Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI 1939 COUPE DU JOUR - Runnin from Johnny Law!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Man, that delivery was quick alright! Where'd it come from? I've had packages arrive that I thought was coming from China but came from Auckland... probably have a warehouse here or something. o_O

Looking forward to seeing the wagon in person at some stage.

Glen.

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  2. woodbox

woodbox

Tested ohms, but on an analogue meter so who knows. Tested today's brand new one with the same results.

3. woodbox

woodbox

The sender came from eklers in the states.

chryslerfan55 and KiwiGlen like this.
  4. woodbox

woodbox

My boy came around today to weld up the 2 halves of the tank.
    We tacked it all together then he welded all the way round before we put a little air pressure in the tank and squirted soapy water on the seam. This turned up 2 tiny pin holes. A little more welding and another test found that the weld is sweet, but, the factory vent tube has a slight bubble showing on the soapy water test around its base. I will hit that with some solder tomorrow. Otherwise the tank will be ready for a spot of paint and reinstalation.

IMG_20210530_120951.jpg IMG_20210530_122523.jpg IMG_20210530_133753.jpg IMG_20210530_120948.jpg

5. woodbox

woodbox

All back in the car now. Just the fuel line and some gas in the tank to go! IMG_20210601_155953.jpg

6. Looks good, haven't seen a set of air shocks for a long time! JW

KiwiGlen and loudbang like this.
  7. Me neither... had some on the back of Revolting. Would like to get some actually.

Glen.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  8. woodbox

woodbox

Out with the old............ IMG_20210603_164655.jpg

9. woodbox

woodbox

..... and in with the new! IMG_20210603_164701.jpg
    I was thoroughly sick of the Edelbrock carb surging all the time so grabbed a 600 vacuum secondary Holley that I had in a box on the shelf. Instant difference! Yet to drive with it on but idled straight away and is way more responsive to a tickle on the loud pedal.

I spent some time today checking on the brake adjustments as under brakes the car was pulling right. They are all in pretty good condition and after a couple of clicks on the adjuster all fairly even.

I did notice the front hub bearing races are ball type. Are there standard tapered roller type replacements for these?

KiwiGlen, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  10. I had a Holley 600 vac sec on my 301 in the RPU and the secondaries never opened even at 5500 RPM. Now run a 600 mech sec, these motors 301/305 don't flow enough air to make them work but on the primaries i couldn't fault it. JW

loudbang and woodbox like this.
  11. woodbox

woodbox

Today I spent some time installing inertia belts in the front to replace the fixed lap/diagonal belts. Way more comfortable and feel way more secure. Now I will look into the requirements for fitting the lap/diagonal belts into the rear seat so we can carry the grandies sometime.

Also on the list today was the non-functional windscreen washer bottle and pump. The oem plastic bottle was brittle and collapsing, so I found a universal replacement to do the job.

KiwiGlen, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  12. woodbox

woodbox

I had to drop the tank out again today as it was weeping fuel from the weld join we did. A pin hole that we didn't pick up with the soapy water test. I cleaned up the local area where the paint was puckering to prep for some silver solder.
    Before welding I drained all the fuel and blew the tank out with compressed air until I could no longer see butane vapours. I then taped over all the openings except a small opening in one and the pickup tube, into which I poked the mig welder handpiece (without wire feed or earth/ground) to purge out the oxygen and displace with argon/Co2 to create an inert atmosphere before gas welding (no bang!). Once happy with the results I taped up the small hole and put a slight positive pressure inside the tank to avoid any ingress of oxygen into the tank while I welded.
    I then (gingerly) fired up the gas torch and proceeded to apply the silver solder. Once happy I had caught all the pinholes it was time to get it all back together.
    All sorted now........ I guess time will tell!

13. woodbox

woodbox

Oh yeah my peep mirrors turned up in the post today too. So no more side mirror on the door, rattling and loose.

14. woodbox

woodbox

More mail today, dome light lens, indicator cancelling mechanism and an assembly manual, very helpful!
    Also in the box was a paper catalogue...... Let's go shopping!

