Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any love for 40's Buicks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastcar1953, Apr 11, 2021.

1. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You're in for a treat, then. With the idle screwed down to about 350 - 375 rpm, you can stand at the back bumper & hear each cylinder fire ... BC '50 Buick.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

As mentioned earlier, my dad is/was a Buick fanatic. It all started with his old 1941 Buick Fastback Sedan and topped that with a huge black 1949 Buick Roadmaster to have larger accommodations for his two growing sons. But this episode of 40’s Buicks deals with the other side of the family.

My wife’s mom had a 1947 Buick convertible when they lived in Pacoima, CA. in 1952. It was a stop over for several years as her dad worked in the aircraft industry. When a contract was over, then they moved to the next place on the itinerary or the first available job opening. For him it was fine, but for the three kids, it was make a friend, then leave, only to arrive someplace to make new friends to leave within a couple of years.

It was a vicious circle. But, the cars did not always go along with the family. My wife said that when they moved back to OKC, the convertible stayed in So Cal and was sold before they left on the long road trip in one car, a 55 Chevy. Then, it was an old Ford sedan.

upload_2021-5-5_3-48-0.png
    1951 Pacoima, CA. A couple of young, cruising ladies with the top down in a convertible, on a warm So Cal day... Typical driving style from what people see as driving in So Cal. Throw in some palm trees, the beach, and ...”Cause that’s how the Buick rolls...yeah”

Jnaki

The love of a convertible is a girl/women thing, as far as So Cal is concerned. There have been plenty of times in our life together as a couple that my wife just cannot get a convertible out of her mind and conversation. Then after looking at several different models, the conversation and want, dies down until the next time. (several years ago, we saw a Buick Skylark convertible in Newport Beach and for months, the conversation popped up about what it would take to get on and make it reliable for our daily driving.)

NOTE:
    upload_2021-5-5_3-49-51.png photos surfer mag web
    But, researching surf history and forms of transportation, the photo of Kathy Kohner Zuckerman popped up showing her loading or unloading her single fin longboard at world famous Malibu Surfrider Beach from the rear of her 46-47 Buick convertible. Malibu was the home of the movie, Gidget. We all loved the movie and the surf oriented life style for young folks. The Gidget in the movie was the real life, edited version of Kathy Kohner Zuckerman’s growing up years. Yes, Kathy Kohner Zuckerman could actually surf, so no need for a green screen.
    upload_2021-5-5_3-51-10.png
    Malibu Point PCH parking area. The Gidget movie shows what her life was as a teenager growing up surfing in Malibu and the surrounding areas. The photo was taken on Pacific Coast Highway, right in front of the world famous, Surfrider Beach at Malibu Point. These spots are the premium. It took us many times to figure out when to get there from Long Beach, for the pristine southern hemisphere waves. But, once there, it was open the doors between surf sessions for the best seats in the house. (besides riding those great waves)
    upload_2021-5-5_3-52-20.png

P.S. 16 years later, My wife's mom and I were in a geography class together in college. She was finishing her final semester for her postponed college degree. I had one year left. My wife’s mom did not surf, but her love for her Buick convertible was just as strong as anyone cruising around in such a cool car.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

A Friends Racer... POCATELLO POWER HOUSE 002.JPG

UNSHINED 2 and 302GMC like this.
  4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-18_4-10-16.png 1947

Hello,

We moved from the tiny trailer court on the other side of the LA River to our first real house in 1948. The U.S. Government sponsored, trailer park near the intersection of PCH Highway 101 and the LA River, was our first official home in Long Beach from 1946-48. (currently, the old trailer park location is now a huge Goodwill Industries Complex)

We had traveled the whole distance of California from the Oregon border down to coastal Long Beach in a couple of days in a 1941 Buick Fastback. It was my dad’s car and the start of a long line of Buick sedans in his lifetime.

upload_2021-5-18_4-13-34.png 1946
    We moved to this old Craftsman House with a big front yard and huge backyard. It even had a three car garage with separate opening doors for each stall. Attached to the garage was an odd-ball living quarters, a bachelor(ette) apartment. It was a single room with a separate bathroom and multi-pane glass entrance door.
    upload_2021-5-18_4-15-6.png 1948
    1941 Buick Fastback in Long Beach, CA in 1948 (first photo in front of our trailer park home in 1947, the second, 1946 with my "pump-mobile" and finally, in front of the white picket fence in 1948) The 41 Buick was bought in 1946 and was the first in a long line of Buick sedans (9) for our dad, until his passing in 1984.
    upload_2021-5-18_4-17-50.png 1946 in front of our old trailer parking lot.

