trade on your terms........no compromise.

And on a side note, the crooked, slippery bastards have always been there. The internet just gave them an almost perfect platform to operate from........................ Welcome to the modern world.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  19. You’re right speedy,
    But back then I didn’t have the capability to post stuff like now.
    It is a breeze now,,,,,,and maybe the new version here helped,,,,I’m not sure ,,,,,LoL.
    With my IPad,,,,,it is touch screen,,,,,better than a desktop computer,,,,,,I can take pics with my iPhone,,,,send to the pad,,,,,edit if necessary,,,,,post here like it was butter !,,,,,,lol .

Either way,,,,,,as long as it gets better and easier,,,,,I’m in !

Tommy

Speedy Canuck likes this.