Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938,39,40 Sloper Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by X38, Nov 4, 2020.

1. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Sounds great , I'm a sloper fan

2. So here we are with rear fenders, a bumper, somewhere for a plate and a problem.
    IMG_2454_LI (3).jpg

This gap:
    IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2387[1].JPG

But the solution is at hand! BTC...

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  3. So the plan is to make a pan that rolls out to the bumper, with a nice radius where it blends to the body and fenders.
    In this whole deal everything is going to be molded: the fenders, pan etc.

First up, as is often the case, cardboard, to establish the gap to be filled.
    IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

I then transferred this pattern to some MDF, cut the shape and gave the edge a 15mm radius (a bit under 3/4".)
    I cut some material and proceeded to bash the metal over the form. To do this it was sandwiched with more thick MDF and lots of clamps.
    IMG_2479.JPG

After some time and hammer driven persuasion I ended up with this:
    IMG_2484.JPG

Trial fit:
    IMG_2486.JPG

Looks like it's going to work.
    IMG_2487.JPG

With a bit of trimming it was sitting in place okay. This is as far as I'm going to finesse the pan until I get all the panels to the weld together stage and while it needs a little more trimming and so on, I'm happy with how it's just sitting there for now. At the ends I'm going to add a 90 degree turn down.
    IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  4. Looks great Tony!

X38 likes this.
  5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Terrific solution, and we'll executed!

Hnstray and X38 like this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I like it! That's not what I was expecting. I thought you were going to turn the edge down ,not up. But I see where you are going with it now. Great job!

X38 likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent! Very slick!

chryslerfan55 and X38 like this.
  8. Thanks fellas, appreciated.:)

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Thanks!

10. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Nicely done. That flows really well with the leading edge turned up.

11. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Looks great , the gap isn't nice to the eye , my sloper had a 40 filler panel in that spot when I bought it if it didn't I would have fitted one it just makes the rear look finished

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing how a relatively small part in the scope of the entire car can make such a huge impact Tony. The devil is indeed in the detail!

13. Tail lights mounted.
    [​IMG]

4w0lbc0k505oz56jfdhta6bqobkrcrx6_LI.jpg
    Now that the rear bumper location is locked in I can also finish the exhaust. After contemplating various ideas, I think it's going to come out something like this:
    [​IMG]

14. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Great work. Tony....anyone would think you've done this type of thing before.

Outback likes this.
  15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

So nice

X38 likes this.
  16. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I do like that tail pan Tony, the cars looking excellent!
    I gave myself a boost recently, tucked a halibrand under the rear fender and stood back, admired, took a couple of pics, then went back to the rust repair.. definitely a shot in the arm tho, a glimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel..

17. Funny you say that. I've built hot rods and restored late model (60's) cars, but never done a custom.
    Truth be told, I've been dreaming about building one since I was a youngster reading the Spence Murray build stories about his '36 roadster in R&C. There were also several pictorial articles in R&C and Hot Rod annuals about early customs around that time too (early 70's.) That lit the fire.

It's been a long time coming.

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Bumper looks like Buick rear with front uprights and cross bar….??

19. It's a 47/48 Ford rear bar with same years front bumper over riders and cross bar.

20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Close is only good enough with hand grenades and horseshoes….:oops:

Ray

Outback and X38 like this.
  21. Another project, a fuel filler door. A 46 -48 door is the go-to but they are available in varying amounts if shittiness and cost $. So, I liberated a door and hinge from a few year old Falcon (Cadmad’s wrecking yard) for cost zero and proceeded to make a new door and surround. The Falcon door was rectangular, too large and too flat, so not useable as-is. Anyway, to the pictures:

As always, cardboard to start:
    [​IMG]

I took out the Falcon hinge assembly, cut and shut it to make it smaller and modified it to suit a more oval door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The recess for the door was fun to make. I’ve got no idea what I’m doing but I got there in the end. It will need trimming obviously.
    [​IMG]

…but I think it will work. At least the shape matches the crown on the fender.
    [​IMG]

Next, incorporate it into the fender and make the inside part to accept the hinge, latch and filler tube.

chryslerfan55, Outback, 40LUV and 6 others like this.
  22. Hey mate... they are great looking tail lights !!!

23. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I’m not buying that line where you said, “I’ve got no idea what I’m doing”. It sure looks like you do. Nice work.

rattlecanrods, Hnstray, X38 and 6 others like this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Over the years I’ve picked up rotten ‘48 rear fenders destined to be gas door donors at swap meets. Usually just a few bucks. I haven’t installed any yet.

I can imagine old Ford parts can be harder to find down there. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

25. Any I come across locally are usually pretty shitty for the money, need repair etc. even though that was my initial plan. In the end it was just easier to get on with it and make a door and use a free hinge. And release latch. ;)

chryslerfan55, Outback and The 39 guy like this.
  26. Well done!

X38 likes this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Extraordinary as usual! I agree with ronsmtrwrx I think you know what you are doing:)

Hnstray, X38 and ronzmtrwrx like this.
  28. Now to make this work, remembering the first cut is the deepest...
    [​IMG]

And sit the recess right about here...

[​IMG]

Tacked in...
    2648g2pemnau39ehvxl50kmkhbukrg1k.jpg

And with the door just sitting in place, no hinge yet. I was feeling quite happy at this stage.:)
    [​IMG]

I then needed to make a box like thing inside the fender to mount the hinge, latch and filler tube/cap. I forgot to take pics of that process.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, I now have a functioning gas door, catch and filler connected to the tank. The electric/manual catch I robbed from the same car as the hinge works well, which is good for a clean look. I still have to weld in the internal housing, hence the screw heads. Plus some trimming an finessing of the opening.
    q812g4iq5uqk9v5tkxyo9uzy573bpup6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  29. That turned out very nice!

X38 and Hnstray like this.
  30. Nicely done!

X38 likes this.