Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Line wrench- an Interesting version

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 26, 2021.

1. I spotted this on the interwebs.
    Ive never seen one like this?!? but I’ve not spent much time in tool isle out of the US.
    My bestest most expensive ones will spread and round over stubborn fittings.

6EE871A9-1AA4-4659-82F7-BDCBE0704396.png

Hnstray, Truck64, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  2. looks real sturdy.....but kinda bulky too.

Truck64 and Stogy like this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see how these would be much different than the five-point flare nut wrenches we in the US are used to. The "U" shaped cutout would help to locate the wrench properly on the nut, but that's the only advantage I can see.

Line wrench.jpg

slowmotion, Stogy, pprather and 5 others like this.
  4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

More spread of contact is good for not stripping or snapping of the fitting.

clem and Stogy like this.

5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

It looks more like a motorcycle spoke wrench.

6. fourspd340

fourspd340

Two things I like about those wrenches:

A. I do like the added rigidity of the enclosed end.

B. The offset of the wrench ends is excellent! Mine do not have that and it can be a challenge when when working on 11x2.5 or 11.3 inch brake drums.

Hnstray, Stogy and LAROKE like this.
  7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Don't see them working on a flare nut. No way to get the wrench onto the hex of the fitting.
    Or, I'm missing something....?

8. brading

brading

They are often used on hydraulic pipe work. I have made similar with a normal ring spanner with a bit added as per the slot to stop the jaws spreading.

winduptoy, deathrowdave and Stogy like this.
  9. jaracer

jaracer

I've never had a problem with my Snap-On line wrenches spreading like the first post mentioned.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, now I see what @31Vicky with a hemi meant about spreading. I've never had that issue with my SK flare nut wrenches. Or maybe I've never had to put that much torque on one.

Stogy likes this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

I have a Snap-on flare wrench that I broke. Son took it to work and to the Snap-on dealer truck. Dealer looked up the numbers and said it was produced during the war way back when and was not guaranteed. As it turns out, it stated that on the wrench too!

Dave

Hnstray and Stogy like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Turn it over.:D

13. I was doing an engine swap and needed to remove the Q-jet carb from a 350 chev motor. I had an S-K line wrench in 5/8ths and spread it trying to remove the line. The Matco truck was outside so I bought a 5/8ths line [flare nut] wrench from the Matco guy and it spread too...The Matco guy called BS so he tried to loosen the line with a second Matco wrench and it spread too!
    Next day the Snap-on truck shows up and I bought a 5/8ths line wrench and it worked great! I bought a complete set right then and there. Never regretted it.

14. Budget36

Budget36

Isn’t this about the time someone post a pic of ViseGrips-the universal flare nut wrench that doesn’t spread?
    I’ve a mix of import, old Craftsman, Bonney, etc and never noticed them spread, maybe it’s so minute I never could tell, I guess that would explain the ones (nuts) I’ve rounded off though.

15. I got a set of snap on line wrenches work fantastic

I also got my dads Bonney ( grey before grey existed!) 12 point line wrenches up to 1-1/8th they work fantastic as well.

I’ve bought cheap line wrenches in the past that spread easier then a drunk girl looking for a free dinner :D

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ I need to get to Canada. You do have McDonalds there?

17. brading

brading

Many years ago I bought some Blue Point flare nut wrenches which I am told are /were part of Snap-On. They were WW2 British War Department tools never ever one snap on me though I abused them.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. Apparently some people need a wrench like that and obviously some people don’t.

It’s kind of fucked up when you know your high end line wrenches are going to spread and round the fittings so you grab vice grips first to bust it loose. What’s really fun is tightening them on a new build and the damn wrench goes whoops on the new stuff. People don’t like that much especially if they are shiny stainless fittings

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never had a problem with my SnapOn line wrenches but the Craftsman that I have will spread.
    Looking at the wrench in the photo in post 1 I am thinking that is probably a special purpose wrench designed to do a specific task rather than a run of the mill line wrench.

20. I got a really small pipe wrench I use on stubborn rounded line fitting works really well with minimal damage on the fitting .
    I’ll snap a pic when I’m at work tomorrow

21. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Those shown by OP are decent if you really need the offset and the fitting is not insanely tight. Anytime you can use a Snap-on you will be happy. I've been to the plant and watched them made 3x now. It's an incredible place and the pride they have is nice to see. They are expensive, however Matco and the others are all rebranded crap (do the Research they don't actually make tools) and they are almost the same price sometimes more.

I can't tell you how many difficult jobs I've done on various vehicles that I know would have been impossible or taken way longer to fix due to stripped fasteners etc. If I was not using Snap-on hand tools. Nothing touches them they are worth every penny.

Yes I make my living selling these tools, but I sell what I use believe in and love and will gladly compare them to any other brands performance. I wouldn't posting this if I didn't believe it. I have nothing to gain from these statements I do not sell tools to people on the HAMB or anywhere that are not in my routes.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The Snap on wrench only worked because the S-K and Matco wrenches had already started loosening it.

It’s the same thing as when your wife is struggling to open up a jar and then she hands it to you and you twist it off without too much trouble.
    She says that’s because I loosened it :D

dana barlow likes this.
  23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about the line wrenches you depicted. No experience with them so no opinion...
    These are really my 'go to' wrenches.
    Another vote for Snap-on but the combination version. I like the extra heavy open end, it helps when you can't clock the hex end against the fitting nut. It affords an extra option. IMG_20210527_090635668.jpeg

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not sure I'd want those wrenches to use myself. The way the open end is partially closed means they'd only contact about 1/2 of the nut, and I could see them slipping off easily if you weren't careful. I prefer the typical style that has no stop like those, and allows full contact on the nut.

Blue One likes this.
  25. I bought a set of these at S.E.M.A. and they have bailed me out of a couple problem spots because of there off set ability. the weak spot is the little screws used for the axle on the swinging wrap around section and I broke the one on the little one doing something I should not have been doing. Z2w45zhcpEx_.JPG

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

I bought a set of Bonney combination line wrenches, mid 70's, when I was part-timing at my friends body shop. I remember pitching a major bitch at the price of the 3 piece, highly polished set, $29.99!!! Some the best tool $$ I ever spent. Still have 'em & they still look like jewelry....:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.