Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Best scene in American Graffiti

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38fordpickup, May 11, 2021.

1. Dennis D

Dennis D

Drive in where the guy asked Toad "How'd you like a knuckle sandwich?"

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

She married the guy from Albertsons grocery store commercials, right?

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I still don't get why there was only one real decent car movie. I have seen em all.

Hollywood Knights is basically a knock off of AG with a poorly written storyline.
    2 lane blacktop is just bad IMO.
    Fast and Furious 1-39 is comical.

I would think as much of a cult following as it had, someone could do another one, without rehashing the same old crap. I guess the audience is too small.

4. Budget36

Budget36

The movie wasn’t made to showcase cars, but the story line of the last night in town. The cars became a by product.

5. Yes,,,,but George Lucas was a real car guy,,,,the cars were as important to the story line as was the music .
    I’m sure he had to cut some corners due to budget restrictions,,,,but it really turned out great .
    And I have read here where the deuce gave some problems and was really not a nice car .
    Maybe,,,,maybe not,,,,,,some people can tear up an anvil !

If you notice when the car lurches in some scenes,,,,was that the car,,,or the driver ?
    It still looked cool to me I confess that.
    Paul Le mat,,(Milner),,, has confessed from his own mouth that he was not much of a car guy ,,,,maybe he was not good with a clutch,,,,,why would they have to remove the tranny,,,,a T10,,,,during shooting.
    It was only like 28 nights worth of filming,,,,,would a clutch get worn out that quickly,,,,or the tranny lay down that fast,,,,,maybe,,,,maybe not .
    Like I said in the past,,,,,everyone is not adept at driving a stick !
    And the backup people that get the props,,,,cars,,,,ready for the scenes,,,,who knows was involved there.
    And maybe,,,just maybe,,,,some studio guys were raising hell with it during the days,,,,before shooting that night,,,,,you never know ?

Tommy

6. ..............Then us car guys would just pick it apart, you know, like the '55 only has single exhaust and the '32 radiator sits too low and on and on. Once you've created the quintessential "coming of age, car crazy" movie everything that follows kinda sucks.:( AG is a cult classic, hard to eclipse a cult classic. The ones you mentioned tried and failed. Dazed and Confused was fun but a bit weak on car coverage. Thunder Road (albeit 1958) is also a cult classic with some decent car footage. Another genre for sure, but a classic in its' own right.:)

7. big john d

big john d
    from ma

he is franell? on ncis the fbi guy

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and rbrewer like this.
  8. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You forget Bullitt

9. Totally agree. However, there can be exceptions. The chase scene in Bullitt, and the chase scene in Ronin is a prime example.

10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You might laugh (but that's the point of the movie)- the Blues Brothers. The mall scene, and the big chase- that Dodge is bookin' under the El

11. Budget36

Budget36

Anyone ever ride down Paradise road in Modesto? I used to as a kid, grand parents had a vineyard on Garrison that eventually dead ended into paradise. I can’t recall the steep road edges in any place.

12. Gotta agree there could have been a lot of mishandling by the crew that caused damage to the car(s).
    Norm Grabowski told me that his car got him into the acting business: He had rented it out for a movie and the actor(s), stuntmen, or crew (I don't remember which) screwed up and ran into something, causing a pretty fair amount of damage. The studio paid for repairs (and improvements that Norm snuck in). There was still interest in renting it for more movies and TV work, so he added the stipulation that he would only rent it out if he was the only driver, or at least on site to make sure it didn't get screwed up. The rest is history.... He became a handsome leading man!

13. George

George

No idea, just saw where he bought a white T-Bird on 1 of her "big" B-Days.

14. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

There is a really good vid that shows some of the locations then and now.

15. Closing scene where he spots the white T Bird from the plane. Then you see what the future holds for the main characters. Kind of sad but a very good ending. The entire movie was just one night of their lives but you felt that you knew them.
    Then.....the only Beach Boys song I ever liked kicks in with the closing credits. Perfect!

16. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

To me the best scene was the opening scene. With the music and the drive -in I knew it was my kind of movie.............

17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That's because it was filmed in Petaluma, not Modesto. If you know where to look (east end near the 3-way stoplight), you will find the sloped area where the crash happened, and across the road is the PG&E substation they were standing by after the crash. The crash side was still open field until a couple years ago, it's now planted in vineyard. The locals used to actually race out there, there was a starting line and crossed flags painted on the roadway for a while, before the housing developments and golf course closed in

18. X-cpe

X-cpe

Easily. Used to teach in a program that refurbished donations for resale. Put a new clutch and used trans in a K car. Man picked it up Friday evening. Came back on the hook Monday morning with the clutch fried after a weekend of trying to teach his son to drive a stick.

19. trollst

trollst

I gotta say......this has for me been one of the best threads ever on the hamb, so many of you have pointed shit out that I either never knew or missed completely. Keep her going.....

20. Nope, that’s Joe Spano.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nicholas Coe, wraymen and Deuces like this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

22. Budget36

Budget36

I know it wasn’t filmed in Modesto;)

Deuces likes this.
  23. djfordmanjack

djfordmanjack
    from Austria

Actually my favorite part of the movie is about all of the soundtrack and records. It's incredible how either George Lucas or the Wolfman or both of them selected each song to perfectly fit the plot and it really makes the whole movie, imho !

24. Apparently George grabbed a stack of his sister's vinyl and sat in the floor with the record player arranging each song to match a certain mood in the script.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. fegsta

fegsta

Vanishing point 1971l

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. fegsta

fegsta

No I'm having a double _ _ _

Sent from my KOB-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Geez, every time I read updates on this thread, it makes me want to watch it AGAIN, for the 347th time!
    Oh, and another GREAT car movie: Ford Vs Ferrarri.

28. big john d

big john d
    from ma

spano
    Joe Spano played Vic the guy who asked toad if he wanted a knuckle sandwich

54delray, dan c, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.