Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ricky Nelson Roadster for Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Sep 23, 2003.

1. DonnyK

DonnyK

Here’s just a few pics I snapped with my phone, you can see the Ricky Nelson roadster, sorry I didn’t get better pics

Attached Files:

Baumi, Deuces, gnichols and 11 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics/info

Deuces and DonnyK like this.
  3. Thank you so much for posting, a incredible collection. HRP

[​IMG]

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

impressive collection for sure. i understand this may be a fun game for those who can afford it, and even myself most of my life would have dreamed of similar, but getting near retirement even my dozen or so half done wrecks are too much to think about, shop for parts, housing them, insuring them, its all too much for me, i cant imagine the responsibility to own such a collection ! i need to down size!

Baumi, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  5. socal34

socal34

6. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I was just wondering who was the better or are they equal: Buddy Holly or Ricky Nelson. Ricky played rock and roll his whole life and even had this hot rod. Like Buddy, Ricky was killed when his C-47 caught fire in flight and crash. I have to say I like both but Buddy was a little more wild on stage and in his music.

Stogy likes this.
  7. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three dog garage is awesome! I didn’t know he had the Paul Fitzgerald roadster. It’s in fitting company!

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This video showcases this Hotrod back in the day...there are several appearances of it the first within a couple minutes..
    ;)

putz, dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. belair

belair

In terms of who was more influential, no contest. It was Buddy Holly. Tremendous body of work in 18 months, and his affect on the artists to come was profound. Nelson was certainly a good singer, and I like his stuff, but Holly was a creative inventor and Nelson was (just) a good singer.

stillrunners, Boneyard51 and DonnyK like this.
  11. DonnyK

DonnyK

Ross really does pour his heart and soul into these cars, it also helps to have full time employees to help with the maintenance and care of them, I'd like to say I'm a little jealous but if you ever had the opportunity to view his collection and meet Ross and talk to him you'd be very grateful that a man like him has these cars. He truly loves and appreciates these cars for what they are and the history of the build, not all of his cars are prestine, in fact a few of them look like something you'd see some kid working on in his driveway but the car has a story and Ross preserves that. My hat goes off to him and I look forward to enjoying his collection for many more years.

Hank37, Boneyard51, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  12. DonnyK

DonnyK

You're absolutely right, Buddy was an innovator, no disrespect to Nelson. My wife and I got married 15 years ago and our wedding song was True Love Ways.

belair likes this.
  13. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I've spent some time with them and they're good guys. I like them.

DonnyK likes this.
  14. 59Tele

59Tele

Buddy for sure. Ricky made some great records, having two future greats in his band: James Burton on guitar who went on to work with lots of famous people and was Elvis' band leader for the duration in Vegas. His solo on "Hello Marylou" still stands as one of the all-time great guitar solos. Joe Osborn on bass went on to be a much-in-demand studio bass player in LA, Mamas & Papas Simon & Garfunkle, etc. Buddy was one of the first self-contained artists that wrote the songs, had his own band perform on the records and pretty much managed his own career at a time when NOBODY managed anything by themselves except maybe Chuck Berry and Ray Charles. Plus, he was the first to use the 2-guitar, bass & drums format. Norman Petty, who owned a good studio in Clovis, NM was smart enough to let Buddy do pretty much anything he wanted and the rest is history.

pitman and DonnyK like this.
  15. rusty valley

rusty valley

by golly that was a fun video, never knew ozzie was a motor head

dana barlow, Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

This whole informative thread is a little history for all of the youngsters that used to watch the TV show. My mom liked the show because of the wholesome family idea. A dad, mom and two little kids. I am sure she tried to emulate what she saw on the TV screen. It must have worked, the two little kids grew up to be great kids, just like the two on the Nelson TV show,HA!

My mom always had a thing for Laguna Beach, CA. She wanted to own a house or property in that community for years. But of course, our dad put a clamp on that idea… “no one buys empty property on a beach and pays taxes for the lot” …sheesh, such values…and it was 1958 at the time. (TODAY, A MILLION PLUS...) I am sure that somewhere she got the idea of living by the beach was going to be great for the family. Wow, we would have grown up 60 miles away from Lions Dragstrip and Bixby Knolls. That would certainly have been different.

