Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Compact HEI ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AngleGrinder, May 16, 2021.

1. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

Greeting all.

Currently I have the MSD Distributor, ign box and coil. Hoping to replace all that with the HEI style distributor but it measures 6 inches across at widest point. Does not fit behind the 327/300hp motor..
    Rather not cut up the firewall, move my gas pedal, move under dash stuff etc.

Do you have any suggestions ? Is there a compact HEI ? go with separate coil
    distributor ? Last resort is to cut. hey thank you.... Angle Grinder

2. jaracer

jaracer

I think MSD makes one. I had one made for my Buick by Dave's Small Body HEI. However, if you need it in a timely fashion I don't recommend him. While his work is very good, I think he had my distributor for 10 months or more.

AngleGrinder likes this.
  3. badshifter

badshifter

4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or use a Pertronix Ignitor II. That's what I did on my 57. Comes with all the springs and weights to customize your advance curve, too.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Or leave the points in it, and have a nice reliable ignition system, that is HAMB friendly. The tough part is finding an original 1960s distributor, they're so much better than the modern replacements.

but what do I know, the pic in my avatar shows me chasing an elusive ignition condenser issue....

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

You need one of these. Not used much anymore but when needed... 20201002_145733.jpg

7. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

As suggested,use a point dizzy, add a MSD unit under dash.Get a nice spark and if MSD acts up on the road a simple jumper wire will by pass the unit,Easy enough to swap points on the road also,,I have the exact setup ..

31hotrodguy likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

How hot of a spark do you need? I've been in the nines with a stock coil....triggered by points...no electronics.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Is there a compact HEI ? go with separate coil
    distributor ? Last resort is to cut. hey thank you.... Angle Grinder
    Yes there are. I dont recall the name of the guy but maybe Jasons small body HEI dist.

AngleGrinder likes this.
  10. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you use an external coil, there will be no smaller option. The HEI coil is what makes the distributor so large.

AngleGrinder likes this.
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

12. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

Allstar markets a ready to run dist that is just like the MSD ready to run unit. It is almost 1/2 the price of a MSD. It is a small cap and runs a separate coil and doesnt need the box. We have used them a number of times, without issues. Maybe its even made by MSD for Allstar?

Bill

AngleGrinder and loudbang like this.
  13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

What is wrong with the MSD that you want to change it.? I for one am not a fan of Petronix, I know as many people that have had problems with them and an equal amount that swear by them. Never been stranded with stock stuff or MSD.

Pat

14. 1990 Camaro Z28 used a small HEI distributor and a remotely mounted coil. You would need the connectors to plug into it.

AngleGrinder likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That one is computer controlled and defeats the purpose though. Same distributor was used up though the end of small blocks and big blocks with actual distributors.

AngleGrinder likes this.
  16. oldolds

oldolds

Use a stock points distributor with a Ford FAST system hooked up to it. I do not have info on how to do it. Computer crashed. It is pretty easy. look it up. Points are only a trigger for it

AngleGrinder likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proven salvage yard solution at the link below. Use a "traditional" small diameter points distributor and coil, hide the Ford TFI module under the dash, drive it. This solution can also be "rewired on the road" and run as a normal points system if there is a TFI module failure.

If you really want to go nuts, you can wire the points and coil through a DPDT relay powered via a toggle switch. If the Module fails flip the switch and keep driving.

https://www.49ccscoot.com/manuals/FORD TFI electronic ignition.pdf

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    AngleGrinder, loudbang and egads like this.
  18. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

Thanx Jaracer, much appreciate your reply. Kinda need to be driving my coupe soon or go crazy. cheers

19. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

20. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

Thanx Rockable !

21. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

Looked it up, looks good. thanx man.

23. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Taylor Electronics makes a distributor that looks like a Vertex Magneto. I have one on my 55 Dodge 270 Hemi. No vacuum control, but no problem.

31hotrodguy and AngleGrinder like this.
  24. Truckedup

Truckedup

You are looking at the front of the engine in the avatar..coil and or condenser mounted remotely or, god forbid, is that a Ford engine? :D

25. squirrel

squirrel

I was playing with spark plugs, actually...I didn't figure out the condenser problem until several months later.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  26. Budget36

Budget36

No advance in that.

27. AngleGrinder

AngleGrinder

I'm leaning towards an MSD 8360 "ready to run" distributor, external coil that will fit at 5 inches across. No ignition box required. Get a black cap and black wires. Any comments ?

Seth Bilodeau and Hnstray like this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can't find a points distributor?

AngleGrinder likes this.
  29. Blake 27

Blake 27

One other option, it's got an internal coil. HPIM0204.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I ran a mag on the street for a while . Not the best choice . I run the points and condenser without any issues . If you drive lots once a year swap to new guts and your good to go . I have owned 428 and 429 SCJs hard not one issue with stock coil and points . Thing about it , they worked on lots of HP stuff for years

AngleGrinder and 31hotrodguy like this.