Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found this in the oil galley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fabulous50's, May 25, 2021.

1. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Getting ready to reassemble my FE and was getting ready for the final cleaning of the block. Found an oil galley pressed in plug to be loose so I decided it would be best to remove them all....after all it would give access to the galleys for cleaning. The oil holes i has access to were all very clean and i had blown compressed air through all of them during initial block cleaning/inspection.

And ideas? 20210524_210944.jpg

Came out of here. About 12" away from the clean side of the oil filter. Main galley above the cam. 20210524_210919.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gets my vote for weird.

vtx1800, belair, LWEL9226 and 3 others like this.
  3. 26Troadster

26Troadster

somebody's poor attempt at a oil restrictor.:rolleyes:
    i have never seen anything like that, maybe a left over from factory machining.

loudbang, Fabulous50's and Deuces like this.
  4. Does it appear to have be broken at the bottom? HRP

mail (1).jpg

5. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a broken split rivet, but not something you'd find inside an engine normally.

Yeah, it's a good idea to get any engine block completely apart, with all holes open, and run solvent and brushes through them all. Glad you caught it!

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Wonder if it was originally attached to the end of the galley plug.
    If so, it may have been a type of oil restrictor....?

7. squirrel

squirrel

Split rivets were sometimes used to attach parts like rubber flaps to sheet metal, such as inner fender seals, underhood weatherstripping, etc.

Tim, Paul, Fabulous50's and 1 other person like this.
  8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I believe it's a jiggle pin, used to block air from the lifter valley. Have read about these but never encountered one before in my later FEs. I think they were installed in the early ones.

Joe

RMR&C, Deuces, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

that makes sense, something Ford would do :)

from the net:

A single "flutter valve" was frequently found on ordinaary Ford production blocks which contained hydraulic lifters. This valve would have been placed at the front of the top oil passage, behind the timing cover, the purpose apparently to quickly "burp" air out of the gallerys to speed oil flow into the lifters upon cold startups.

Interesting, learn something every day on the HAMB

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The curls did look too uniform.

11. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

It was indeed directly behind the front plug in the main oil galley. And that plug was different than the others.

HRP, yes it is broken where the arrow is. Appears to have been broken for a long time. Suprising amount of crud in there. I'd rinsed all the oil passages with shop solvent and then pressure washer hot water, then compressed air.

But now they will all get rodded out, and I'll thread the iron block to accept threaded plugs.

seb fontana, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Good call. Don't forget that rascal that hides behind the distributor. You're taking your time, which is good. People that rush things often overlook it.

Joe

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yup, looks like garbage fell in while someone was adding oil.
    This was in an oil return galley correct?

Fabulous50's, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was it difficult to remove? It looks like it would have been rammed in from th front and the fingers would hold it in place to prevent if from wandering.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    Fabulous50's, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  15. I've heard of a jiggle pin attached to a thermostat, to help bleed air but not sure of another type. HRP

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There are forums that talk about this very topic but no photo's. One even gave a Ford part # for it.

Fabulous50's, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

It’s factory installed” jiggle pin” that came loose. It is used to restrict the flow of oil at the end of the galley, but let some oil get through. Some FEs have them..... some don’t. You can leave it out.

Bones

18. BJR

BJR

Looks like a hollow point bullet that hit something.

vtx1800, Jibs, stillrunners and 3 others like this.
  19. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Jiggle pin. Never heard of one until now.
    Learned something new today at HAMB school:cool:

20. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahaha, I´m having tears in my eyes:D

I agree, every day is a school day.

21. I found this in a '62 Ford Service Manual. It does a good job explaining what it does and where it's supposed to be. Early Ford FE Oiling.jpg

Understanding that this arrangement supplies oil to lubricate timing chain and gears, it's important that if the jiggle pin is left out more oil will flow through the hole in the front plug and oil pressure may be affected. Replacing the plug with one that has no hole will reduce the amount of oil lubricating the timing chain and gears and may cause early chain / gear failure. I know someone that did that to a Lincoln V/12 Flathead and wiped out the timing gears because of it.

22. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I'm putting on a Cloyes double roller chain, much less oil needed than a link belt. I also drilled an extra valley drain hole due to lifter valley flooding issues. That oil hole is well placed to get plenty of oil on the chain I think.

I've also found that this early FE only has a spring which pushes against the timing cover and against the cam sprocket bolt in l'eau of the later FE bolted on cam retainer plate. In not sure if this will work with my timing set.

I'll get some pictures when I'm home from work.

This is just a small look at the oil sludge which came out. I bet 4 tablespoons came out. The bottom end was spanking clean, as well as the oil pan. 20210525_174236.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  23. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

A dozen 1/2 x20 sets crews and it will look factory.

Waiting for a day that isnt raining for a final power wash then I'll get to assembling. 20210526_195912.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very nice photo of your fingerprint. Hope someone doesn’t scan it and steal your identity. hahaha!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

Gone... the things we must think about....sheeesh

loudbang likes this.
  26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

So what size is this FE? What's it going in?

loudbang and Fabulous50's like this.
  27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

[/QUOTE]
    You don’t what to plug that port completely, where the jiggle pin went. If you plug it you need to drill a small hole in that plug.

Bones

28. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

352, it is from/going back in my '59 Galaxie

loudbang likes this.
  29. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I was under the impression that the later FEs didnt use the jiggle pin and that it wasn't needed. I also am using a Cloyes true roller timing chain. Would that still need the extra oil?

I certainly can drill that plug out if there would be any benefit, but it seems like a good place to suck air in during engine shut down.

Honest questions.

Taylor

loudbang likes this.
  30. I checked in a '68 Ford service manual and it still uses a jiggle pin in the front oil gallery plug to release trapped air from the passage, but timing chain and gear lubrication is supplied by oil coming past the front cam bearing and thru a drilling in the block behind the camshaft thrust plate. As Fabulous50's has already noted, the early FE engine uses a thrust button and spring and has no thrust plate. While it's possible there will be enough oil to keep the chain and gears alive without, I think I would drill that front plug (not sure what size hole though) just to be on the safe side.

Boneyard51, Fabulous50's and loudbang like this.