Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hemmings Hot Rod BBQ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 19, 2021.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watched the whole thing Ryan and you did nothing to embarrass yourself that I could see, except sucking on that Dr. Pepper! LOL! It actually was good to see a face and hear the voice of the person responsible for the HAMB.

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure this is a true statement. We build luxury homes for wealthy folks and every home has a couple 50 amp car charging outlets in the garage and we are still doing it with 400 and 600 amp total service loads. Seems every client has at least one Tesla. OK this is anecdotal but there it is.
    Cool to still be listening in on your conversation Boss, now that Steve has chimed in.

Just Gary and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Great.... Interview seems off, video.

I think I’ve watched or read every interview you have done in relation to the hamb and this was kinda surprisingly fresh.

I think having an interviewer who was there and has been involved and knows you makes a difference especially when they are still involved in media.

was cool to hear the general discussion and nostalgia. Good piece guys :)

4. Finally finished the whole interview. Damn good job. Nothing really new to me but great to hear it all in one sitting.

Also, Jay Ward aka @Jive-Bomber has a good one with Stoner as well and is a great bookend to @Ryan segment.

5. Thanks, buddy - I appreciate the kind words. Hell, I'm still trying to deliver it over here. The comeback Round Up is gonna be a party!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The power grid is not able to support that kind of current draw at every house, even if the house has the capacity. And we don't have the power generation to support it even if the grid had the capacity.

kevinrevin, loudbang and BrerHair like this.
  7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Great interview, don't know if I could pull it off...
    Just remember Fame and $5 might get some coffee at Starbucks

8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First podcast I've ever watched, good stuff. I'll throw in a couple comments. The cost of this doesn't just affect young people getting into it, but people of all ages. At 65 (damn that's hard to believe) I look at prices of cars and parts and am amazed. If I hadn't accumulated lots of garbage that no one wanted over the years there's no way I could be in this. Which leads to one other thing you discussed. The last few years I've been doing more with old motorcycles. Cheaper, smaller, easier for a gimpy old guy to work on. Also can have one done and on the road much faster.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  9. Garpo

Garpo

The issue of interesting young people in our hobby is complicated. In many ways we are all about nostalgia,- the way thigs were etc.
    Most of the young folk need to live a year or two before they can look back and say "I remember when", and start looking to replicate their fist car, or the one they lusted over but could not afford
    Always a big plus if you grow up amongst it.

10. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

Young people need something to identify with and hang onto, that their peers are also doing. They need it to be affordable to them. They need to find meaning and joy in participating. As Ryan mentioned in the blogcast, TROG is good at hitting some of those buttons, at least for now.

I suspect that traditional hot rodding will come and go a couple more times over the decades, until no one has any idea of what it is, barring a dedicated few. The same is true of old-time IRL steam hobbyists or IRL sailing ship people. The circles get smaller and tighter, but the ones who participate do some spectacular work, on things the rest of us can’t even comprehend. There will come a time when an ICE engine rebuild or a valve job will be like Greek to a shop mechanic.

“Traditional” car hobbyists go much further than hot rods. See parts of the So Cal Lowrider movement.

I am building a ‘46 Jeep as it would have been modified for trail running in the ‘70s, and a ‘70s Japanese car as it would have been their version of hot rodded in the ‘80s. There are a few traditional Jeep guys, very few, other than factory restorers; but almost zero traditional modified Japanese car guys. They always “update” and “improve” with scads of modern tech and bling. I’m really on my own with those, but, like Ryan, I enjoy the cars themselves, up and running, on solo drives, as much as anything else.

11. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was an enjoyable interview. I watched the whole thing in one sitting. The interviewer did a good job. I did learn a lot about the history of the board before 2007 when I joined.
    My biggest take away was the humility that Ryan showed. If someone would have asked, I would have guessed maybe a big ego on Ryan’s part. I could not have been more wrong.

it was enough to make me sign back in after a long hiatus to somewhat apologize for all the incorrect thoughts over the last 14 years.

Thanks for the HTML class

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. I can only imagine how entertaining this would have been with some adult beverages involved to loosen things up a bit.