Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical thinking of putting the battery under the seat in a 39 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, May 18, 2021.

1. nobby

nobby

does it matter now modern batteries are sealed, or will I still get eggy smell

2. My 1965 Ford F-350 wrecker has it there under the glove box in the floor with a cover - never gave me any issues and also those Model A's were right under the drivers feet.....maybe more will chime in....

loudbang likes this.
  3. inthweedz

inthweedz

Got the battery in the original factory box under the passenger seat, in my 37 Nash, no cover over it apart from a piece of carpet.. No ''eggy'' smell from it, even when taking a good charge from sitting a month or so..

loudbang likes this.
  4. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

loudbang likes this.

5. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

No thanks to that price and the possibility of a fire ball from a lithium battery.

CN

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They cost a bit more but batteries for 2000 to 2005 Cadillac Devilles were mounted under the back seat and along with being low profile are usually high amp and set up for a vent hose setup that goes through the floorboard. You would probably have to snag the vent hoses out of the wrecking yard though. There are several other rigs that have the battery under the back seat and are set up for vent hoses. A chat with a knowledgeable battery dude might be best there. I'm thinking that 70 something Audi 5000 that my wife drove for a while years ago had the battery under the back seat and had a single vent hose.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Any of the glass wool batteries used in bmws etc will do. Fully sealed and not full of acid. Last at least 6 years.

loudbang likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The vent tube is 25720111, and can be had for under $20 online.
    The vent tube grommet is 25718300, and is about $6 online.
    The battery is 79-6YR Group 79 88864064, that can be had for $140.

loudbang, Tman, Chavezk21 and 2 others like this.
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Be very careful.
    a lead acid battery can produce hydrogen sulfide. The gas is colorless, very poisonous, flammable and has the odor of rotten eggs.

10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know its OT and this might be deleted but VW had the battery under the rear seat for years.

loudbang, warhorseracing and Hnstray like this.
  11. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Yep and all of mine still do......sometimes I'm amazed I'm still alive:rolleyes:

My 37 Plymouth- under the seat
    My 36 Chevy- under the seat

I have never smelled anything or have had any issues. I do keep up on the battery maintenance.....

loudbang likes this.
  12. AD Chevy/GMC trucks had the battery under the floorboard. I had an '05 Chrysler Sebring that had the battery up under the LF fender. You have to jack it up, take off LF wheel, and take out the inner fender liner to get to the battery. There are + and - posts under the hood to attach jumper cables.

You're thinking of this on a '39 pickup, and I have a '38 which is same cab. If I were starting over wiring from scratch, I would certainly put my wiring panel under the seat in that space inside the seat riser.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  13. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

AGM batteries are sealed so no venting required

loudbang likes this.
  14. patterg2003

patterg2003

We put a pair of Odyssey batteries under the front right seat in our airplane. The Odyssey's are sealed and can even be put on their side with no issues if that fits the space better.

loudbang and jaw22w like this.
  15. jaracer

jaracer

They really aren't sealed, they do have a vent. When I was still working, our battery supplier would inspect AGM batteries for warranty by weighing them. If they were too light, they said they had been overcharged. That caused the batteries to off gas and lose their semi-fluid liquid.

loudbang likes this.
  16. My battery (conventional) is located underneath the passenger bucket seat, accessed through a sealed
    door in the floorboard. So essentially it's underneath the vehicle as far as venting. No problems other than highly inconvenient. I've tried AGM type batteries and had no luck with them.
    If I were doing it again I'd work harder to make it more accessible. I'm installing remote charging posts now just in case.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 2000s Lesabres also had the battery under the seat Group 78. Can be found for $60 to 160 bucks

loudbang likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My old V-dubs didn’t smell. Only lead acid batteries back then..

loudbang likes this.
  19. Put it where you want, but:
    Don't eat hard boiled eggs, don't fart in your car, end of problem.

Chicster likes this.
  20. CME1

CME1

My 1940 Dodge Business Coupe has the battery under the front seat, drivers side. Came from the factory this way. It is in an open tray, which makes it very vented to the out side. The problem with this is every time I need to get to the battery I need to remove the front seat. But there is no battery odor.

loudbang likes this.
  21. KenC

KenC

Or $507 on Amazon!! I've never found a deal there, how do they ever sell anything is beyond me.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  23. dln1949

dln1949

You have probably made up your mind on location, but any way.....The battery in my 40 pu was placed under the seat on the passenger side many years ago. I replaced it with a new side post (Interstae) a few years back, no smell or any other concerns. I would put it back into the original position if it fit just cuz that's where I think it should be. Maybe when this batt gives up I will look into a different size/shape/type of battery.

24. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my old 32 Sedan Deliv. I had the battery under the floor behind the passenger seat...no cover, just carpet...never had a smell or an issue. As a matter of fact, that battery was in there for 12+ years! When I traded the car to Hamtown Al, the battery was still working fine, but he lost his nerve and switched it out.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Hmm...I always blamed the wife for the smell...

loudbang likes this.
  26. Truckedup

Truckedup

Wife's cousin was in a wreck, pinned in the car with injuries. Cracked battery leaked acid on his face, ruined his eyes..
    It was many years ago but shit can happen.

27. birdman1

birdman1

The Lincoln LS had the battery in the trunk with a vent hose

28. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have driven my 39 Ford pickup daily for 17 years. The battery was under the seat when I got the truck but I put it back on the firewall where Henry intended. If your car is a toy thats rarely driven under seat may be ok but for a daily driver you need to be able to get to the battery easily. I think you will hate it under seat

29. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

30. patterg2003

patterg2003

Thanks H380. The information says that the batteries may be installed in any position except inverted. We had a 24V system and found 2 batteries that laid sideways on top of one another was the same size as the former aircraft battery.
    We bought the best aircraft battery possible for the airplane as we fly off rough ground and ice. The aircraft battery died prematurely so we discovered that aircraft homebuilders were using the Odyssey batteries. We have been using the Odyssey batteries for 3 years and they have exceeded our expectations. The airplane cranks over faster than ever and good starts in sub zero temperatures.