Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 49-50 Mercury spotlight options

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by level2526, May 22, 2021.

1. level2526

level2526

Hello out there in the H.A.M.B. isphere. I have a 49 merc stock and a 50 merc custom. The 50 had some dummy spots mounted to it but I never liked the idea of fake spotlights. I like the look of the spotlights and I like them to be functioning. What are the most commonly used spotlights for the Merc. ? I believe Appleton’s IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5114.JPG the most common but can anyone tell me the model and if car specific outter brackets are needed. I’m in the research phase so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Early customs used 112's and later customs used the 552's. They are both huge money these days. A decent set will run you $2500 and up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

level2526 likes this.
  3. One Appleton on the drivers side is the ticket, kids in the 40's and 50's couldn't afford 2 so they'd run one. Try it you'll like it. JW

Busted Knuckles and level2526 like this.
  4. level2526

level2526

What’s your definition of early. ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I'm going to say is that when you drill those big holes though the door posts you end up living with them from now on.

Budget36 likes this.
  6. If you still have the dummy spots the mount bracket works with appletons. 112s would be the style to get. Not always priced unless you buy from a flipper. Watch eBay usually in the 2-300 each range. There is one posted in the classifieds but it would need chrome work. Also check out customcarcronicle forum for more in depth info on them. Especially the proper mounting of them. Your dummy’s might not have been at the correct angle. There are more correct dummy on eBay. Kistom Kraft ones that are coy of the 112 body

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  7. For the most part pre 1948. By the time the famous custom Mercs were being built the 552 was pretty much the standard with the well know builders. I am sure guys used other things but what is pretty much accepted as the standard from 1948 to the mid 50's were 552's hence the reason for the high cost.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

level2526 likes this.
  8. That's why I had my Appleton 112s lying around in my garage for some years before I decided to take out the drills. I never regretted it and they just be long on my Merc.

My only concern is water getting in to the A-pillar as the rubber grommets you get nowadays are mediocre at best.

I got my pair of 112s here on the HAMB for a very good price because there were some parts missing (but with good chrome). Luckily those parts were also used on the cheaper Appletons. Found one 551 for 50 $ and had all parts I needed.

P1030791.JPG

P1040041 (2).JPG P1040039 (2).JPG

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  9. Torchie

Torchie

Lots to think about.
    The LH bracket and the RH bracket are different. Finding the RH bracket is the trick as many just ran one on the DS.
    As stated the brackets from some of the dummy spots will work with the Appletons.
    Beware of the fact that some spots have longer arms then others and the long arm ones can have clearance issues with the steering wheel.
    Also make sure you get the inside post hardware as well.
    You will need the outside bracket in place to correctly drill the hole angle. I used a steel sleeve I found at the local hardware store. 1/2" inner diameter. 5/8" outer.
    Fits perfectly into the pillar bracket and gives you the correct drilling angle for the 1/2 inch bit you will need. Also make sure the inner garnish molding is in place so you can drill through that at the same time.
    At this point I don't think that using either a 112 or 552 will matter.
    You can also use some of the better dummy spots with some of the cheaper Appleton parts to create your own functioning Appletons. The big thing is getting the correct handles and switches.
    The originals came with a drilling guide as well as a pattern for placement on the pillar.
    Torchie

Attached Files:

• 2-9.jpg
      2-9.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2-10.jpg
      2-10.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  10. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Live with them ? I dont see those holes after the Appletons are assembeled ever , live with a assembles set of Appletons is a easy life , If I punched lowers in the hood on the other hand , thats something I had to live with , therefor something I will never do .
    Building a custom is personal and for your own enjoyment ! "Early and late" Appletons as in 112 and 552:s I think is somewhere around 1950 but it is fuzzy , there is a patent taken for 552:s in 1947 , if they started making them then or later dont know . Also for more accuresy there is two different 112 models one early and one later . the early model is abit more pointed tip on the light housing , the later 112 has the same abit more dull point on the housing and that one is the same as 552 housings , where the border is between early and late I can only guess but I think WW2 because the early version looks like the prewar Lorraine and Appletons but i'm only guessing of what Ive seen for sale the latest 33 years , quite anoying that there is so little detailed information about Appletons for some reasons . There is also unstamped 112:s , if that was because they were sold under other companys name like Firestone , Mopar , Cadillac that I seen on the little tag on the handles , I dont know !
    According to the Appleton instruction of assembly , there was a templet to cutout and stick in the driprail to mark the two screwholes for the bracket , then a bushing to screw into the mounted bracket to drill thru the A-pillar . However there is several reasons why I dont use this , first the driprail is gone on a real chopped trad custom , second I never found the templet for the cars I assembled Appletons on , this is clearly a craft , you need to look at a favorit trad custom , try to find several angles and eyeball in the favorit position , I use a dummy arm to assemble the Appleton and bracket to , maskingtape on the A-pillar , stick it on the A-pillar and find that sweetspot where the Applton lays almost on the hood and the arm direction into the inside doesnt hit the steeringwheel or the dash . Latest assemblys I made a templet of the handle and arm with a cutout for the A-pillar then lay againt the outside dummy arm , this way you can dial in the position knowing where the handle end up on the inside before the hole is drilled . When the bracket on the driver side is positioned first and screwed to the A-pillar (the drivers side need to be figured first because of the inside proximity to the steering wheel and guages (specially 1949 Merc with different guage cluster)) , then I draw on the tape the center where the shaft will enter , then remove the bracket , tape the passenger side A-pillar , copy the screw positions and the center of the hole to the pass. side A-pillar . I usually start with a smaller drill and work my way out from 1/4" file out to the right diameter , time consuming but allows for angle corrections on the inside and thru the A-pillar . On -49-51 Mercs the inside window molding will have to be nicked in the bottom corner , probably 1/4" , in this angle your knuckles will pass between the steeringwheel and Appleton handle when the Appleton housing is turned in it natural downward position . To find a 112 or 552 Appleton set that is left and right is not easy , to convert a left to a right takes some disassembly and filing a new notch in the arm for the handle screw and not easy to find so think twice , measure trice , file once !! The handle is self both for 112 and 552 handles is possible to invert , in the case of 112 handles the positioning screw ends up unsymmetrical but the switch and handle is symmetrical . Take you time , you will only assemble the Appletons once , I take it slow and enjoy this as a full day endevor ! Best of luck with your Appleton assembly !
    Wolf

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    level2526, drdave, ebfabman and 4 others like this.
  11. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's an Appleton 552 on my mid 50's merc built by Dean Jeffries! [​IMG][​IMG]

Rand Man, 46fatford, drdave and 4 others like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

On another thread I mentioned I came across a bunch of patterns for spotlights. I promised one fellow doing a '49 Merc to get the pattern scanned and send him a copy. (I'm a little slow, been over a week). There is an outide as well as an inside pattern. Flip them over for the other side. If you'd like a copy PM me.

46fatford likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

2 suggestions: 1- Leave the spotlights off the custom. It detracts from the smooth look. 2- change those headlights now, before you paint the car. You're welcome.

302GMC and Crocodile like this.
  14. Rand Man

Rand Man

I believe spotlights look great on custom cars and don’t detract from anything at all. That’s my opinion. Everybody has one.

lurker mick, john W. and spinner like this.
  15. john W.

john W.

spot.png 47 caddy.png I have the Cadillac ones on my 1947 coupe. Sharp.
    Im converting to 12v.

16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You might try Applet 451's aka baby appleton's. I think Wally Welch switched from the 552's to 451's on his Merc. They are pretty reasonably priced.

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

While the Appletons are the spotlight of choice, there are also Unity spotlights available. They don't have such a nice dome shape to them.

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

This may sound direct, but the parts on a traditional styled chopped Merc are critical. One "off" choice can break the entire car.
    Appleton 112's or 552's for a Custom chopped Merc or no spots.
    Another vote for deep sixing those Hagen "fake" frenched headlights. They're as out of place on a chopped Merc as billet wheels.

spinner and desotot like this.
  19. One Appleton on the Drivers side is the ticket like the 50's kids, they couldn't afford 2.

21. A few 112s just sold on eBay in the 200 dollar range complete. Just keep your eyes peeled. Otherwise they can be in 700.00 range for a nos single.

I Mentioned you need to buy one dummy light to get the mounting bracket so you can modify it to fit your A pillar. The Appleton apparent screws right in.
    And yes should take care of those Hagen French dips before bothering with a spotlight. Which will cost the same for the proper rings and trims.

22. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Those are probably Unity spots. They came with the car's brand name on the badge. No where near as spendy as Appletons, and they still make them. I just bought complete mounting kits with diagrams for installation for Unity last year... Appletons are cooler, but the Unity's are more affordable to me... I've got $60. apiece invested.