Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Thanks! I just found your thread also, looking great! Good luck with those king pins. I ended up taking mine to a big rig suspension shop to get them done when I first got my truck on the road with stock suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Thank you! I beat the hell out of them but for now, it'll work. :D

loudbang likes this.
  3. Terrible80

Terrible80

Aren't kingpins fitted with a reamer? No personal knowledge, but I seem to remember that method.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Apache Albert likes this.
  4. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

It depends on what the axle is from. 55 -59 Chevy / GMC pickup axles do not need reaming to install the kingpins. This is according to the factory Chevrolet shop manual.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Apache Albert

Apache Albert

Correct. For 3/4 ton and up they are. Every video or forum talking about bushing inserts were for the floating 1/2 ton. I didnt find out about reaming until I found a service manuel the next day. Gotta replace the bushings again and find me a .932 inch reamer. This is from a 1955 service manuel and boy does it make sense.

Albert

loudbang likes this.
  6. Making progress.. I got the frame painted under the cab and remounted the cab back on the frame. Then I got the front end stripped down and de-greased and gave it a coat of red oxide primer.

1140.JPG

7. Front end is now done. This is going to be a driver so I didn't worry too much about the paint. I just brushed on two coats of Tremclad Rusty Metal Primer and two coats of Tremclad Satin Black. It actually turned out alot nicer than I thought it would. All wear items in the front end have been replaced. I used mostly Moog front end parts with a Proforged Steering linkage kit and KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. Only thing left is to re-install the swaybar.

1150.JPG

8. Now that the front suspension is done, I've been focusing on fabricating a mount for a rear gas tank. It's not quite finished yet, but it's coming together. I drilled out the rivets in the rear crossmember and flipped it around so it pointed backwards and moved it back a little. The bed floor will be raised by a couple of inches, so I built it so the top of the tank will be a raised above the frame rails the same amount for maximum ground clearance.

1160.JPG

Jim Bouchard, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  9. I got a bunch of stuff done since my last update. I finished welding up the gas tank mount and painted the frame and rear end. Installed all new wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, and drums in the rear. New rotors, calipers, pads and bearings in the front. I painted the calipers, drums and master cylinder with VHT Caliper Paint. I ordered a set of emergency brake cables from Control Cables that I will connect to the stock e-brake handle under the steering column. 1170.JPG
    1180.JPG

10. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

You're gettin' there... looks real good!

loudbang and 59chev like this.
  11. I've bent and flared most of the brake lines now. E-brake is done.

Next up I started on the firewall. The plan is to just leave the body in primer and get it running so I can enjoy driving it again. Paint will come later but I want to at least get the firewall painted for now. I smoothed the welds from filling all the holes in the firewall and the patch panels in the floorboards. I used a strip disc on my angle grinder to get the majority of the paint off and I will go back with the die grinder for the spots I couldn't access.
    1190.JPG

12. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Just got up to date on your build great job.
    Thanks for taking the time to post pictures an all the details. Love all the history you’ve had with the truck. My son and I just finished up a 59 truck build real similar to yours. He loves the way it handles. I’m finishing up my 57 truck build now can’t wait to get it fired up this weekend maybe.

59chev likes this.
  13. I used some filler and block sanded the firewall. My bodywork is far from perfect when you look close but I'm calling it good enough. I created a makeshift paintbooth in my garage with poly sheeting. Sprayed my first couple of coats of primer.

1200.JPG

14. Got the firewall painted. Not perfect, but close enough to good for me.

1210.JPG

15. Making progress..

- Primed and used boxliner from halfway up the back of the cab to 2/3rds up the inside of the firewall, also did the outside of the firewall behind the inner fenders. I will put down sound deadening and carpet or a rubber mat at some point in the future but I plan to run it as is for now. I also switched to the 4 speed style floor hump to give me the inch or so clearance I needed for my transmission.

- Installed 3 point seatbelts and a lap belt in the center

- I've always wanted a Moon Gas pedal. I adapted a new heel pivot pedal to work with a reproduction of the factory v8 linkage

- started laying out the wiring, will be a nice change of pace for a while

1220.JPG

16. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Comin' right along & lookin' good... The 2-tone dash looks great!

59chev and loudbang like this.
  17. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I like your 3 pt seat belt. Any details you can share?

Your Moon pedal and stock V8 accelerator linkage set up is also what I want to do in my '57. Can you share some pics and details?

59chev likes this.
  18. Thanks Jacksmith!

loudbang likes this.
  19. I got the seatbelts from Bills Truck Shop in Ontario, Canada. I ordered the style with the airplane style buckle. I also ordered a plate with a nut welded on that fits up in behind the sheet metal for the shoulder mounting point. After I drilled the hole I fished the plate up there by taping it to a small piece of flat stock and pop riveted the plate in place.

For the gas pedal, I used a reproduction of the factory V8 linkage. I did find that the factory holes did not line up so I ended up welding the factory holes shut and just drilled new holes. To connect it i just cut the portion of my stock pedal off that captures the ball on the end of the accelerator rod and used JB Weld to glue it to the bottom of the Moon pedal.

I’ll see if I can get some more pics when I go out to the garage tonight.

loudbang likes this.
  20. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Thanks. I may have asked this on another forum too so you don't need to repeat your answer - you can just do it on here. I wondered what hole you used as it almost looked like the foot starter one.

21. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Looking good!

22. The spot where it comes through the floor is the stock one with the felt seal, same as where the 6 cylinder linkage did. Its just the two 1/4” bolts did not line up with the factory holes, so I welded them up and drilled new ones.

I did weld up the foot starter hole as it was not used.

loudbang likes this.
  23. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Thanks! Keep up the good work!!

59chev likes this.
  24. Here's the pics of the throttle linkage and the Moon pedal.
    1230.JPG

1240.JPG

Jim Bouchard, swade41 and loudbang like this.
  25. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Thanks for the pics! :)

26. I got an amazing surprise for my birthday! My brother gifted me a known good running 305 to kick-start my project. He got the engine, cleaned it up and painted it over the past months. He lives almost 5 hours away so it was quite the surprise when he called me out of the blue and dropped it off. It is complete carb to pan, including starter, distributor and alternator. I was absolutely blown away!

I still hope to rebuild my 327 some day but now I can get on the road sooner rather than later.
    1250.JPG

27. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

You'e doing some nice work on the truck. Your interior colors are the same as my 55 2nd series (its how I got it and will stay the same)!

28. Thanks NashRodMan! I’ve always liked the contrast of the Tan / Gold with the exterior color.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Got my transmission de-greased and painted this weekend. I modified my extra engine stand by making a support out of some scrap steel that bolts to the tailshaft mount.

1260.JPG

Jim Bouchard, loudbang and NashRodMan like this.
  30. Great build…looking forward to seeing more pics of your progress.

59chev likes this.