Since we grew up with early hot rods and drag racing, the Ricky Nelson Roadster was one of our favorites. It helped that the whole Nelson family moved to Laguna Beach in the 50’s, but behind one of the most exclusive gate guarded portions of the coastline. When my wife and I lived there for many years, much later, our favorite beach was just steps away from that private community during low tide.
    http://articles.latimes.com/1998/jul/24/news/ls-6580 the Laguna Beach Nelson story

Jnaki

I am glad that this green roadster is back in the limelight again. It would have been fun to see it cruising down the coast line (and parked across the street from their private compound) at the popular restaurant, nestled against the cliff side. That was a popular stopping point on any coastal cruise from Long Beach to San Diego. (Dr.)Duke’s Family Restaurant that served the largest burgers and fries we have ever eaten.
    (Today, the restaurant is the famous Ruby's Roadside Diner.)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-8-31-18.1120283/#post-12718007

Ricky Nelson Roadster

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In 1976, Rick Nelson told me he never wanted the Tony LaMasa roadster, although it was 'fun to drive'...
    His older brother David was the family 'gearhead'. David had sold his magenta '40 Merc coupe before the filming of "the Road Race", so when the roadster was brought around for filming, David went 'ape'.
    (Rick's words)
    Ozzie thought the roadster was impractical, and had no place in the Nelson garage.

When Rick was killed, the news hawks rushed to say he and his fiance', and members of his band were smoking crack. Never published truth, however, was that the pilot and co-pilot started a fire with the plane's heater.
    When they crash-landed, the pilot threatened the co-pilot with the 'crack story'.
    The airplane was owned by some friends of Rick, who leased him the plane for travelling to and from shows.
    These plane owners also had a 7-11 store in Visalia, (hence the registration numbers on the C-47 (DC-3) which were 'NC 711'.
    Rick was looking to buy a ranch in Visalia, after the tour. (I lived in Visalia then, was deeply saddened by the news) Rick Nelson was a sincere, humble individual.

F-ONE, Tman, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  18. exterminator

exterminator

I still say it should be in my garage,i would cherish it.......really.:rolleyes:

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for this background story. I think we often forget that big stars are just regular people. Snowman

20. This rod is only five miles from my house , seen it many times . IMG_0918.JPG

loudbang, Baumi, tb33anda3rd and 5 others like this.
  21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s very fitting , sitting beside the Fred “chrome” Steele roadster; as it’s an icon itself!

22. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Not only he was good looking , he had great taste and he could sing.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  23. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Rick Nelson died a hero. Rick was found shielding his fiancé from the flames. His last thought were of others, not himself.
    There is no greater love. The man was a hero.
    The fire was traced to possibly the heater compounded with the wartime built C-47's magnesium framework.
    The pilot and co pilot were able to escape out the cock pit after landing the plane.

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There is no question Holly was the greater talent. It's conjecture, but Holly would have most likely been a producer/performer, most likely in the "Pop" genera. Eventually he would have probably made the move to County in the later 60s, as did many Southern/Rockabilly performers.
    He probably would have had a late 60s-70s TV variety show, been a quest star "Hollywood Squares" "The Tonight Show."...maybe movies or a episode or two of Columbo or the Dukes of Hazzard. He would have wound up playing Vegas, Opryland and Branson....
    He would have most likely had a big resurgence in the late 80s..much like the "Traveling Wilburys" and Roy Orbison.
    Holly would have been a Big Shot but not the cult legend he became. No American Pie...

Nelson although a great talent, was not the big shot Holly was. I would put Nelson and Dion on the same par with maybe a little edge to Dion.
    Both had big hits in the later 60s/early 70s. Both were message songs. Dion had "Abraham, Martin and John" while Rick had "Garden Party". I actually prefer Garden Party as I feel it's more real world while Dion's tribute song is just a little over the top. .

COCONUTS and loudbang like this.
  25. Not sure if it’s an authentic window card or a copy but still pretty cool.
    EEB3F24F-A761-4FCA-BB61-1D117D7F91AA.jpeg