Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Buick Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joe p., May 18, 2021.

1. joe p.

joe p.

Thank for all previous reply's and help. I'm looking to make my 1954 Buick special my own. Does anyone know if there was a exterior sun visor made for this car or of one that would fit. Thinking of adding nonfunctional 3 outlet lake pipes anyone have a good pair for sale.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AaaH crap, when will you knotheads quit putting those ugly ass visors on cars. That junk was only put on by the same mind set that now goes to Autozone and buys stick on port holes to put on their Mazdas.
    Passable if you are going the whole Bomba lowrider but not Kustom by any stretch.
    Don't believe me, check out Ric Hoving's Custom car Chronical page by page and come back and tell us how many traditional customs had visors. Custom Car Chronicle He may have a very limited number of bomb lowriders with them but no 40's or 50's custom had a visor. No one had them until Lowrider magazine came on the scene.

chryslerfan55 and BJR like this.
  3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, knotheads...that's a little harsh:(
    Not everyone in the 50s/early 60s who "personalized" their cars was out to build a custom.
    Visors, skirts, spotlights etc. where a way to make your ride stand out a little. And those visors must have been popular, and they must have sold a shit-load of them, because there's always half a dozen at every swap meet.

Just because you don't care for a particular look/style, I don't see any reason to discourage someone from personalizing their car "their way"

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Always thought that with a little sectioning and a tighter conform to the roof edge, loose some bracketry it wouldnt jump at your eyeballs when looking at the car , like all of them do.

5. joe p.

joe p.

Thanks for input have a nice day

6. beegator

beegator

Joe P, I love your avatar. My mom owned a 55 Buick road-master convertible. I wish every day that she would have given that car to me. But she gave it to my brother who traded it for a truck. I miss that car every day.

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. THANK YOU. My first car, a 1940 Buick, had one . In 1953!! As does my 1950 at present. Just because the big name guys did not, does not mean others did not.

I have never seen one on a car with the "wrap around" windshield.

Ben

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. rudestude

rudestude

Actually there is something you can do ....
    Years back I used to show a 56 Buick Special mild custom ....and
    it had a visor of sorts on it , not your usual ironing board type, the stainless trim thats around the windshield is normally laying sorta flat against the windshield rubber and is in multiple sections ...with the top piece being one piece if I remember right anyways we took the same pieces from a Roadmaster and I think Cadillacs are the same or it might of been a option I'm not sure . ?but the Roadmasters upper trim piece is formed were it flares outward forming a visor ...its only a couple of inches but it blends in so well you don't really notice unless you know what to look for .
    I can't remember any modifications that had to be done , but it been a few years.
    I know I had a 54/55 Cadillac sedan a few years back and it had the visor trim on it.
    Check it out.

Sent from my SM-T307U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found one 54 with a visor in all the 54 Buick photos I found on the net.
    1954 Buick Roadmaster | Fast Lane Classic Cars (fastlanecars.com)
    The factory quit putting them on when they went to the more squared off bodies and got away from the round bodies. Meaning that finding an original may be all but impossible because no one wanted them in 54. 1954 Buick Roadmaster | Fast Lane Classic Cars (fastlanecars.com) That one looks stuck on as an afterthought and really breaks up the flow of the car.
    (1) 1954 buick - Bing images

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

11. Bomber1961

Bomber1961

Right on Brother! Don't worry about following the crowd, you build your car for you, not to please anyone else or some hokey standard! The OG Rodders stood out because they did things their way, thats what made them cool!

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Just my 2 cents worth, but a visor on a 54 Buick looks like ass! Not that you asked. :D

13. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I’m old - does that mean it looks good or bad............

14. dan31

dan31

Ass=bad, Bad ass=good

15. BJR

BJR

Looks very bad!

16. Surely you can’t be serious.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.