Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI 1939 COUPE DU JOUR - Runnin from Johnny Law!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Dec 23, 2013.

1. woodbox

woodbox

Some more parts arrived today, this time from Speedway motors. I ordered a steering u-joint and a length of double D shaft to complete the steering column hook up.
    At the post office, when I picked up the box, I thought to myself "hmmm feels a bit light?". Then when I opened it at home all that was inside the box was the docket, packing slip, boxed steering u-joint! A large piece of green paper (packing?), a speedway motors decal (thanks for that!) and........ ummmm........the hole in the end of the box, where the double D shaft escaped or liberated itself!
    Surely a company has a duty of care to ensure that the packaging is fit for purpose and the contents should not be able to fall out in the process of being delivered. I understand that insurance of the package would help....... If the package never arrived or was damaged! But surely shit shouldn't fall out!
    I have emailed them and asked the same question of them...... Will keep you posted.................. IMG_20201027_134600.jpg IMG_20201027_140010.jpg IMG_20201027_163616.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  2. krazee

krazee

Hey Wade, this has happened to me on more than 2 occasions in the past, I buy from Rocket in Hamilton or Greg Stokes. It does cost more to start with but saves a heap of hassel and I like to see those guys stay in business. I'm enjoying your posts.

woodbox likes this.
  3. I have had good service from Speedway with damaged or incorrect parts, they have always credited or replaced with minor fuss....

woodbox likes this.
  4. woodbox

woodbox

I am hoping they will just reimburse the shaft and freight cost.

kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I feel confident they will take care of you and I feel sorry for the guys in the shipping department for the ass ripping they are about to receive. I was in the hotrod manufacturing business for years and my worst problems were shipping. Have patience and enjoy your build.

loudbang and woodbox like this.
  6. woodbox

woodbox

They contacted me this morning and have reimbursed the item and a portion of the postage. All good.

7. woodbox

woodbox

IMG_20201104_150112.jpg Another delivery today. This time it was a full set of rubber frame cushions to go with the mounting fastenings that arrived last week.

nunattax, loudbang and kadillackid like this.
  8. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speedway did the right thing by you so we will continue to shop there. When we first built our 37 coupe some 35 yrs ago now , taking the body off the frame and thought huh multi coloured body mounts. Well some one had used , jandals/ thongs/ flip flops and radiator hose. Well a decent builder would have at least used a full circle of radiator hose. They hadn’t fared very well .
    3CC6D359-5B78-4BDE-8D19-4C4F6AB5E15F.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    loudbang, kadillackid and The 39 guy like this.
  9. Didn't you get the 37 Coupe off a good friend of mine from Levin?o_O:rolleyes: JW

kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  10. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It had 3 owners after Magoo , and some didn’t look after it., out side with a tarp over it, and disposed of vital parts , obviously including the original chassis ,hence the funky body mounts. Anyway best not to side track Woodbox's very cool thread.

11. woodbox

woodbox

A bit of an update for the team, waiting on a few more bits being shipped (delayed by a virus). I found a pair of doors in the US, shipping them too soon. Trying to get the ducks in a row before a big push on the body.

12. woodbox

woodbox

The ship with my doors has arrived in New Zealand! Now I just have to wait for them to clear customs etc, then I can go pick em up, woohoo!

13. Looking forward to more progress, Wade.:cool::) JW

loudbang likes this.
  14. woodbox

woodbox

received_727965364807319.jpeg
    Late last year I spotted a 39 being parted out so I enquired about the front doors.
    Sure enough I bought them, then had them shipped 7500 miles to New Zealand, and today I drove 5 hours to pick them up from the freight company.
    received_3616624701751606.jpeg
    Tomorrow I will unpack them properly and attack them with some paint stripper to see what I have to work with.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  15. woodbox

woodbox

I decided today to take the doors to a media blaster and get all the jams and hard to reach spots cleaned up and epoxy primed. They should be ready in a week or so then I can strip the big panels and sort any rust issues.

