Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Sprint OHC 6 found in a junkyard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robb's Classics, May 14, 2021.

1. SlamIam

SlamIam

Best friend in HS (1969) had a 66 LeMans Sprint, same body style as a GTO with special badging and striping, that exact engine with all-synchro 3sp factory floor shift, neat car, very high compression required 100+ octane, rev to the moon, with the two of us in the fairly heavy car stoplight to stoplight it was better than many intermediate sized cars of the day with V8s

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. flatjack

flatjack

As a new engineer at IHC MotorTruck, my first job was to evaluate the OHC six. It was the 2 barrel version. Would rev to 6000 and the valves would float. It was just like a governor. The valves didn't bother the pistons.

Hnstray, Tman, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Dig up a copy of HOT ROD Sept. '65. it's got an article on them.
    hr-1965-09.jpg

LAROKE, loudbang, Tman and 4 others like this.
  4. I believe the model came with the German six. The show car came later and had the Pontiac.

fauj, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  5. Deuces

Deuces

I thought so... Thank you sir!....:)

wraymen, fauj and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

7. v8flat44

v8flat44

A friend had a 66 Lemans with the O H C 6 & 4 speed. Fun to drive & a real neat exhaust note. You sure knew when that 4 barrel opened, fun stuff !

Deuces likes this.
  8. Robb's Classics

Robb's Classics

Cool to hear all the memories guys have. I think I remember seeing the Red Baron somewhere. So worked on the engine yesterday and the plugs (Blue Crown) were rusty and engine is seized. So looking like it's going to be parted out. It would have been cool to get it going, but I don't think that's happening.

wood remover likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Yank the head off and pour some trans fluid in the cylinder bores.... Just let sit for a week or so... It might come loose....

10. This 1912 Sandusky had had not been run for over 60 years and the engine was stuck. The Wednesday Night volunteer group got it to turn over by soaking the cylinders with penetrating oil and I think Marvel Mystery Oil. It took a few weeks but once it moved a slight amount more oil was added and tried the following Wednesday. reverse rotation and repeat reversing directions. Eventually 360 degree rotation. I believe it took 3 or 4 months of Wednesday nights. The rest is history.

[​IMG]

The 1912 Sandusky is believed to be the last one in existence.

Fitty Toomuch and Deuces like this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

50/50 Acetone and ATF. Time is your friend. Don't hurry the process.

HotRodTractor, Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Grammatically….he DID say this OHV motor……that, by chance, is also and OHC engine as well. His statement is not incorrect…..at worst….incomplete.:D

Ray

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    tubman likes this.
  13. junkman8888

junkman8888

A while back I decided to make up some acetone/ATF, poured a 50/50 mix in a clear plastic squirt bottle doing the old "rattle can shake" to mix the two ingredients but within a few second they would separate. Apparently synthetic ATF won't mix with acetone.

Budget36 likes this.
  14. It wasn't a Powerglide...Note...They had a BOP bell housing pattern.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy put one in his 48 Chev pickup when he first built it and it ran like a bandit.
    I worked in Pontiac dealer shops in the 70's and those engines are well known to fry #5 piston for some reason.
    Still put it in a light car with the right trans and the right rear gears and it can make a believer out of a lot of people.

I have to agree with the others in that if the insides are in bad shape I'd clean it all up, paint it back the original color and make a display engine out of it.

16. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

HEy, 8888;
    No syn w/acetone, only old style atf. As you found out, it doesn't mix, n doesn't work well, either.
    Marcus...

17. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I had one in 67 Firebird with a powerglide it was stock no other bolt pattern!

18. Starters are on the drivers side of the engine requiring a bop bell housing , so you need a 2004r from a buick, oldsmobile or pontiac .I believe Cadillac 2004rs may also have the starter on the drivers side .

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I worked construction back in the 60's and the boss drove a tempest wagon with an OHC 6 cylinder with a 3 on the tree. It ran really good and he drove the heck out of it.
    My ex brother-in-law bought a Sprint convertible from a Pontiac engineer. It was a 68 convertible with a 3 speed fully synchronized and a Hurst floor shifter. It was all stock special ordered with all of the paperwork.
    Was pretty quick for a 6 cylinder.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  20. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Got a 66 LeMans convertible from Minnesota that had the OHC 6 and is a rust bucket. Head, block, radiator, T-stat housing and anything that had water in it froze and busted so car is going to leave shop as a 67 GTO vert with a 650hp non Hamb friendly Vette engine.

IMG_5192.JPG IMG_5191.JPG

21. I knew a guy that had a 66 Le Mans with OHC 6 and 4 speed.
    I rode around with him all day thinking it was a 326 before he told me it was a 6.

Deuces likes this.
  22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ours was a '68. It was my mom's car and I never actually crawled under it to see. It was a 2 speed, that much I'm certain. :)

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that engine has a timing belt that may be hard to find... Scan0063.jpg Scan0068.jpg

Deuces and HJmaniac like this.
  24. I believe all of the above ;-)

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mom's '66 Buick Skylark had a 2 speed automatic.

Deuces and jimmy six like this.
  26. You had a 230 SOHC Pontiac 6 cylinder with a Chevy bolt pattern and a Powerglide ??

27. What makes you think chevy wouldn't build a power glide to fit a bop block ??? If it wasn't a power glide, what transmission did they use for automatics ???

Deuces likes this.
  28. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

the two speed was the Super Turbine/Super Turbo Hyrodmatic 300 2 speed that Buick designed and built before they came out with the Turbo 350 in 1969. All of the BOP 2-speed automatics except the ones behind the 230-250 Chevy six were the 300 two speed. It was used behind sixes, small v8's and big block v8. Very durable and the torque converter is interchangeable with the turbine/turbo 400. (By Turbine I am referring to the switch-pitch torque converters that would switch stall speeds that was used in place of a kick-down function that the Turbo trans had.)

Mark Yac likes this.
  29. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Yes that is correct. It ran pretty good until the cam went flat. I then put a 389 high comp in it and never looked back!

Deuces likes this.