Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sign of the times I guess

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olscrounger, May 11, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Much as I hate to say it, I believe that the two vehicles that I have in progress now are probably going to be my last.

I don't have the space or time to do anymore. I will not plausibly be able to retire.

By the time that I am no longer able to work, gasoline probably won't even be for sale anymore. I will try to have some fun while it lasts.

2. clem

clem

John Stimac likes this.
  3. A friend of ours died at 61, unexpectedly. His interests were varied and he was a collector. Another friend still curses our late friend because he was tasked with cleaning out the garage and selling parts, train memorabilia and cars. I won’t do this to my family.

4. I think sometimes when a man sees the need to clear out it may also feel to him that he has given up.
    Having a “project” or parts still fuels the need to live regardless of failing health or age.
    I am not one for hanging onto stuff just because though. I am 43 and just recently had a clean-out. I came to realization that time is more valuable than things and alot of the things were going to rob me of precious time with my family.
    So that being said, I’m gonna drive and enjoy what I’ve got though unfinished the way that it is until I pass it on or I pass on.

-Brent- likes this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lynn, you are probably correct about the tech advances, probably have to print pictures.

6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am starting to think about some of the car projects. I sold a couple last year and I think the last 3 years. I have given a few away when I thought it would help someone else get a start. Some of they that I gave away were sold as is by the people I gave them too.

7. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of what I have were on a whim?
    54 Pontiac 2 door hardtop P
    39 Cad LaSalle needs some repair to trunk lid
    57 Chevy 2 door sedan (210) I bought to put a BBC in someday P
    32 Ford Pickup who knows needs body repair and frame just RR
    4 chop 5 channel34 Ford Truck on a later frame 472 BB Cad maybe a days work to finish. still waiting a year ago
    4 inch chop 28 A coupe on 32 frame
    a couple 35/36 truck cabs
    a 33 5 window made out of scrap parts just putting the engine together 331 Cad w 52 truck trans.

chop 10" 26 T coupe on a A frame Cad 390 w Saginaw 4 speed needs drive shaft and side glass wiring rear brakes probably the closest to completion.
    ADHD rules my world! I have one son left and he is or was into cars.
    I have been looking at a 33 on the west coast that would be a challenge and a pain in the ass to get it to Maine!
    I think at 73 it may be time to clear some of these out of my life.
    I cleared a lot of Harley stuff out 3 years ago engines, transmissions, frames, tanks and wheels so it must be time. I think the wife should just burn the barn down when I am gone!!!

8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

And we can prove that statement! I am not in this hobby for the money. I'm in it for the friendships I made over the years, and continue to make. I'm in it for the fun of the bench racing, and the stories that seem to evolve over the decades. I like making things. And the challenges that that always leads to.

So when I kick the big tire in the sky, Ratrodder gets to deal with my stuff, in any way he sees fit! Sorry kid, your father and I both agree on this...

9. clem

clem

Sorry for your loss.
    part of that problem is that no one expects to die ‘suddenly’, - so when does one plan to downsize for that ?
    If you get killed in an accident tomorrow, - are you sorted today ?
    Apart from always ensuring that your family is knowledgeable about your stuff, how can one live their life on that basis ?
    It’s just one of those things that you unfortunately have to deal with if it happens to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Beanscoot and Stogy like this.
  10. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Sorry, But I just don't agree with the whole "Don't wanna Burden my family thing" Here is my thoughts, If I sell my stuff now then my last days are gonna be miserable because I will no longer have the stuff I have loved all my life. Not to mention, The fact that if I did do that then I have created a whole another problem with burdening them with a bunch of money to fight over. (People tend to fight over money more than car parts.) So do I really wanna leave them a bunch of money to fight over? I think not! I will take my chances with keeping my stuff, Not to worry I will leave enough in my bank account to bury me and to pay for the roll off containers so they can have all my 32-34 and model A cars and parts hauled away without having to spend any of their own money. LOL. No matter as I have another plan in the works anyhow. When I pass I am gonna have all my 32's 34 and model A's and vintage speed stuff melted down and they can use the steel to cast my Vault! Who said "You can't take it with you"?? :D:D:D

clem, southpaw-customs and stanlow69 like this.
  11. I don’t do this hobby for my kid, or to create some sort of wealth, I do it for me. I support him in his hobbies, except the video game addiction, he assures me he doesn’t need my help with that. At 17 he doesn’t claim to care about cars, but will volunteer to drive the OT convertible if his mother wants to go somewhere. He is complaining about the 5 generations of stuff he will have to deal with from his mother’s side (my people came here after WW 2 with nothing but a spoon). My buddies will disperse my car stuff if he asks them to. As many times as I changed this kid’s diaper he owes us to at least do justice to things that meant something to us... Hope to have a lot of fun with these toys yet. If some of my older car guy friends give me something, I keep it in inventory to hopefully use in a future project. If I sell it, I ask them first and split with them, and then they buy lunch, and so it goes. I run a 4-h yard art club and sometimes we weld one of the treasures into even a greater treasure, that hopefully will mean something to an entirely new group of people- gonna go be with my stuff now.

hotrodlane likes this.
  12. clem

clem

I guess that I am one of the more fortunate ones.
    If something happens to me, my kids get a car each, the ‘32 coupe goes to my son, and my only concern is that he will pull the sbc and repower it with one of his motors, that he builds himself........3 litre, (183 cubic inch) - 750 hp Toyota Jz1....:eek:

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  13. John Stimac

John Stimac