Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Ford 3 window build finish details

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chief 64, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't beat working at a comfortable working height. Makes so much sense and I'm sure also helps to get a better result.

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Chief 64

Chief 64

Hi Guys (& Gals if any)
    I am back on the 32. I jumped to another project for awhile putting a 5-speed in my off topic 64 GTO but now I am back on the 32.
    Well there is another thread that guys were making jokes about it giving them ADD and making them dizzy because it jumped around so much. I laughed at first and then I thought ...hey....my threads do that!!!:rolleyes: Oh well, here is my progress and yes it jumps around a bit.o_O
    My son is doing body work on the door. It has a patch panel at the bottom and since there is always a chance of a pin hole in the weld we put a layer of Tiger Hair on the seem to seal it really good so no water ever gets in from behind and causes problem later on
    IMG_2638 (1).jpg

After sanding the Tiger Hair, Rage filler was applied
    IMG_2677 (1).jpg

Then sanding and knocking down the high spots
    IMG_2682 (1).jpg

More sanding and knocking down the high spots in the steel.
    IMG_2689 (2).jpg

We have been using a Dura Block.
    IMG_3019.jpg

The door has been a struggle. So a friend recommended a hard wood block for sanding thinking the Dura Block was too flexible and causing us undo problems. So I made a hard wood flat sanding block. We'll see how that goes.
    IMG_3020.jpg

Ok I am jumping to another part of the car.
    The frame is totally prepped and ready for paint. I made a wooden cart to wheel it in and out of the paint booth and around the shop.
    IMG_2815 (1).jpg

Jumping to another subject now.... (this is number 3 if you are counting)
    I also made a cart to hold the rear end for painting and to wheel around the shop. In the background is the gas tank I am applying filler to smooth out the areas you will see when the tank is mounted on the car.
    IMG_2874.jpg

I am jumping again....(number 4)
    My car has a inset firewall so we plastered the welded seem with tiger hair to seal the weld just in case it has any pin holes. Most of this will be sanded off and Rage filler will be put on next. Remember car body is upside down on a cart so photo is a little disorienting.
    IMG_2748 (1).jpg

Subject jump number 5...
    The side of the cowl is turning out nice. At one point it had one of those antennas that had 2 mounting holes on the side of the cowl. Those hole have been welded up but the panel was pretty lumpy.
    IMG_2690 (1).jpg

Wow I am really jumping around... Subject number 6
    I started working on the headlights. My sandblaster has not been working very good but I found out my compressor regulator went bad, so I replaced it and now my sandblaster works great!!! I am so happy I have been sandblasting everything in sight! I have these headlights for my car, so I sandblasted them.
    IMG_2831 (2).jpg

They are King Bee 100-101
    IMG_2833 (2).jpg

All sandblasted
    IMG_3042.jpg

I ordered some new tags for them from a HAMB member that makes them. Really nice tags.
    IMG_3046.jpg

Well that is my progress on the 32.. I hope you guys could follow along with out getting dizzy.:D:D:D
    Greg

Attached Files:

3. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

4. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Any work since May?

5. Chief 64

Chief 64

Jim,
    Thanks for asking!
    In May 2021 2 things happened. First, after being on a waiting list for a golden retriever to replace both of my shop pals ( also goldens, both died of old age) we finally got the call the breeder has a puppy for us, I got my new shop dog! Second, the company where I used to work called me and asked me to come out of retirement for a couple years. So I started full time job as Facilities Manager.
    I totally underestimated the energy a new puppy takes and underestimated the time working full time at my age would take from my hot rod. So the answer is not much progress since last may.:(:(
    Before they throw me off the hamb for putting my hot rod behind work and a puppy, I did get to the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk last summer and two days of the Hot Rod Power Tour before I almost melted from the heat. I also made it to Detroit Auto Rama last week. I am planning on getting my seat upholstered this spring. My wife and I studied hot rod seats for ideas at AutoRama.
    How is your 3 window coming? Any updates?
    Greg

6. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Greg,
    Good to hear from you. I was getting worried. I will post some pics tomorrow. A lot of progress has been made on both 32s. I think you will be pleased.
    Jim

7. mtndone

mtndone

I just found your thread, thoroughly enjoyable read, thank you for posting.

Shane

Chief 64 likes this.