Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead cam ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, May 16, 2021.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m working on putting together a 276” flathead for a buddy and we have two cams in stock but know little about either one. I’m hoping someone here can ID them for us.
    One is a Harmon & Collins marked FR H and with 5T stamped on the timing gear indexing stub.
    The other is a Howard marked M8 also stamped 5T on the stub.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. flatjack

flatjack

5T was a factory stamping. These are probably regrinds on a Ford core. The Harmon and Collins has 258 deg duration with 38 deg overlap and .320 lift. Int clearance .011 and exhaust .013. The Howard M-8 has 230 deg duration @.050 and .328 lift. .014 intake and .016 exhaust settings. Fairly mild cam

stillrunners and warbird1 like this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the info. Maybe the fact that they were reground on a Ford core is why they have moderate lift. It sounds like the more modern cams like those from Isky and others may be a better option. Thanks again.

4. flatjack

flatjack

No I doubt that. That is just the grind they designed. The only way to increase lift on a flathead cam is to reduce the base circle, either on a new grind or a regrind. Not everyone wants a wild grind,

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m betting that my buddy is more interested in having that “lope” at idle that everyone likes rather than good all around performance. We just dropped off the block and new pistons at the machine shop so we have some time to research and discuss this. Thanks a lot for your input.

6. flatjack

flatjack

The kiwi L-100 would be a good choice. What are the specs on the engine being built.