Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Bel Air 210 150 wiring question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, May 24, 2021.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not being able to pull diagrams off line and until I purchase literature on 57's I have a quick favor. I need to see how resistor bypass was done for 57. Looking up ignition switches hasn't helped either since many say 55 56 switches work on 57's. Thank's

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I pulled one up. One of the terminals on the ignition switch connects to the resistor then the started solenoid. Let me see if I can post the link.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  3. jaracer

jaracer

Sounds like they are using the resistor by-pass circuit in the starter solenoid. One side of the resistor would receive power from the ignition switch with the other side being connected to the distributor. There would also be a wire from the starter solenoid by-pass terminal (I believe it is marked R)to the distributor side of the resistor.

4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

18 gauge tan wire comes off ignition switch goes thru firewall plug to resistor changes to 20 gauge dark green to starter solenoid then on to coil. Can't seem to link to it.

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Angle Drive is correct. There are two small posts on the starter solenoid. One post activates the solenoid to make the starter engage. The other sends temporary 12 volts direct to the coil, bypassing the resistor for easier starting and disconnects when you let go of the key. You can check which wire activates the starter with the small wires disconnected and a volt meter. Have someone turn the key to start position and see which wire has voltage. Voltage = starter. No voltage = coil bypass and only has voltage when the solenoid is engaged.

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Thanks guy's. The 57 I just bought has had cowl wiring relocated. There's other stuff that's been monkeyed with. Just looking at the resistor I see both greens at one terminal unlike 55 56. That tells me 57 should be off the starter R terminal at the starter but what's in the reworked loom I don't know yet. I just know it act's like bypass isn't there.