Jnaki

When I was 5-6 years old, I used to run down the whole block to meet my dad coming home from work. (The Westside LB area was safe back then…)

He would put me on his lap and allow me to steer his big, 1941 Buick Fastback, for weeks of “driving” a real car down the block. He showed me how to park in front of the house under some giant palm trees.

So, at age 6 years old, I had actually steered a 1941 Buick Fastback Sedan and rolled it up to the curb in front of the house. It did not matter which way the Buick was facing as our street was relatively deserted.

It was my first experience “driving/steering” a real car. I loved it then and it continues to today. It is hard for me to sit in the passenger seat and have someone else drive any car.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

7. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-15_7-42-26.png
    Hello,

Before our dad rolled into his street side parking place in our first Westside of Long Beach home in his new 1949 Buick Roadmaster, he had a 1941 Buick Fastback. It was our first family car. Both brothers had plenty of room in the back seat of the fastback sedan. But, our dad knew the fast growing boys were going to outgrow that enclosed space in the 41 Buick and would require a larger car, soon.

After getting used to going everywhere in the 41 fastback sedan, up rolls this black behemoth of a car in front of our white picket fence. Both brothers came running outside and wondered at this huge black tank sitting in front of our house. We even had our own doors for the back seat.
    upload_2021-6-15_7-42-46.png
    Similar 4 door sedan in front of a white picket fence.

Besides the 4 doors, when that big black sedan was parked there in the street, it was a very shiny car. After we were amazed at a new car, my brother and I called it a giant black submarine versus the silver rocket of the 1941 fastback. But, there was so much room to sit, read, sleep and play in that giant back seat for the two brothers. I am sure our dad liked driving the big, black sedan with two boys being quiet in the huge back seat.
    upload_2021-6-15_7-43-11.png

Jnaki

We kept the 1949 black 4 door Buick sedan until 1953, when we moved to our last Westside of Long Beach home. Now, the house was near all of the hot rod/drag race shops and industrial buildings. Our dad was happy, so he went out and bought a new 1953 Buick Roadmaster 4 door, two tone sedan for his next family car.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  9. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

My parents have a 1940 2dr sedan , and had a 1949 super 4dr

10. v8flat44

v8flat44

Well, i like all of the sedanettes & the 2 door h/t in post #37.....and i'm a Ford guy. Love the straigh 8 Dynaflash with dual carbs & split manifold. Them thar things is really Super...pun intended!

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 48 convertible I sold this spring and the 49 sedanette that we are painting right now.
    1948 Buick Convertible.jpg 0806201033a_HDR.jpg 0806201032.jpg

12. 1pickup

1pickup

@rockable You should have kept that sweet '48 Rag top. What a beauty!

13. BJR

BJR

Your 49 is talking great shape!

14. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I like em! IMG_4890.JPG

UNSHINED 2 and uncleandy 65 like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-21_4-24-40.png
    Hello,

That Buick convertible is the nicest build here on the HAMB, or was. If my wife and I had that convertible parked in our small garage, she could use her memories of cruising around with her mom back in 1950s, in the hot temperature-wise, city of Pacoima in So Cal.
    upload_2021-6-21_4-25-52.png
    At the time, that convertible was strictly her mom’s car. Her dad had his old Chevy, work only, coupe and a 2 door sedan for family adventures. But, as my wife remembers the convertible, it was fun as the oldest daughter, to be able to ride around with her mom.

Jnaki

If that cool beige 48 Buick convertible were in our current garage, we would take it over to her sister’s house. The destinations would all be varied, but, go for plenty of shopping trips and local road trips, thinking about their mom driving back when they sisters were little.

Cool convertible and great build. Those wheels and accessories are quite nice.

UNSHINED 2 and rockable like this.
  18. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jnaki likes this.
  19. Rand Man

Rand Man

My Dad and grandpa drove Buick, so I have an affection.

20. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

21. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65