Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 40 Ford Grille Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, May 21, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have a friend with a good 40 standard grille that has a bar broken loose st the bottom. Is there anyone out there that could make that repair so it wouldn't show? The grille will be painted.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. I had the same problem. Lots of guys recommended "Muggy Weld" which is a low-temp type of solder. I never tried it because I found a replacement grille.

3. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

I have repaired pot metal parts with similar rods. The fusion temperature and "blow out" temp are very close so you have to watch the pieces you are welding CAREFULLY. When they begin to "glisten", let the torch climb the filler rod and allow it to melt into the "glistening" joint. It works quite well if you don't get the part to be welded too hot. Good luck!

4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I have seen guys repair pot metal by having it copper plated then low temp solder will stick to the copper plate to repair the joint....

5. PotmetalB

PotmetalB

Yep. I've repaired many grilles. And the most recent was a '32 Nash Lafayette. The car was backed into at a show by another vehicle and the lower left section was completely knocked off. Anyhow, here are a couple photos of the repaired grille. I'll post before photos shortly..

Attached Files: