Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Jalopy showdown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 24 Dodge, Mar 8, 2021.

1. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

This'll be my first too, but fingers crossed WE (not someone else, we all know how that goes) are able to keep it going in the future. Are there other dirt tracks in the (greater) area that might host this? I'll admit I don't know the history of the Showdown...

2. CIMG1146.JPG CIMG1145.JPG

From the original venue...

3. @lothiandon1940 Thanks It's always fun trying to capture the vintage feel of these races. Hopefully later this year my car will be further along and I can be the one getting my photo taken!

4. It sounds like there may be some folks at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing that want to continue an event similar to this one so it could be back at Latimore, at Lincoln or maybe another track. I wish I lived closer to PA so I could help with continuing the fun!

5. Great weather anticipated, 71 degrees says the local stations.

6. Back up..........Tomorrow!!:D

Hamtown Al, loudbang, Dino 64 and 5 others like this.
  7. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

This fell way too low... see you all there!

8. BACK UP FOR TODAY!!!!!! hqdefault.jpg

ratrodrodder and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Attached Files:

10. Great work, Ron. Fabulous images.

11. Missed that torn up midget. Where was that located?

loudbang likes this.
  12. NJ Don

NJ Don

Some more. Great weather, great event! Gotta end with my car.
    DSCF0269.JPG DSCF0272.JPG DSCF0283.JPG DSCF0290.JPG DSCF0292.JPG DSCF0294.JPG

13. 20210515_150111.jpg
    Got an accident to report. We stuck around for the stunt show. Driver if the '49 Ford hit the wall. The ambulance had already left. Took them at least 10 long minutes to get back to the injured driver. Word was he had a leg injury. I really hope he's ok.

14. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

I had to leave during the middle of the racing, but it was a fun time! Been a while since I've been to a track, and first time ever watching them race on the dirt. Great turnout of rods and customs, from what I could tell - not sure how it compares to previous years. I've got some video clips of the first few classes of racing, I'll get them up shortly.

15. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Whaddya know it works!:
    Somehow I figured out how all these strings and cans talk to each other....

16. ratrodrodder

ratrodrodder
    from Boston

Pretty sure this was the third event:

Would anyone happen to have a handy list of the different classes they can share? First event was with the speedsters (see the post above), the sprint cars were in there, but how was it broken down otherwise?

These videos are so large that I've nearly reached my free limit on Vimeo after two, so enjoy these while I go find another hosting site...

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  17. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Going by memory.. here. Just got home from racing there today ....

1st was speedsters
    2nd was roadsters
    3rd was coupes / hotrod class (I ran 7x in this group)

After that I think it was vintage stock cars 4th
    Then vintage modifieds 5th
    And vintage sprint cars 6th. Then we ran the same order again....

18. Anyone have footage of the 49? This the same people doing car jumps and j turns?

19. Yes, the Hell drivers had just started the show. Those who believe in omens might see something here. They were getting things going with some smaller ramps to lift the wheels on one side. Building up to when the bigger ramps would come into play. First, a ramp broke apart. Cars ok so they continued. Soon after, the Ford hooked the Old's bumper ripping it loose. The drivers would drive in unison as they hit the ramp, then swing around in J turns to come back again. Pretty sure I saw A arms on the Olds, possible S10 frame. It was doing much better at swinging around than the Ford, who made mostly 2 point turns. Well, the final turn for the Ford had it dig in instead of sliding. Stuffed it hard into the wall. Damn, that was a helpless feeling as the announcer's mike was stuck open. We in the stands could hear him talking. ''The ambulance is gone?'' ''someone call 911''. The minutes ticked by and the driver was hurt. I guaran freakin' tee there will be an ambo there any time vehicles are moving on that track in the future. So sorry to see the show end on this note[​IMG]
    This is a picture from a previous show.

20. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Another AWESOME! job by Larry and his group!

21. The auction items were very cool. I didn’t bring enough cash though. :(
    A guy that got stuck in the creek back in the day was high bidder for the No Cars in Creek sign. I’m sure he’ll hang it with pride.:)

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  22. It was in the swap meet to the left, as you entered the main gate. It must have been in a very bad Crash !:eek:

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the photos. Snowman

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Cool - Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  25. ‼️ ANNOUNCEMENT ‼️
    York Springs, PA (May 19, 2021) – The Eastern Museum of Motor Racing is excited to announce the inaugural EMMR Hot Rod Annual to be held on Saturday, May 21, 2022 at Lincoln Speedway. Each year Larry and Kim Garland worked tirelessly to put on the Jalopy Showdown to benefit the museum. After 20 successful years of the Showdown, this past Saturday Larry and Kim hosted the final one.
    “We want to thank Larry and Kim for all that they do for the museum.” said President, Nancy Miller. “They have left large shoes to fill, but the museum looks forward to hosting the Hot Rod Annual in 2022. We know that hot rod enthusiasts from up and down the east coast look forward to the event and it has been a major fundraiser for the museum, so it made sense for us to keep it going.”
    For updates on the inaugural EMMR Hot Rod Annual please follow the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing on Facebook and the website.
    Located in York Springs, PA, the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing houses an outstanding collection of vintage racecars and artifacts. Located on a restored 40-acre fairground and racetrack. EMMR hosts events throughout the year where historic cars are again brought to life on the track. Admission to the museum is free.

26. Marcia

Marcia

Frank, "Gas Pumper" on here, is still in the hospital with two breaks in his right leg. Hes had 2 surgeries. Today we'll talk with the therapist about how and when we get him home.
    The car wasn't responding to his commands, problem with the brakes? We don't know yet.
    I want to thank everyone that helped us get our race cars and trailers home. FB_IMG_1621162559960.jpeg FB_IMG_1621110102672.jpeg Screenshot_20210504-104613.jpeg IMG_20210517_101926750.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scarylarry, 40LUV, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  27. Marcia

Marcia

I also want to thank everyone that has sent their thoughts and prayers. You can follow his progress though FB or I can post them here if you want. You know he will be back at a track near you very soon. Frank Walka ican do anything!

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app