Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Caps done with an artist brush. Striping done by Don Q Studio in Costa Mesa. Free hand.. did not spin the wheel. A989E997-66D2-4EFE-A115-13D834556A72.jpeg

2. That looks sharp! I like that color combo

loudbang likes this.
  3. Here it goes.....
    thumbnail_IMG_7313.jpg

Still needs some final cleaning and fill in a few small spots...but so far, looking good
    thumbnail_IMG_7315.jpg

4. Almost done with the hub caps....waiting for te paint to fully cure.

Started coming up with a jig to stripe my wheels...almost there but still need some work.

thumbnail_IMG_7318.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7319.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7320.jpg

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

you are a tool maker... great job !

6. Thank you for the feedback!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. A few more adjustments, added a set screw and couple more parts to make sure the rod and the beugler don't move or loose center when rotating.
    thumbnail_IMG_7323.jpg

She spins smooth...
    thumbnail_IMG_7324.jpg

Full circles and lines line up...
    I just need to ensure the beugler is working and paint is flowing correctly...the real deal is next.
    thumbnail_IMG_7325.jpg

8. greaser

greaser

Great job, I really like this. Time to hang out the shingle?

Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  9. Looking great! Heck, don't worry about it. At the worst, you grab some thinner, wipe it down and start over. You got this!

10. Thank you for the kudos!

11. My FedEx saga continues. I am yet to receive a call or an answer to any of my emails. to the direct contacts I have
    I did; however, received an email reply to my claim. The claim was denied. Their reason, "FedEx records showed the shipment was never tender to FedEx". What a joke!
    It was one of those "no-reply emails" so no info how to dispute, who to call or what to do....
    I called fedex yet again and asked for a Supervisor. I wanted to know how they came such conclusion after having proof that the top was picked up by the driver, taken to their hub relabeled, never scanned and put back into the shipping system....I received an..."ahhh, let me transfer you" reply.
    Another supervisor came on the line and told me the claim was denied because I needed a "shipper release waiver". I explained in this case I was the shipper and receiver, since the account is mine....gave an email address to send it to and just hung up on me.
    I emailed the release and got an automatic email stating that was a "no longer monitored account" What!? No forwarding information, no numbers to call....just a simple, screw you!
    Called again, another Supervisor, this time I was told the claim was not even assigned or reviewed yet, and she was personally going to assign it to herself and to please give her a few more days....FedEx is a joke!

I am hoping the FedEx gods reply...I want so badddd to cuss them out!
    Looks like no top and most likely not even my money back...

oliver westlund, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Ok, onto to the fun part....

Right before I was going to lay my first line, I decided to build a spinning table. I figured it would be easier to keep things straight and not having to reach all around the wheel. So glad I did it...

Crude but works....look at that Bugler holding put at the right angle :)
    thumbnail_IMG_7333.jpg

She works..
    thumbnail_IMG_7335.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7336.jpg

Some little touch ups here and there but the first line is down. 2 more lines x wheel to go
    thumbnail_IMG_7337.jpg

My first pinstriping attempt.
    thumbnail_IMG_7334.jpg

Tomorrow, if I get some free time after work, I will be laying the 1/16" outer line.

13. Never2low

Never2low

Do I spy a lazy susan turntable mount?

That totally should have been a Tech Week entry!

Love the ingenuity!

Stogy likes this.
  14. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Looks more like an old counter stool swivel that gave up its hide years ago!

15. Thank you!
    Yes, lazy susan from Home Depot, $4.50
    Everything else came from local ACE hardware store.

An upside down clevis pin for the 1/8" rod to go through. I drilled and added a set screw to the to the top of the clevis pin to keep the rod from rotating.
    The clevis pin spins with two collar shafts inside the bronze bushing, which are pressed in the wood base. A little bit of white grease makes spin super smooth.
    It is to remove by just pulling up from the set screw as soon as the line is done.
    Added two collar shafts to the 1/8" rod, on each side of the clevis pin, to allow adjustment side to side (since I am 3 lines) but yet keep it still when using it.
    The long screw on top of the collar shafts keeps it flat against the bronze bushing and keeps the clevis pin from going up/down.
    thumbnail_IMG_7338.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_7323.jpg
    Pretty simple...

thumbnail_IMG_7318.jpg

oliver westlund, Stogy, Tim and 7 others like this.
  16. Round 2.
    Laid down the 2nd line.
    This time it was a bit harder. The Beugler started dripping from the wheel head??? I had to move faster and more clean up.
    Almost done...One more line to go

thumbnail_IMG_7339.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7340.jpg

17. Wheels are done for now. Still want to do a few minor touch ups but done for now
    thumbnail_IMG_7341.jpg

I couldn't wait to see how the hubcaps and the beauty rings would all look together.
    Just had to lay them on top loose, at least

thumbnail_IMG_7344.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7345.jpg

I like it! Can't wait to see them all together with the white walls on.