KiwiGlen and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  15. woodbox

woodbox

We had our first real trip away in the brookwood a couple of weeks ago and all went well. Tried for a wof (road safe cert) and only failed on headlights adjustment and brake imbalance. Fitted a new set of shoes and waiting to pick up now.
    Pulling the front seat today to get the broken springs sorted so I don't feel like I'm falling out the door on every right turn.
    Received new tail light lens', key blanks, locking fuel cap and sun visor hinges from Ecklers last week. A few more bits to fit.
    Looking forward to having it all legal so I can do some miles before our grand tour of the country in 6 weeks time. 3 weeks on the road will be fun!

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  16. woodbox

woodbox

They say, the best laid plans of mice and men....... Well, we were all set, job list completed, accommodation sorted and our new friend Delta decided to come and visit! The country has been in total lock-down for 3 weeks, so no travel for anyone. The event has been cancelled for this year, with the possibility of having it same time next year. So maybe I will get some of the longer term jobs done on the car. Valve guide seals, rust repair, door cards, tow hitch.

Stogy, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  17. I feel your pain, Wade.:( JW

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  18. woodbox

woodbox

19. woodbox

woodbox

IMG_20211214_173630.jpg
    So we have recently moved to a place that has a 140 square meter workshop behind the house. It was used for making grog by the original owner back in the 1950's, quite apt to be building a 39 Ford coupe inspired by moonshine runners! Anyway I gave myself an early Christmas gift, a nice little tig machine. I have been meaning to do some mods to the headers for the coupe. I am changing the 3 bolt flanges to V band clamps for the entire exhaust set up. IMG_20211214_173639.jpg
    These are the soon to be replaced 3 bolt flanges.
    IMG_20211214_173650.jpg
    IMG_20211217_194344.jpg
    These are the first 2 V bands in place. IMG_20211217_194412.jpg IMG_20211217_194615.jpg
    Part way through the process with one 3 bolt and 2 V bands. IMG_20211217_194426.jpg
    The aforementioned tig machine.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  20. Those look like serious heads, cool !! JW

loudbang likes this.
  21. woodbox

woodbox

Just trying to keep the weight down..... And leave room for the blower!

22. woodbox

woodbox

IMG_20211219_170405.jpg IMG_20211219_170351.jpg
    All done. 3 Vee band clamps fitted, welded and ready to go to coating in the new year.

Attached Files:

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice job on those headers! Since most of us choose duel exhaust I just have to ask why you are going with a singal exhaust pipe?

loudbang likes this.
  24. woodbox

woodbox

A couple of reasons for the single set up. The car will be very low and I want to keep everything above the bottom edge of the rails, so there is simply no room on the right side for exhaust, brake booster, clutch cylinder, steering and starter in the same spot. I am using stock style pedals (all 3) and a 5" booster. There is no room to go above the diff or indeed through the centre (jag), so I will be exiting the exhaust under the rear of the left running board. Keeping the exhaust all on left side also means I will run all the angry pixies on the right side, fuel, power loom, brakes, all away from the heat. The headers and primary section will be wrapped after high temp coating to minimise engine bay temps.
    I hope that answers your question.

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I thought that would be the reasoning behind the move. It actually is a very practical move. I am enjoying your build thread and thanks for the detailed answer.

26. woodbox

woodbox

16403142406116748256989655029681.jpg Wishing you all a safe Christmas from the bottom of the world. Having it all a day early with the kids and grandkids out in the sun. We ate too much and are all looking for somewhere in the shade to rest before desert is up! Gotta love Christmas in the middle of summer! Cheers team!

theman440, Rckt98, charleyw and 5 others like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Merry Christmas WOODBOX !

28. Thanks, Wade and all the best to your good self and your family, you got Pav? :D JW

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Merry Christmas to you and yours. We're getting rain here in SoCal.

woodbox and loudbang like this.
  30. woodbox

woodbox

I just finished packaging up the headers and crossover pipe to send them to get coated with Nasa's best ceramic. Before I packed them up I added a bung for an O2 sensor after the crossover collector. I machined all the mating gasket faces and welded the studs into the double plates.

I am heading to the big smoke (city) this weekend to help my son move his project car to a new home, so will take the headers and drop them off. While I am there I might just go clutch/pressure plate/throwout shopping too!

loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.