Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T with seized engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, May 17, 2021.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

D50BF4FB-B8B8-455D-ABD2-B3B555DEE0FB.jpeg This pic is how @Greg Stokes did it . Ok , we have a decent 27 T available but it has a very seized engine. While anything is possible,is it feasible to fit an A or B engine into a T. Clearly I know little about the Model T. @Greg Stokes has done it here , but little T remains of the drive train , possibly a little unfair comment , but what i really mean is we wish our T to still retain a solid T flavour. Fake out the vintage guys, While we have a rolling A frame here and a 32 trans and diff. His is very super cool vintage hot rod. We have just pulled the running B from our 32 to fit a rebuilt diamond B with an OHV . So have a spare B laying around.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. T's have no brakes attached to the axle , and a 5 inch bolt circle making it tough to reuse the T rims and finding brakes . Not very strong stuff either , at minimum should switch to model a rear end and front axle and run model a wheels .. 28 -29 wheels are 28 inch 30-31 are 30 inch . 37 to 40 front and rear axles are a good fit and hydraulic brake options
    Models or b engine are a good fit in a t as well
    Here is my t 37 tube axle and 39 rear whith a flathead v8 60 motor 20191112_162549.jpg 20191112_162606.jpg

3. squirrel

squirrel

The flavor of a T is the planetary transmission, with the pedals....that is a T engine thing, really.

I don't see how you keep that, with a later engine.

But maybe I miss what you mean by flavour...that extraneous U does not translate well over the ocean.

4. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

The car in your picture is not a T. Looking closely, I can clearly see it has Model A engine and running gear. The cowl looks to be a '23 T on a modified A frame. The rest is Model A to my eyes.

Greg Stokes likes this.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

He said it already has a 32 trans and differential. You can see the rear brakes. To me that means it pretty much has to be an A engine. Not sure a T would bolt to A engine or not.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

Finally, a real front spring clamp

chessterd5 and Kiwi 4d like this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apologies for my first post leading to confusion, since edited. I was using the picture a a reference as to someone else did the swap. Our T is still stock.

8. On a T, the engine and trans are sorta one piece, never heard of any ability to put an A or B engine and connect to the T transmission. Look at the T engine and trans and i think you will see how they are as i worded it kind of one piece.
    Also as stated, stock T has the main brake in the trans. The small brake on rear axle is the parking brake, and very inadequate for use as driving brakes. There were popular aftermarket kits back in the day that put oversized rear brakes (external shoe around a drum) that were called "rocky mountain brakes".

9. Hi Brian,
    Feel free to contact me anytime regarding any queries you have about my T or T’s & A’s in general. Always liked your cars so I’m happy to help any way I can.
    Thanks
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Outback likes this.
  10. Hi again,

I haven’t tried to or wanted to drive a T with the three pedals etc.

When I built my T I didn’t know a lot about T drivetrain so I fitted what I knew best. Model A stuff.

Another version of this would be to do a fendered version with the A running gear. A sleeper in fact.

Thanks

Greg

Outback and Kiwi 4d like this.
  11. It’s in a T chassis with T front end and a T body - Model A engine, gearbox and diff and wheels

Outback and Kiwi 4d like this.
  12. Use model A axles , and they can be outfitted with later hydraulic brakes , change the front spindles on the front axle to square back or round back and you can use hydraulic brakes .
    37-40 axles are also about the right width for a t .

13. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Definitely A running gear. The thing that immediately caught my attention is the manifolds are on the wrong side of the engine to be a T. For those who asked if a Model A engine can be hooked to a T transmission, the answer is no. Not without a really vivid imagination and lots of casting and machine work (?)
    To quite Thomas Edison "To be an inventor you need a good imagination and a lot of junk".

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That calls for 40 lashes for you while bent over a water barrel.

One thing that really burns my biscuits is when I spend 30 minutes researching something for some clown who shows a photo that isn't even close to what he is asking about because he thinks he has to show some sort of photo. Thanks for the freaking wasted 30 minutes.

15. Hey I didn’t show the photo.

It’s of my car which Brian showed not me so don’t burn me

Outback and Kume like this.
  16. Kume

Kume

John Gerber grafted a chev four onto a T sump and transmission in the 1920s using a bit of number 8 wire . He may have burnt a few biscuits though.

Outback and Greg Stokes like this.
  17. Kevin Pharis

Kevin Pharis

Just want to clarify... T and A motors have ports on the same side. Here is a pic of a bare T motor... try to ignore the overhead conversion;)

B783821E-E847-4523-A77C-54C753DF5AB9.jpeg

Outback and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My bad, I got the wrong guy that time and I apologize. I see way too many of that type of photo of something that the question actually isn't being asked about with the "to get your attention" in other places. The " I stole this photo off the net of a 32 roadster to get your attention because I want to ask a question about my 30 Model A" thing.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Why not find another T engine if the old one is really shot? They aren't rare.

20. squirrel

squirrel

or at least take it apart and see what's wrong. Could be something simple...and they're hella fun to work on...very educational

kidcampbell71 and rusty valley like this.