Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '47 Ford - SBC 327 to Early Ford Transmission - Help Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, May 13, 2021.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Howdy fella's. I'm working on a 1947 Ford Woodie - was an all original car. Customer wants Chevy for power , mated to the original Trans & Rear.

I have an old Offenhauser aluminum Trans Adapter.
    I bought a 10" Ford Clutch from Early Ford Store, but having a Hell of a time getting the correct Pressure Plate. I have been sold various Pressure Plates (3 finger & diaphragm) but so far, they have ALL been incorrect. The main issue is that when the Pedal is engaged - the throwout bearing doesn't reach all the way to engage everything. ('47 Ford Trans has inspection plate to see).

*Again, this was an all original running/driving car.

Help with the correct part number / year / make Pressure Plate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Royalshifter likes this.
  2. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

what flywheel?

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've not personally done the SBC to Ford swap but I did study up on it when I thought I was going to do that a few years ago. Seems there's something magical about a '50 Mercury Pressure Plate maybe? Also, a longer throwout bearing unit. I guess in reality I might have not helped since it's all a faded memory, but I tried. :rolleyes:

Lynn

4. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I did one about 55 years ago if I remember I used chev flywheel 48 ford p/plate and 48 disc and throw out brg.

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I did one in '58, used Chevy Schieffer aluminum flywheel, Ford disc and '50 Merc pressure plate and T.O. brg.
    Don't remember any such thing as a 'long' Ford T.O. brg., though.

6. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I belive the pilot brg was something special I got from Honest charlie's speed shop

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Chevy Flywheel

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You actually might be on to something. This is the stock original '47 Throwout Bearing, and the darn thing is miles away from the Pressure Plate. I'm wondering if there is a special extra long Throwout Bearing that I am supposed to use? Hmmmm. We even took a Pressure Plate out of another customers SBC/Early Ford combo , stuck it in there, and no bueno. I really appreciate all the comments and thoughts. Please keep them coming.....

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

10. Says to use the stock one

ottoman and axle like this.
  11. lake_harley

lake_harley

I did some more searching on the topic and the thing I see mentioned over and over is the '50 Mercury Pressure Plate. Perhaps it's thicker than the 10" Ford Pressure Plate? Wish my memory was better and could be of better help.

Lynn

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  12. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I used clutch and pressure plate to duity ford trans and re drill the chev flywheel , I used 9 in clutch nice and light in use, also you need a spigot bush that provides about 3/4 of a inch from the crankshaft , maybe you would call it a pilot bush as the ford front shaft goes through the clutch plate but dosnt engage with the crankshaft

13. F-head

F-head

The 50 Merc 10”pressure plate has evenly spaced mounting holes and bolts right on to a SBC flywheel
    It also is Borg and Beck style, formatted for an early Ford throw out bearing
    The 50 Merc uses an early Ford throw out bearing unlike a 50 Ford or 51 Merc
    If you try to use a chev pressure plate the fingers or the diaphragm won’t clear the large early Ford input shaft and won’t work with the Ford throw out bearing
    If someone try’s to sell you a 10” Long style
    Pressure plate it’s Ford and not Merc

HemiDeuce and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. F-head

F-head

Here’s a 50 Merc Borg and Beck 78CE8DCA-1376-4713-BE6D-2E81864E1FA8.jpeg 8DBF848A-652D-4DB6-8929-63324938E410.jpeg vs a 10” Ford Long style

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks F-head. - I really appreciate this. Do you have a part number on that '50 Merc Pressure Plate?

16. F-head

F-head

Sorry don’t have a part number. I was lucky and found one in my stash

axle likes this.
  17. I think you can buy the Merc pressure plate from wilcap.
    Al.

olscrounger and axle like this.
  18. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Or c&g ford parts

axle likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Contact Fort Wayne Clutch and talk to Lou. I think you need the Chevy flywheel with the Merc PP and the Merc throwout brg that clips on the fork? That's the combination I was told about years ago as best as I can remember.

20. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The RAM diaphragm PP would be a better deal. The diaphragm PP I always used that worked with the early throw out brg was a NAPA CA 30 but it has the Ford mounting pattern.

22. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Awesome. Great info coming in. MUCH appreciated!

23. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Some inspiration

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

UPDATE: I found and bought a brand new '50 Merc pressure plate. As stated prior, we bought a brand new Ford 10" clutch. We have a pilot bearing from Speedway. After re-installation, the throwout bearing barely touches the pressure plate when fully engaged. MORE INFO: The adapter is an old Offenhauser , and after speaking with the nice guy at Wilcap, he had us measure it. It's 4" deep, and we were told that there might of been 2 different adapters made in the old days. Most Offenhauser adapters are about 3 1/2" to 3 5/8" deep. I can't believe the luck we're having!

QUESTION: Does anyone out there make custom throwout bearings?

Thanks in advance, Axle

Johnny Gee likes this.
  25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That suck's.

axle likes this.
  26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Could you measure the depth of your adapter? where it bolts to back of block - to where it bolts to transmission

27. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Will do in the AM

axle likes this.
  28. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Looks like 3 3/8ths. Pilot bushing is Speedway item #720-5000. Make sure if you buy an adapter that the dowel pin holes are the same size as Chevy dowel pins. If your anal check bolt circle hole with dial indicator on crank so as not to strain front bearing on transmission. Clutch is Mercury, rebuilt by Fort Wayne Clutch and flywheel is aluminum.
    Starter bolts to bell housing adapter and is off a '57 motor.

29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, I had a buddy that put a 283 in a 40 and he wound up with one of those 4 inch adapters. He had to switch it to one of the 3 3/8 deep ones for the same reason. I wonder what the 4 inchers were made for???