Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK : Adjust your valves without the oily mess!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, May 3, 2021.

1. I came up with this a couple years ago when trying to adjust my valves with the engine running.......holy crap what a mess!
    This setup will let you adjust them without all the mess.
    NOTE: I made this for a Small Block Chevy with stock rocker arms, but the basic idea should work(with some tweaks) with any stud mounted rockers....
    Onward!

I used a stock 70's Chevy valve cover and cut the center rib out of it with a cutoff wheel and cleaned up the edges. The opening ended up roughly 1 3/4" x 16"

DSCN1405.JPG

Next you need a piece of flat, thin material a 1/2" larger on all sides than the opening. you could use aluminum, steel or whatever. I'm using some 1/8" thick ABS i had on hand. Make a centerline lengthwise offset about a 1/2' to one side, then measure and layout the stud spacing on the centerline. Now you need to drill some holes 15/16"where you marked each rocker stud. I use a hole saw for this. It should end up looking like this:

DSCN1404.JPG
    Put a deep socket on each end rocker nut and slide the piece over to check dry fit. Adjust or trim as necessary. Now you need a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the opening. Set on with the sockets to locate. Tape it in place and let it dry.

DSCN1406.JPG
    Now we need some thing to keep the oil from splashing out the holes. 8 deep sockets would work great, but I don't have that many. So I found that 3/4" CPVC pipe is exactly the right size to slip over the rocker nuts.....so I cut 7 pieces about 3" long.

DSCN1407.JPG
    Now you are ready to adjust your valves! Simply swap the socket for the tube on the next valve you want to adjust.

DSCN1409.JPG
    Thanks for looking!

2. Good thinking. I like it.

Stogy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

Clever, cheap and very effective!
    Nice job detailing the rams horn manifold too.

Stogy, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. Just set them without it running, like the factory did..Cheaper.

5. chop&drop

chop&drop

That should make for really clean adjustments. I’ve always used a cut out valve cover and “valve adjustment clips” on the pushrod ends of the rockers to avoid shooting oil everywhere.

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@RMR&C

I like your idea and thank you for posting the details of fabrication. Would you think it possible to use the steel valve cover with only the stud access holes cut into it and not have to make the added part? The ‘tubes’ would of course still be needed and used as indicated.

Ray

Stogy, Deuces, D-Russ and 3 others like this.
  7. Yes....with a couple of "if's". If you had a valve cover that was totally blank on top. The stock Chevy ones that I used have a PCV hole/baffle and a filler hole that would need to be removed/welded up.
    Also you would need to accurately locate the rocker studs.

kidcampbell71, Stogy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You make some good points about the existing holes that I had not thought of.
    Thank you for the rely.

Ray

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I simply cut the whole top off an old SBC valve cover, and then used some sheet metal to build up the exhaust side with a 8" tall splash guard that wraps up around each end. It contains any oil thrown off the rockers, and it runs back into the heads.
    I rarely adjust rockers running, but in the rare instance this works great.

Deuces and impala4speed like this.
  10. Or just cut the top on three sides (front, rear and intake) and bend the flap up on the exhaust side. That catches almost all of any oil splash. I just leave the top cutout open.

I agree that setting the valves with engine hot and running, gives the most exact. You can set every lifter to the exact same preload amount. Probably in my head, but I think it makes the engine run just a little smoother?

Great tech week addition though, as many may not think about setting the lifter preload like this.

Stogy, Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  11. Truckedup

Truckedup

yup, a lot of racers do the solid lifters cold ,engine not running. They claim the same accuracy....you just need to figure out the difference between cold and hot lash if only hot is listed.

12. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I do a lot of solid lifter cams and set the valves running, so need more room to use the feeler gauge. I use
    rocker oil clips most of the time. I've seen some guys use aluminum foil to cover the exhaust manifolds or
    headers. Your idea would certainly work with hydraulic lifters, though. Thanks for sharing.

Stogy likes this.
  13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great tip! Thanks for sharing!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Nice build there !

