Register now to get rid of these ads!

Found Dads '56 Chevy Gasser!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panneton Bros. Racing, Sep 22, 2008.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

That looks awesome!
    The stance is soooooooooo tough looking!
    I never realized it was blue,I always assumed it was maroon for some reason.
    That must be a great feeling to find new photos of your Dad's car.Congratulations you guys!

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Rod Jones shared that this was the first March Meet for the '56. This was as a C/Gasser with an early, Rochester injected 327. Notice that although the engine is set back, it still has steel fenders, hood, and the radiator. At this point, it would have run mid/high 12's. Scott, the color is 1957 Cadillac Cobalt Blue, Dick Jones favorite car, color, at least back then.

3. SM 1.jpg SM2.jpg SM3.jpg Well, its been a long while since I posted on this thread, but some crazy cool history has been uncovered by one Billy Sciler on the ole '56. One of the cars owners we found, was Bob Powers, who owned the '56 from 1975-1995. When he bought the car from a fellow Tri-5 Chevy Club member (named Rick, go figure) for $250 in 1975, it was a stripped ex-racer. Body, frame, stock 56 Chevy rear end to roll it on. No windows, not interior, wiring, plumbing, cool wheels, or front sheet metal/ fiberglass, jus the straight axle and steering. Bob fell in love, and had to rescue it. It was orange, and said "Soulin Motion" on the side. The paint, striping, and lettering was in good shape, so bought a new one piece glass nose, had the paint, and stripping matched by McPeaks in Riverside (who had already done the car previously, and put it on the street with a tunnel rammed 396/M21, and 4.56 geared 12-bolt. We've never been able to find anything about the cars days as "Soulin Motion" until this past Monday. Thank you so much to Billy for posting it, and our good friend Kip Hansberry, for noticing some clues, and forwardings the pic's.., here she is in her D/Altered day.

PS If anyone knows the whereabouts of Elliot, his wife, or sons, please help us to contact them.

4. That steering wheel is so cool can you tell me who made it and I see in some picture it is replaced do you still have it?

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Damn nice thread.Judging from the smiles on the two youngsters faces,you are going to have to start to build a couple of new rides before too long.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. dmorago

dmorago

Hey Rick, this was a 56 Chevy that was quite famous during the 60 in socal. I always liked the way the rear-wells were done. Is this a HAMB link for this car? Are you still living in SoCal?
    upload_2016-5-17_14-54-48.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and brut4s like this.
  7. brut4s

brut4s