Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FED - Who Has One?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, May 16, 2021.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

OK, who has a FED, the type that might have been raced in the 60's? Not the type that have a roll bar hoops on both sides of the driver, just a "regular" roll cage either old style (single hoop over the driver), or maybe one that's been upgraded to current type 5 or 6 point cage. Please post photos!

Thinking of building one from the ground up, I'm currently gathering parts and looking for motivation and inspiration.

Lynn

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I've got a 120in wheelbase Chassis Research K-88 dragster with 296" Flathead. Had it since 1966.

3. Chassis Research LW-106 with a Blown and Injected SBC

BFF59BCB-A8A8-4DC1-9CFB-484C7B78EC77.jpeg

4. iagsxr

iagsxr

Is that a cable drive tach mounted on the blower?

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe @Kerry from Inman, KS still has his. Haven't seen him on here in a while, last activity shows August of 2020.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. woodyTom

woodyTom
    from canton MI

See my avatar, we race all the time, cage was upgraded so we can race, not a cackle car---- 1962 Dragmaster

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, everyone. Curious what the wheelbase is on your FED, 61cad? I'm thinking of 135" to 140" and plan to use a mild carbureted 283 I have waiting for assembly, more than likely a Powerglide and also have a 8 3/4" rearend to narrow.

I don't know where I found the photo below on the internet, but it's about what I'd like to end up with, other than a "current" design cage. Tried to approximately scale it out and suspect it is about 130" to 135" WB. My desire is to just bracket race for fun when the mood strikes.

Lynn

scan0048.jpg

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

bought this about 10 years ago and updated the roll cage and kidney bars. put the 440 in it. the wheel base is 137.

Attached Files:

9. Yes... The cable is feeding into the Tach Drive Magneto

10. LW-106 is a 106" Wheel Base... Full length Power Glide, Direct Connect to a Chrysler 8~3/4" rear, 3:91 gears with spool.

chryslerfan55 and lake_harley like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lynn, I was partners in a couple of later 60's cars, one was a Fuller, the other a Don Long. We shortened them both to 149" WB to meet the T/F rules in the 80's, when I drove. 2012-08-31 123144.jpg 2012-10-15 090658.jpg 2012-09-27 084725.jpg Untitled-1.jpg

Tman, J.Ukrop, Hollywood-East and 6 others like this.
  12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I have had many, this is what I have now upload_2021-5-17_8-41-4.png

Tman, Hollywood-East, iagsxr and 4 others like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Awesome cars fellows! Thanks. They are all inspiration and motivation, just like I was wanting.

saltflats....I see you're in Missouri. I live in Southeast Missouri, near Cape Girardeau. I'm curious, where in Missouri you live and if it might be possible to see your car sometime? I have tons of questions and admit a lot of the details on how a FED is configured is something I've just never paid attention too. It's funny how one quickly realizes that you don't even know what you don't know. I wouldn't want to just wing it and end up building a mutt that would be the laughing stock of the dragstrip!

Thanks again to all for the posts and the photos. Keep 'em coming!

Lynn

chryslerfan55, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hartsburg, your welcome anytime.

16. jaracer

jaracer

A buddy bought a FED many years ago. It was a factory built frame with steering and front suspension with an old Ford truck rear axle. He updated the rear end to a Strange setup. He was going to use a carbureted small block, but got an offer on the rear axle that was more than he had in the dragster and engine. He sold the rear axle and gave the FED to another buddy. I bought the engine for what he gave for it. However, the FED was being stored in my pole shed and taking up room. One night after work the other buddy traded the FED and trailer for two cases of beer which I helped him drink. I guess that was my storage fee.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Matt55folife and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Actually it's North Plains, but it was a Cornelius mailing address at the time. Been here 49 years !

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

mine is a '68, 190'' and not powered by those everyday engines like a sbc or hemi. :D:D but
    the engine has ford, chevy, mopar, honda, toyota parts in it because nobody makes anything.
    i'm alone out there with a buick 350 and a 6-71 on top. hopefully to get low 8's before
    we try alky. pic is with a 4-71 on top.
    it originally had a hemi, hand clutch and brake. tough getting all the history from the left coast guys.

Attached Files:

20. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thank you saltflats. I appreciate the offer. I will likely be passing through on I-70 in 2 or 3 weeks and might try to make a bit of a side-step to your place along the way. I'll send a PM if it looks like I can make it happen.

Lynn

21. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

note on our fed. when we race it, it draws a crowd. don't know why. we also take it to car shows. track or show, we put people in the seat. sometimes start it up. we have had about 700 asses in the fed. we do it just to tell them about drag racing. come and see it. the only cry babies that won't get in the fed is the guys. 'the rear will blow up my balls''. told them we need about 8k of hp to make it happen.

22. iagsxr

iagsxr

What did you run for ET & MPH with those cars?

I've always thought 150" WB would be about right for the logistics of shop space and transporting one. Just wonder at what speed it would be too short.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I hope HAMBer HEMIRAMBLER sees this thread and responds. He built a beautiful FED with a swoopy body as his first race car and it is magnificent. 392 powered.

saltflats likes this.
  24. mkubacak

mkubacak

@HemiRambler

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The stories FEDs have would curl your toes!
    Not all of them are simple race cars that have been under the same ownership in the same clothes...
    FEDs were always in transition, for instance, the Antique Doll....Greer, Black and Prudohme dragster... (actually, ex- Masters & Richter) to name just a couple.
    To read the history of some would reveal long lives, but actually some ran for years under different ownership, power, etc.
    Hyper interesting...
    I had a 120" FED I got from Halibrand Jack in 1982. Research went nowhere, Bonneville Butch and I started the new project but I moved the shop south. Butch took the FED to his shops.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Fuller car went 7.95 @ 192.7, the Don Long went 7.61 @ 193.54. Both cars were direct drive (no transmission) old school race cars. Video to watch-

27. Great driving Marty! Looks a bit loose on the top end, not easy. Must be a world record on a cost/ET scale too. Plain awesome thanks for sharing the video.

28. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

29. lake_harley

lake_harley

saltflats.....I sent a PM regarding a day to maybe stop in to see your car.

Lynn

30. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks for the kind words Greg! Looks like I'm a little late to the party! Still here's mine. I've tried to make as much of the parts as I can. Adds to the fun and helps keep the costs down...some. diggerbw.jpg diggerchute.jpg