Frame is next...

18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Looks really sharp! You should be proud.

Stogy, Jrs50 and loudbang like this.
  19. Thank you
    Sure feels good to know I did it. Feeling more confident to the body when the time comes.

20. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

very well done, great how to...

Stogy, loudbang and Jrs50 like this.
  21. Thank you!

22. Wheels came out great! Well done!

23. Thank you!

24. With the experience of painting the rear end, I learned a few things that I am going to do different with the frame to see if I can get even better results.
    Prepped the 2k primer and got it super smooth, down to 600 grit.
    Weather is beautiful so decided to shoot the base coat outside. Warm and no wind.

thumbnail_IMG_7351.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7352.jpg

3 full coats later....
    Painting is not as easy as it seems. Painting the tight corners was a bitch!
    The gun just wouldn't reach the inside corners...what do painters do?
    I ended up using a little touch up gun to get it done but even that wasn't easy.
    thumbnail_IMG_7355.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7356.jpg

I am going to let it cure for a few days. The plan is to hit it wit 800 before clear coating. I going to let the clear cure well between coats and sad between coats too.

25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You're talking about making the painting a much bigger job than necessary, let the first clear coat tack and then shoot a full wet coat, if you want to shoot a 3rd coat, let the 2nd coat tack and shoot the 3rd coat and let it cure then if you want a show type job wet sand and buff it until you're satisfied with the gloss!

26. Only reason I though of doing that way was to avoid gummy like clear.
    When I shot the clear last time, even after a few weeks it was still soft.

I followed the instructions down to "T", mixed it with a measuring cup and let it flash 20 mins, per instructions, between coats and sprayed 3 coats. It took over a month to fully cure. According to the specs, it would have been ready for buffing overnight but it sure wasn't. When I called TPC they told me all kinds possible reason, not enough hardener, weather not hot enough, not enough flash time....I knew that was not it.

First timer fear of clear not curing; hence the idea of letting it cure several days between coats.

27. Clear coated the frame today. I ended up adding 3 coats and letting it flash 1 hour in between.
    It feels so good to stand back and see how far it has come...

thumbnail_IMG_7365.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7366.jpg

I am going to let it cure until it is nice and hard before color sanding it.
    In the meantime, the plan is to focus on the body...it still has lot of body work to do on it...I just might be able to add some color to it before summer ends and start final assembly during the winter.

28. The frame is nice and put away on the other side of the garage. Happy to report that the clear is nice and hard no sign of gummy clear.
    I will start color sanding it in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I went back to the body and I am starting all the finish body work....yes, very slow process.
    Putting into practice everything I learned at the beginning stages. I am mostly blocking the sealer with 180 grit and filling any low spots and feathering using guide coat to 180 grit. Hope to spray the 2k primer sometime next week.
    ...So far, It is looking very straight...

thumbnail_IMG_7389.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7390.jpg

On another note, for those wondering what happened to my Fedex fiasco. Well, they declined responsibility. They claimed they never picked up the top and never took possession of it.
    Crazy, right? I had a written statement from one of his managers from his work email, stating they had picked up the top, took it to the delivery hub, relabeled it and never scanned it into the system....of course they never replied to my, "then how come I have this statement"
    Finally, they decided to pay the claim, but no without a fight. I had to file a Better Business Bureau claim and send Fedex leadership a copy of it letting them know I would follow up with an AGO claim and if needed, I would take it to small claims court. Can't believe I had to get to to this point.
    I still wish they would have just found my top and deliver it. Oh well, that's Fedex.
    Ironically, being a shipping company, they put the check on the US mail and send it the cheapest possible way :) I got my money back.

The good news, I found another top, locally, and should be picking it up by Sunday. The top is in a lot worse shape and more expensive but it should work well for the next steps to make/stitch my own top.

29. Blocking continues....Tedious and boring but at least is coming out better than I expected.

thumbnail_IMG_7406.jpg
    Soon I hope to have it ready for 2k

Some good news, I found a top with a decent enough top material to make patterns from. It is in good shape and it came complete with an original window. Not a smoking or as nice as the one FedEx lost but good enough for my plans.
    I will soon be stitching my own top, stock looking, but with a 2" chopped to it. I want it to look stock, with the folding rear window, and all, but chopped. I will be stitching my own side curtains and even a boot for it.
    Once I am done with this one, I might refinish it, put a new canvas on it, and put it up for sale...or just might put it up for sale as is.

top9.1.jpg top10.1.jpg