Stogy, Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

great idea but too complicated.i gave it a try but oil everywhere and on the manifold ,thought it would never burn off.heres my plan use 2 valve covers ,cut the tops out of both.tack weld together and seal with gasket maker.blast off any loose paint and give it a fresh coat of paint.no spilt oil and plenty room to work.stick a new gasket to the bottom cover.a job for life store in a clean bag when not in use.if its worth doing its worth doing right !.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I did this about 35 years ago.
    ADC0EC27-B35F-4EFA-AB3A-1B9C31077316.jpeg

big duece, tractorguy, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Accurate, consistent valve lash across all cylinders absolutely runs smoother on solids, don't know about hydraulic. If you want to be able to balance a nickel on edge on an idling engine, that's part of the routine anyway.

ClayMart, Stogy and nunattax like this.
  18. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

I parked my car sideways on a steep hill. That was enough to keep the oil from spilling out onto the exhaust.
    Then for the other side I just parked it in the other direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Deuces

Deuces

This is how I did it with my old Z/28.....

20. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

Old news

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  21. I did something very similar on my old 62 409 engine. I used a single old chrome (it was shot) valve cover doing one side at a time.

Old news for some, great memories for others, and a cool idea for the rest .....

seadog, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  22. Great tech, thanks for posting.

One thing for sure about the HAMB is you have a lot of people belittling, picking apart someone's idea, claiming to have already done it and every other excuse to try and make themselves feel superior than the guy that actually takes the time to post his idea.
    And you wonder why people leave this site or don't post anything, it's because certain people just can't acknowledge someone doing something good, instead they just pick shit apart to try and downplay someone's contribution...sad that people have to act that way to make themselves feel better...sad little life they live.

hotrodA, kevinrevin, Sporty45 and 7 others like this.
  23. Thanks, well said. I have gotten some great ideas from this forum, then went on to use/improve on them my own way. That is why I joined this forum and stay....the knowledge base here is incredible!
    Not everyone does things the same way or has the same opinions. I get that. Do it however you want. The negativity doesn't bother me personally, but I agree it has driven some good folks away....
    I posted this tech trying to help others....it works for me.

tractorguy, seadog and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. It makes me want to go out and drill round holes in a stock smooth top valve cover I have, I do have a cut out valve cover already to figure out the placement and a piece of plexiglass.
    I did a tech feature a few years ago on how to make a steering wheel adapter out of a stock steering wheel, all the idiots could do is bitch that I used the adapter on a stock 1968 Cadillac tilt and telescopic column. Someone even reported it for being off topic, I'll never post on a tech week again and I'll just keep my "how to's" to myself.

RMR&C and Truck64 like this.
  25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Phil.. Cliff gave me a set of no name Chevy vc cut out for valve adjustment...

26. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Swade41, Don't ya just hate the "Nit-Pickers" & control freaks? I do... but they're everywhere and have been everywhere for-freakin'-ever! Ignore them & keep doin' what's right. So... in the words of John Wayne,; "Don't let the bastards get you down!"

BradinNC likes this.
  27. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Never adjusted hydraulic lifters running....And now most solid lifters can be set cold....There is no oily mess if the engines not running......

28. It's also interesting to watch a vacuum gauge when you're adjusting solid lifters (especially on the intakes) on a running engine. ;)

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's a good check on accuracy or precision of the adjustment on solids, the engine doesn't necessarily need to be running either, noticed this after buggering the lash adjustment, the engine vacuum at idle dropped off like a rock about 4". Lash too tight. Took me a while to figure out.

Slightly loose valve lash on solids is probably better side to err on versus too tight, as ex. valves will start to burn. An important part of the valve cooling depends on the contact time each valve spends sitting in its seat. Not very damn long at all when its setup right, worse if not. "A tappy valve is a happy valve" the saying used to go for that reason, I expect. Too loose with solids on the other hand, sure does beat the hell out of everything though. I found a P&G valve gapper that calmed my OCD tendency and it really does work fast and slick.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 6sally6

6sally6

Nice lil tech-tip! Hot oil ain't fun and messy as heck!
    Kinda liked the reply of "parking sideways on a hill!" to control the oil.
    Great unless you live in New Mexico or Arizona where a fire ant hill is considered hi altitude!!
    Not many hills there...............
    6sally6

alanp561 and Truck64 like this.