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks like the doors came from a car in Anchorage Alaska (long trip). I am happy to see he followed through on selling some of the parts and that he did an excellent job crating them. I tried to buy the hood but he must have gotten a better offer as he said he was reconsidering whether he wanted to sell it or not. Sent him some money for a trunk latch but he said he couldn't get that off the car. he probably sold the whole trunk to someone else. Well just whinging a little. Your doors should work great on the coupe with some mild reshaping of the arch and back corner of the top of the door.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. woodbox

woodbox

I got the doors back from the blaster last week. They look pretty good with the expected rust and bad repairs along the bottom edge.
    The other news for the week is the newest member of the tribe, a 59 Brookwood 2 door wagon.
    We needed something with windows and a roof for an up coming rod run. I must be getting soft in my old age.
    The car has been in storage for 7 years so I am finding all sorts of surprises, like a fuel line that will deliver enough to idle but too blocked to drive. Exhausts touching the body etc etc.
    Running a 305/muncie on 14" cragars.

IMG_20210515_175545.jpg

18. I like 59,s, was a good year. :cool::rolleyes: JW

loudbang likes this.
  19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Station Wagons are cool. Lots of room to pack a picnic.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. woodbox

woodbox

So I dropped out the offending tank and sure enough 60 years of gas and 7 years of storage has not been ideal for preservation. I could hear the detritus rattling around inside and an inspection with the torch showed up an awful lot of crap inside.
    The decision was made to open up the tank and clean it all out before welding it back up. To ensure that this would not be a life shortening experience I decided to fill the tank while cutting it in half. I filled it with compressed wood chip used for fish smokers or kitty litter, then chucked the garden hose in and filled it with water. After leaving this over night to soak up any old residual fuel and water I felt safe to start slicing.
    A grinder and cut disc around the factory flange weld made short work of it. No big bang and a woody mess to remove later I could see the mess.
    Inside the tank was a layer of varnish about 1/8" thick. Most scraped and waterblasted off but I hit it with an abrasive disc then acid washed before sealing with epiphos to keep it shiny before welding back together.
    There is minimal pitting, worse on the top half where the air gets to the steel, nothing that needs fixing so I should get another 60 years out of it.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  21. woodbox

woodbox

22. woodbox

woodbox

23. woodbox

woodbox

Pretty happy with the days work. They look a lot better than than when I started. IMG_20210521_171252.jpg

24. Looks fantastic. A tip I use if you cut or weld any fuel tanks in the future. Run an exhaust pipe from a running engine into tank for an hour or so first then immediately have at it. An old body man shared his knowledge of this with me during my apprenticeship 48 years ago in Ashburton. Used his knowledge many times since. Cheers. Tony.

25. woodbox

woodbox

The sender/pick-up unit was very fouled with varnish, which is the original reason for the removal of the tank, so I have been soaking it in phosphoric acid and getting great results.
    I have ordered a new sender unit but the freight times to this side of the world are potentially 6 to 8 weeks! So if I want to be able to drive the car, without a boat tote tank on the passenger side floor feeding the fuel pump, an acid dipped unit is going to be better than nothing!

26. woodbox

woodbox

IMG_20210524_090146.jpg After a weekend soaking in phosphoric acid and a bath in sodium bicarbonate to neutralise the pick up is clean as a whistle and ready to go back into service, pending a resistance check for 0 to 30 ohms as factory.

27. woodbox

woodbox

The original brass float is beyond its sell by date so I have a Cork from our collection that is a nice snug fit to do the job. IMG_20210524_090712.jpg

28. woodbox

woodbox

I ran the multi meter across the sender and no bueno. What confused me was that I had a brand new one and carried out the same test and also no bueno. I was checking for resistance so am a little confused.........

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. woodbox

woodbox

IMG_20210525_090452.jpg whoop whoop! Wow that was fast! Look what just turned up on the courier! Yeah boy!

30. Have you tested its resistance, just interested in the lack of results on the other two. JW