Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I have to laugh a bit as we are in Bakersfield. I’ll admit it’s not the prettiest place in California but having been born and raised in Southern California we find the people to be very friendly, plenty of Hotrod stuff to do plus we have some constitutional rights that a lot of counties in Ca do not have. Plus our cost of living to income ratio is one of the best in California which equals more land and more Hotrod stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

So is Taft considered an upgrade ?:D

31hotrodguy likes this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So is Taft considered an upgrade ?:D[/QUOTE]

Ahhh no. Lol but they have an amazing Jr college. Plus I know some good hotrodders and race car guys that have come out of Taft.
    All and all though we do have Famoso, circle track, the Okie Bowl dirt track and Reynolds Machine shop who was Ernie Hasham’s shop boy/apprentice in the old days. I know we are not “big time” but there’s enough “hotrod” stuff here in town for me to get done what I need. .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

olscrounger, Sky Six and alanp561 like this.
  4. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I was recently in Youngstown for work. Didn't know there were any HAMBers there. Would have tried to meet up for a beer or something.

Also to stay on topic, drilled the holes for my rear seat belts on my '53 Ford. Waiting on my Kilmat to arrive before I get the belts installed for good.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    Stogy, 31hotrodguy and impala4speed like this.
  5. Grrrrr....having heard a brand new whine from some driven member, I drove it home and checked the rear axle lube...took about 1/2 cup so that wasn't it. This happened Friday....got a little time and jacked it up to check tranny lube....right up to the fill plug......SHIT!!!Last time this happened it cost me $1300 for new ring/pinion/carrier. I moved up to a Detroit locker at that time. I left it sitting outside......I'm pissed at it.
    BTW....before you guys go ape shit about the car sitting on a jack, look closer to see there's a stand under the right front wishbone...behind the jack 34jackedup.jpg Rockyunhappy.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    61Cruiser, Stogy, blowby and 8 others like this.
  6. I've been to both.:eek:

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bead blasted clean the two chain covers that will be merged into one, for my dual-chain TH-425, after I put a new door seal on the parts washer cabinet.

Stogy likes this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

From the BillyBob Shop log

May 28th 2021 Sidetracked again, this time by a nearly immobilizing, nasty, oozing rash that had me feeling sorry for myself most of the time I wasn't at the office. It has pretty much run it's course and now I'm back at it again.

Cleaned up after the derusting operations and began preparing the nailhead block for painting. Plugged threaded holes and started masking off machined surfaces for the first stage of masking. My masking Kung Fu is not strong and it's tedjus work. I did use the trick of trimming the masking tape at sharp edges by using a small brass ball-peen hammer to make a cut line in the tape.

Beer of the day was Florida Brewing Company's Hurricane Reef IPA.

[​IMG]

61Cruiser, Stogy, TA DAD and 2 others like this.
  9. j hansen

j hansen

Wait a minute.....are you painting the inside of the block?
    About the masking,try with a file instead of the hammer,it goes much faster and looks better.
    Beer of today is ÅBRO 7,3%

Stogy, High test 63 and LAROKE like this.
  10. LAROKE

LAROKE

Painting the rough cast interior surfaces with glyptal paint. Any of the "performance" advantages claimed for it are way below my radar. I'm doing it simply because I like the way it looks and since this is my first engine build, I may be seeing more of the inside than I hope for down the road. Many thanx for the file tip. I will try that when I get back to the shop tonite.

61Cruiser, Stogy and High test 63 like this.
  11. j hansen

j hansen

I have never used it ,but now when you mentioned it.....I know I been reading about it.Never heard anything negative about it.
    And about the file,,,,it will only work one way,do not pull it back and forth!
    I have said that to all rookies for 20 years.
    No disrespect to you LAROKE :)

12. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20210525_184342567_HDR~2.jpg finally got to pickup my rebuilt q.c. at the Frankland shop. I found the core in a scrapyard in an old dirt modified chassis.
    My buddy rode down with me and we stopped at a friend's house and had elk meatloaf and beers for dinner. IMG_20210525_214354833.jpg bar hopped home then. Beer of the evening, Yuengling lager draft

13. High test 63

High test 63

Holy hell laroke!
    Am glad you're back on track. You must remember to use your 'Gold Bond' powder to avoid those nasty rashes.... Or be more careful with the women you've been running with!

61Cruiser, SEAAIRE354, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx again. I would have made that mistake and I'm too old to take offense at anything short of actual physical assault.

15. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx. As far as running with the women, That ship has sailed. I knew I was in for a rough time when the woman who originally relieved me of my virginity also gave me the clap during the same encounter.

16. topher5150

topher5150

Never had that problem...then again women tend to run away from me

61Cruiser, Stogy, Wanderlust and 3 others like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grease job on front end. Took 1 hour. Pain in the a** for a guy 77

High test 63 and j hansen like this.
  18. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I am on to mounting my rear suspension, so we will see where this goes ! studebaker build 001.JPG

Attached Files:

spanners, Stogy, High test 63 and 2 others like this.
  19. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Another good day in the shop ! Getting my thoughts together. studebaker build 008.JPG

Attached Files:

Stogy, j hansen and High test 63 like this.
  20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took the missus to breakfast in town. Three people in the parking lot or inside told me about how they had a '55 Chevy once. Off to the painter guy whom told me that my two new wheels were painted and that I could pick them up Monday. Next stop was the race shop where I picked up a Vintage Air fan switch for my project car. Then to the gas station to fill up with ethanol free gasoline. Two more people commented on the fact that they had an old car like mine but it was blue. Then home to install my fan switch and spent some time cleaning the engine bay. Long day so I'm drinking a couple of beers now.

I'm guessing that they must have made about 11 billion '55 Chevrolets.

21. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Took a joy ride today and got behind a school bus full of kids. The rear windows of the bus were full of the kids faces checking out the car!! I don't know who had the most fun, me or them.............

22. Blocking the 39 20210528_160001.jpg

Sanding on the 57 that has no rear end :rolleyes: 20210528_203920.jpg

Some primer 20210528_211428.jpg

And helped momma with some 55 Chevy seat covers 20210528_160220.jpg

61Cruiser, Blues4U, Dave Mc and 7 others like this.
  23. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Your a good man cause momma needs to be happy too!

Stogy likes this.
  24. topher5150

topher5150

Ummmmm I just realized that I left my Bondo in the trunk of my hot rod all winter..... Outside is it any good

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cgrgrspt10 and Stogy like this.
  25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Haven't posted on this thread in a bit... Awhile back I bought a 49 Studebaker 2R5 PU. It is destined to be my new daily driver. Today after work I ripped out the straight axle and steering box . I cleaned off the the old shock mounts and started taking measurements for the new front suspension. The plan so far is a 68 LG journal 327 with a turbo 400 and a gear vendors overdrive backed up with a 9 inch.

26. I visited with mine for a while as it sits in its crowded corral, surrounded by crap that needs to find a home so I can get it out of the garage! How the hell does that happen?!?! (before you jump on me, most of it belongs to my wife, and I'm not about to poke the bear over it, know what I mean?)

27. brading

brading

Meatloaf did sing " Two out of thre ain't bad ". She might have taken you to court for child maintenance, so perhaps you got off lightly.

High test 63 likes this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went to a “caffeine and cars” gathering 30 miles from where I now live to where I once did. About 70 cars a lot less than my typical Donut Derelict outing. Met so great folks with the same interests. Different cars too. A few photos.. FC260FAE-6242-430C-BA42-0C084575FB7E.jpeg 35FFB5C7-D1EF-4399-BA2F-CD4FCF8B70B2.jpeg 50B3DFE4-09B6-4F56-89C1-088C5DD7715A.jpeg F7CF316B-FAB9-4404-829C-0869EAC72B9C.jpeg 3B74DDED-EFDB-47B7-BBAA-23AC0F99A5E7.jpeg EFF09672-D603-48DE-9B0C-5134690AA9FD.jpeg

29. topher5150

topher5150

Does tire width really make that much of a difference? I have a set of old tires on the rear of my 47 Ford one is a P225 and I can slide my fingers between the frame and the tire most of the way. The other is a P235 and I couldn't get any further than the tips of my fingers between the frame and the tire.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

My new springs arrived this morning ( in 2 days from Summit - Ohio to NC ) And I have my one hanger bolted up and now onto the rear. studebaker build 016.JPG

Attached Files: