Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheel puller

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatford39, May 23, 2021.

1. flatford39

flatford39

Have a stuck front brake drum that is the Ford wide five configuration. Any suggestions on a wheel puller for it. I want attach to the studs in at least 3 places.

2. You tried to back the brake shoes already I’m sure. Soak with penetrating oil. Tap with a hammer. We added som heat to a 55 Chevy to break the rust loose

3. alchemy

alchemy

If the 39 front drum won't come off easily the shoes are stuck in a groove or they are rusted to the drum. Many years ago Nads said he would soak brakes that were rusted to the drums in water. The water would loosen the rust enough to let you smack it loose. I've never tried it.

You have adjusted the side cams and the lower pins to their inwardmost points, right?

If you really can't get the shoes loose from the drum, you can remove the nuts from the lower pins, the bolts from the wheels cylinders, then try pulling the drum-and-shoes-and-springs-and-cylinders off as one. The two spring clips under the side cams will still hold, but maybe they will bend enough to let the rusted assembly pop free.

HotRodWorks and flatford39 like this.
  4. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

I leave the lugs about 3/4 loose and use an old rim or the tire and rim to give it a wack

stillrunners and Texas Webb like this.

5. Get one of the reproduction KR Wilson pullers or equivalent and pull the hub from the snout of the hub as it should be done. Don't pull from the studs especially on a wide 5.

Charlie Stephens

6. alchemy

alchemy

He's got a stuck FRONT drum.

31Apickup likes this.
  7. will the drum rotate?

8. flatford39

flatford39

No...if It did I wouldn't need to remove it.

9. OK so people are right in thinking that the shoes are stuck to the drum.

10. flatford39

flatford39

It's a front drum not a rear. The tool you are recommending is for the rears only I believe.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So much for folks fully reading the OP's post before throwing out and answer.

Read Alchemy's post three about three times. That's the correct answer.

Spray the PB blaster or your favorite equivalent rust buster in.

Back the adjustment on the shoes off,

Tap around the outside of the drum with a good size hammer but don't beat the crap out of it.

You do have the nut and outer wheel bearing off/out?
    I don't believe that drum comes off the hub leaving the hub on the spindle.

loudbang, Chicster and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. KenC

KenC

I have much better luck with an air hammer, set as low as needed to keep from damaging anything, than manual. Lots of little taps seem to loosen things much better that big whacks. Shaker rust loose.

loudbang likes this.
  13. You are correct that is a tool for the rear. Maybe I keyed of the title "Wheel Puller" and started off with the rear assumption since the fronts don't (usually) require one. I missed the word "front" in his original post. Fortunately I am not used to problems with the fronts.

Charlie Stephens

14. Agree - even on other models - take out all bolts you can on the backing plate - wheel cylinders for sure - and with the lube sprayed through the back side the drum will or can be worked off. I like the wheel with out a tire bolted down to also use to help get the drum off.

15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If it's still on a car, you could try putting a tire and wheel on it, lowering it and rocking the car back and forth to get it to start turning.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is nice if you own an air hammer (I have two) but not worth a damn for the guy who doesn't have an air hammer and may not even have a decent air compressor.
    I've wacked more drums than I ever want to count with my 2-1/2 lb machinists hammer and most of them broke loose. That was when I was doing brake jobs every day at work for a living.

Lets remember that not everyone has a fully equipped shop to work in with all the tools that a pro shop may have.

17. KenC

KenC

I understand, just offering some info. Not a pro shop here either, just an old guy that has been collecting tools forever. Sure is nice to have the right ones for most jobs. Expensive but nice. And it only took 77 years to get here.