Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hemmings Hot Rod BBQ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 19, 2021.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Hemmings Hot Rod BBQ

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I knew there had to be some explanation!:D;)

Joe Blow and winduptoy like this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've watched the first half...30 minutes or so, I've got a short attention span. You can tell that the two of you have history... I'm going to watch the whole thing before commenting....I know it is a strange concept...

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You can tell Dan is a polished/intelligent man capable of person to person communication. And you can tell I'm a neurotic idiot. It's great! :)

Joe Blow, Silva, GordonC and 6 others like this.

5. That was cool man, enjoyed it.

like you I do this for the cars. I’m not a people person.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. williebill

williebill

You looked like you needed a more comfortable chair.
    That ants in your pants thing.
    I'm glad you guys did it. Some of us out here in the wasteland will probably never cross paths with you, but now I can put a face to your posts.
    Glad you created this monster, too. Nice hangout.

jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You covered a lot of good topics there…but I want to see a picture of you with that Pompadour!

8. Next time I see you (yeah right!) I'll buy you a Diet Dr. Pepper.:D;)

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

Dude. You are Gold.

Miss you Bro.

Thank You.

dana barlow likes this.
  10. Watched part of it already, good so far man

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

And I want to see @Stoner with the Menudo mullet.

That was an entertaining hour. Well done, fellas.

Malcolm and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Your story of the 34 coupe in Paris is similar to mine. I was born in 77 so my formative years were street rods and billet. In 92-ish I saw Tommy Otis' 32 Roadster at the LA Roadster show and it stopped me in my tracks. Every model car I built after that had steelies, white walls and flatheads. I found the HAMB in 2001 but didn't join until 2007. tom1-2.jpg

And, not to kiss ass, but I built a 40 Ford Sedan because of the influence of the HAMB. I had done nothing prior except minor repairs. So, I thank you for that space for me to meet people and be inspired to do something cool.

13. I thought you handled the interview well in your own enigmatic way. HRP

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Your Cool Ryan !
    Blend by each ones perspective in there own time!
    I was asked around 4 years back ,by a young very pretty girl at my Publix checkout; Out of the blue;"Are you famous?"
    My reply took me a momet, but was that her being so young n pretty ?,I finally said;
    "There are those now, who are famous for pretending to do what I did."
    You may in deed, use my reply,for that fits more then just me !
    Those that know,know!
    Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  15. Dana, maybe the answer should have be, some may say I am infamous. :D HRP

16. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

Looking forward to listening to the podcast. Ryan I am sure whatever you said will be riveting.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Watching it now, very cool. You did a good job @Ryan , and it's good to get to know you better.

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin' interview man.

Zoom may actually help with the public anxiety / speaking.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HAMB origin story from the horse’s mouth.
    A Model 40 in France, truth is stranger than fiction!
    Entertaining indeed.

kidcampbell71, Baumi and dana barlow like this.
  20. It's been a long and crazy ride from the beginning of when us first 200 signed up. I have always used HAMB for reference, entertainment, and made friends all over the country from it. It brought back a lot of memories from the late 80's and early 90's when it was truly underground and we all were learning how to build hot rods from the Don Montgomery books. The early shows like Greaseball in San Francisco at 333 Slims, or the shows at Linda's Doll Hut, The Derby in LA, etc. The small magazines like TSR, Garage, Gearhead, etc. It was really nice to finally get to know you @Ryan as we have met in the past but now understand why the conversation never went very far. I am so glad we are GenX and how we all grew up in skateboarding, BMX, punk rock, and the other cultural touchpoints that make us GenX.

I have shoeboxes filled with photos from this time and maybe for a summer project, I will need to start scanning and posting them all in hopes of attracting the younger crowd. I know it was really hard for you to do the interview but totally worth it for us. I have said it before and I will say it again if you ever need help in running the place I am always ready to jump in.

PS. Stoner I am still waiting on issue two of Autocult. Just saying.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  21. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember back in the 80's when Street Rodder was a really big publication. Up until then I was into muscle cars. All the ads were about Mustang 2 this and that, repro frames and Down's bodies. I remember thinking how cool it would be to have a modern A or '32 roadster. I could never afford what it would have taken and muscle cars were way more accessible and affordable - AND- you didn't have to build them from scratch. I always wondered and probably assumed the original running gear was no match for the driving conditions of the time necessitating the change. Then I saw that Shifters article Ryan spoke of and I was like "hey wait a minute, if those guys are running the old stuff why can't I"?
    The Hamb came along at the right time. It gave a platform for learning and sharing that didn't exist prior.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

History 101, thanks for it all.

23. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I just listened to the whole podcast/discussion. It really was great and got me thinking about the past 20-25 years (I'm 41). You and Dan touched on a lot of good topics, things I'm sure many of us on here think and talk about amongst our own friends. .. Or right here on the HAMB.

My main take-away is just a simple reminder that I sometimes need. This hot rod / car stuff is meant to be fun and really not taken too seriously. Who knows what it will be like in another 20 years. It looks like tonight will be a good night to get the roadster out for a spin and a recharge for me.

24. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really enjoyed it like hangin out with my buddies and having a beer or a Dr. Pepper .
    You were just you. No show, all go. I didn´t notice anything akward. Either you are perfectly normal or I am all screwed up. I´ll let you decide. But just as a warning, don´t call me strange, I can´t take that.

( Just for your info, I meet a lot of people, known or unknown, and not a single one of them is feeling comfortable standing in front of an audience. That´s a trained skill, like welding.)

25. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, all of what you said is true. Plus I`ll be 45 this July and most of my punk rock / hoodlum attidude has worn off by now. I even care to be street legal, go figure.

chryslerfan55 and Malcolm like this.
  26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Very good interview and answered a few unasked questions. Interesting for when you alluded to your education...what are your degrees in? No so good when you guys talked about the electrification of autos and the possibility of having difficulty feeling up. I spoke to an electrical engineer once and he said that the cost will slow down the conversion. It's not the cost of the cars it's the cost of re-wiring neighbourhoods to take the load. It's not like charging phones and iPads. He estimated that two to three houses in a block would be max before the whole area would have to be redone.

I know how the anxiety and crowd aversion thing works so I feel for you. And you're not a bad looking guy after all.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have undergraduate degrees is Business Administration and Visual Communication. After that I got by MBA as well as a masters in E-Commerce. Ironically, I still think I learned more in high school? I dunno...

As far as electric cars go, you should drive through Rollingwood in Austin. Marcie and I counted 13 Teslas in one block. At least here in Austin, the grid seems to be keeping up barring crazy winter storms. :)

I've driven a few Teslas... Once you drive one, you realize pretty quickly that they are the future. And they are cool in the same way that getting a new iPhone is cool - shiny, modern, tricky, etc... But it doesn't hit you in an emotional way like a new gas powered car does. They are an appliance. Hard to explain... and if I try, I'll get depressed, so...

Oh... and thanks for the nice words fellas.

Paul, Nostrebor, Dan Hay and 11 others like this.
  28. Man oh man, this is great. I could listen to this conversation y'all are having for hours. Its crazy to think back and remember all of these stories coming together in the rebirth of the traditional car scene and the beginnings of the HAMB - and I also wonder about what happens next.

Great to see Stoner! It has been forever. I was really excited when he came to launch Garage magazine at the first Round Up - having him and David Perry there was a big deal for our little show on a football field and really felt like it legitimized us in that world. I still a couple of the Hatch Show Print promo posters he did for the show. Also @Ryan thanks for the tip on the Garage magazine #1 - I still have a stack of those stashed away too.

LSRU02.jpg

51box, lothiandon1940, Tman and 4 others like this.
  29. Also - the cd box set was on Rhino records (not Estrus), and the guy that put it together was James Austin - he was in charge of all those special packaging box sets that Rhino put out like the Brain in a Box sci fi set with the hologram of a floating brain. He was buddies with Jimmie and the Austin guys and that why some of their cars are featured in and on it. That Hot Rod box set is really beautiful with all the Von Franco art throughout.

Gary Howard built a really beautiful 1955 Chevy truck for James - lots of great Howard subtle mods and a jaw dropping pearl mint green paint job.

Gary, man.

DSC_0780.JPG DSC_0781.JPG

51box, lothiandon1940, Tman and 7 others like this.
  30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The guy that set and delivered the graphic look and feel of the hot rod scene in Austin, TX... I will forever think of you when I think of design, Austin, and hot rods... no shit.