Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ADDING A WATER PUMP DISC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 22, 2021.

1. Has anyone ever used a water pump that has a disc attached to the impeller?

I am curious if the addition of the disc would be beneficial with circulation and possibly reduce cavitation.

bra-3875-03_w.jpg

I was looking at water pumps on line and noticed the add on disc and then found a water pump with and with out the disc.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge? HRP

3W JOHN, Jalopy Joker and olscrounger like this.
  2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good question--I changed to a wp on wife's 327 with the disc from orig 65 wp--didn't see much gain but it didn't run hot.

3. The water pump I got has the disc and is on the car but I have noticed any difference but the weather hasn't gotten really hot yet. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  4. southerncad

southerncad

Just curious what is the disc suppose to do?

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. I would think it might move more water and possibly reduce vapor/bubbles in the circulation. HRP

3W JOHN and da34guy like this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

There's a brass or bronze disc behind the impeller in the earlier 206'' Chev., but it probably takes the thrust or maintains end play.

7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

HRP is correct from what I've read.

Moves more water by reducing turbulence and "guiding " the water thru the pump and also reducing cavitation by thru the same way.

I've read of many racers adding them years ago to reduce heat and cavitation.

I will be adding one to my 31 tudor 440.

8. I have one on my electric driven OT 427 drag car and it greatly improves cool down time between runs.

9. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y blocks in 55-57 birds use a 1” extension ring to space the wp out for pulley alignment. There’s an aftermarket disc you can install very similar in function to what you show. It goes in the wp cavity in the front timing cover and is supposed to improve water flow and reduce cavitation. Like most other bird/overheating discussions the results are mixed.

3W JOHN, loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

low budget way to help improve cooling by adding disc to impeller: 20210522_161550.jpg 20210522_161657.jpg

11. Some of the Chevy six water pumps used with the Zips have the disc already installed. Different brands come with are without. Used to could buy the disc but I couldn’t find one the last two times I added the Zips pump. Auto store I used only offered the new pump and no disc. Used a plated electrical box cover to make one.

12. old chevy

old chevy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the Zips adapter on a 350. New pump that came with setup was advertised as Hi volume no disc on it. Just for an experiment I ran it with no disc and about a month later added the disc to pump with pop rivets. I could tell no difference in cooling or anything else.
    Just my experience so far.

13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Sbc powered hiboy I built uses a Zip's adaptor pump recommenced by Deuce Roadster and sold by Auto Zone as a HD pump for 70s 6 cyl Chevys and it comes with a disc installed. Been in use several years and in more than one instance put thru uses that would result in overheating if anything wasn't right. Never seen it over 180^.

14. Dave, the water pump I took off didn't have the disc attached to the impeller. the replacement does, and I haven't been in any stop and go traffic to get a idea whether it will run any cooler than the previous W/P. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Had one in an RV. It made absolutely no difference.

16. SPEC

SPEC

The coolant has to stay in the block long enough to absorb the heat and stay in the radiator long enough to dissipate the heat. High flow water pumps interrupts this cycle. If your engine over heats you have an airflow problem or a radiator that dosnt have enough volume.

17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I nad GM aluminum pump , it had a solid back impeller , OEM .

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Seems I remember your good pal Randy posted some very good info on Zips riser pumps, hoses, correct GM pulleys to use and water pump modes with the plate your speaking of... but can't find it right away.

19. The water flow can also be controlled by the use of different sizes of water pump pulleys and crank pulleys. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This is one of those hard to die urban legends that keep coming back around. Gonna have to call the fact checkers in on this one....

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I learned this the hard way, years ago I purchased aftermarket billet pulleys for my sbc and both the water pump pulley and the crankshaft pulley was the same size, every time I was stuck in traffic the car ran hot.

I believe it was Randy Nash that helped me out by suggesting I used GM pulleys and the car ran cool all the time.

Pump pulley # 3995642 ( 6.25" diameter )
    Harmonic balancer pulley # 3850838 ( 7.25" diameter )

Boneyard51, HOTRODPRIMER and Blues4U like this.
  22. That's what I am using. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  23. Richard L

Richard L
    from Quincy, IL

I installed a disc in my chevy some years ago. Every little bit helps when it comes to running cool . My 350 has over 100,000 miles on it with wear , also I bumped the timing up.

Hnstray, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Randy Nash was a cool guy. Always would answer the questions I sent him.

25. Randy was a walking/talking Encyclopedia when it came to sbc's & Deuces. HRP

cpd682, 3W JOHN and dirty old man like this.
  26. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    3W JOHN likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I added one years ago and it helped on long idling. Apparently it helps to move more coolant then. It didn’t seem to change normal driving.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, is the pump you show in post #26 the one from Auto Zone? part #?
    If no what is source and # ?

29. No Dave, Summit didn't have what i wanted, I ended up using a Flow Kooler water pump # 1777 CW. HRP

Information

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3W JOHN likes this.
  30. Which would you use? The OP pictures help to "upgrade" the Ford impeller to something more efficient.
    429_460_FORD_Water_Pump_Impeller__21572_1500089015.jpg 11115.jpg

3W JOHN, Boneyard51 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.