Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Sprint OHC 6 found in a junkyard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robb's Classics, May 14, 2021.

1. Seems the ohc did use a 2 speed hydro matic

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 69 Olds Cutlass convert with an Olds 350 ci and a 2 speed trans like a glide. Made a 442 lookalike for my daughter in HS. 2 speed autos were out there and not glides...Ford even had one.

Mark Yac likes this.
  3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Tex Smith's "Dollar a Pound " roadster ran one of these engines. I built a 31 rpu for a guy in Idaho in the early 2000's with one. They are a great looking engine and perform really well in those cars.

egads, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon man!! You can't fool us. That's a FORD that Leno has his hands on.

5. Yes that is correct. It ran pretty good until the cam went flat. I then put a 389 high comp in it and never looked back![/QUOTE]

This another one of them?

7F773B69-0C68-4AFE-B3FC-63CE456F86F3.png

6. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yup... :) .
    Marcus...

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I drove a Firechicken with the Sprint package. I was working at a Standard Chevron Dealer all through high school, and for a while afterwards (when my uncle sent me an invitation to come play war with him). The car had factory traction bars, and a 4 speed; I don't remember what 4 speed was in it, Muncie or Saginaw, or maybe the ford some Pontiac's used. It was dark green (Forest Green?), with black stripes down the sides. Pretty snappy car. Always thought they should have stuck those engines in Nova's/Ventura II's. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Actually, there were some actual Powerglide's that were built using the BOP flange/bell-housing. They are rare, and of course they're sought after by the BOP drag racers. Occasionally, one will come up on E-Bay; there is a bare case currently on E-Bay, item number 2393982744520 for a BIN price of $550.00/offer. The ST 300 is more frequently found, and some of those had the Switch Pitch feature; the Switch Pitch, ST-300 torque converter is often used in the Switch Pitch, ST-400, for a little more stall speed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  9. You are correct, Butch. I don't mention them because they were so rare.
    So the fact remains that about 99.9 % of the guys who drove a BOP 2 speed car back in the 60's -70's don't have a clue. Also that the Pontiac 230- 250 SOHC had a BOP bolt pattern

10. Larry Will

Larry Will

Great find and nice save. My self I would try to make it run if it's in good enough shape. I know art is cool but I'm sure someone out there could use the eng or the parts should you choose not to.

Deuces likes this.
  11. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

In Late 1970 or Early 1971 Pontiac used the Chevrolet Powerglide as a stop-gap measure due to shortages of the turbo 350 & 400. It was only used behind the 350 and 400 lower horsepower Pontiac engines for a very short period of time. The bellhousing pattern was altered to the multi-pattern style to fit the BOP blocks. The major outcome of this was that GM saw the need to make their transmissions more interchangeable between divisions and the result was the multi-pattern bellhousing. I have never read that it was used behind the Olds or Buick engines in this time period, only Pontiacs.

Mark Yac, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. Robb's Classics

Robb's Classics

So got to work on it and found some things. It had a catastrophic failure. One piston has metal imbedded in it. Evidently it was pulled and set in a puddle for years. One cylinder was filled with water, a few others with rust. The head looks OK, the cam looks good and spins. Did some looking on ebay and just the intake and exhaust manifold are going for $1500, so it's getting parted out. I have it soaking, but not sure about the block. It would have been cool to get it running, but I'm not even sure if the block can be saved. The pistons definitely can't, the aluminium is corroded away. The carb is a rare early Qjet, but is completely locked up. Oh well, it'll go on to save some other engines...

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

"I don't remember what 4 speed was in it, Muncie or Saginaw"

Butch...From 1964 to 1975 or so...Pontiac never used Saginaw transmissions in Firebird or LeMans/GTO cars in their 4 speed applications. They switched to Super T-10 transmissions after 1976 I think. The Saginaw was a Chevy thing, don't know why it made economic sense to have a whole different 4 speed transmission in lighter duty applications but they did. 1967 Camaro 327-275 hp 4 speed? Saginaw. 1967 Camaro SS 350 (295 hp) 4 speed? Muncie. Lastly, your memory is pretty good.... the Sprint OHC 1967 Firebird had two traction bars like a 400 model.

14. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I used to race a girl that had one in a Tempest in the mid 60’s with my hopped up 225 Slant six in my 62 Lancer GT. I usually won.

15. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not many Pontiac threads. While I initially missed this I would love to build a car around on of these engines.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  16. Giddygoat

Giddygoat

This is my 1966, owned since 1976 true sprint with the four speed. Lots of fun over the years, pretty quick for a 230 six. No power brakes (drum all the way around) or steering. No air. Heater and am radio. Black interior with buckets, kind of all show and some go. 20210605_150040.jpg

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am looking for a ST-300 converter, to fit to my SP-TH-425. It currently has the same converter as an ST-400.

18. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Nice car, Goat! Had a friend in the 70's with one like yours' but black w/ white stripe. He never brought it over to race on the old side road track with the rest of us but it was a peppy fun car. Ran into a mutual friend not long ago that knew where the engine rests but the car was scrapped long ago. :(

Joe

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.