Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Woody in classifieds. Is it really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by custom_lettering, May 16, 2021.

1. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

This car 1950 Ford Woody | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com) has been for sale twice here.
    I've looking for a good woody on the east coast for years then just gave up. Then this popped up.
    1st time: We had nice car guy chats and a facetime walk around. My buddy had the trailer hooked up and was going to go up with my cash to get car. He then said he's putting the nose on and selling for $40,000. Cool it's your car do your thing. I even checked in just to see how he's doing.
    2nd time: I see it pop up and tell my buddy it looks like I have another shot at getting a woody. I contact the gentleman and he says " I sense your a car flipper and want someone who's gonna enjoy it to have it" WOW Is it really for sale?!?! I'm not gonna beg you for your car.

Anyway if you are able to get this car please post your progress so I can see it done. It looks like a nice clean piece.

2. I feel your pain. Wonder why he's being so picky about who buys it.:confused: Looks to be a nice solid, complete car. IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027.JPG

3. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Some guys are like that. Not truly mentally ready to sell even though they know it's time. Maybe wife said sell and he doesn't want to. I have too many upright basses. Wife said make some room, so I listed one for sale, for twice its value.... Lol. Still have them all!

I have heard often in the wood boat world where guys refuse to sell to anyone who is going to repower with a modern engine, change much, etc. It happens.

Blues4U likes this.
  4. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

No interest in repower or hot rodding. Hell my 39 merc is 6 volt and a.m. radio. Not only would I leave it stock but I live at the shore. It would be a hoot. Aaahhh screw it. Let’s talk about those upright basses you have for sale. Ha

Cosmo49, 210superair, Blues4U and 2 others like this.

5. Honestly, I can feel your frustration but also see the other point of view. Back when I bought my 56 Ford, the family that originally owned it had an offer from a collector/buyer/seller that was what the car was worth. I had been interested in the car too, but had some things going on in my life fixing to adopt a couple girls that made me decide against buying it. Anyway, the family wanted it to go to someone that would enjoy the car so counter-offered to me for LESS than the standing offer from the other guy. Oh, and I still have the car 10 years later and my 4 kids have grown up going on multiple road trips in it.

6. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Yeah if I was a flipper I would get it. But we had a bunch of talks. He’s seen the car I’m working on. There’s zero sign of me not being 100% into the car.
    But like everyone says and I also believe he’s not ready to sell it again.
    Hopefully someone gets it and puts it together.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maybe he was on the fence first time around and now he's more motivated. I'd say give him another call with a next possible move to drive to see it.
    May be he's concerned about finding the right home for the car and sounds like you're the guy that won't ruin it with billet and an LS motor.
    Bring the trailer. Looks like it maps out to about 8 hr. round trip. That's close in the HAMB world! Leave early, roll in at 10:00AM and take a look. Nothing ventured-nothing gained.....you and the car may be a match in heaven.

8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Sounds like the guy I bought my airstream from.
    We talked a lot and I had made a very fair offer in person that he didn’t even acknowledge. finally I asked if he was going to sell me the trailer and he said he really didn’t want to but his wife wanted it gone. I said I understood and that my offer would stand and I’d like to buy it when he was ready to sell. A few weeks later he called and asked if I still wanted it. I did and he offered to deliver it the next weekend. I think he just wanted to see my house and make sure it was going to a good home.
    After we finished the deal he said he had been offered a lot more money than I paid, by a guy who wanted to turn the trailer in to a taco truck. He said he wouldn’t have sold it to that ahole for any amount of money.

Some of us get so emotionally attached to things with wheels that we can’t act rationally when parting with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Once something is sold for the money I want , Its yours and do as you please !!!!

Cosmo49, chopped, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  10. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Guys who advertise cars for sale and then play games like you describe are just wasting our time. If it is not for sale don't advertise it. By the way, what is with all the gas cans on the shelf behind the woody?

Cosmo49, Tman, jim snow and 2 others like this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looking on his shelf, he's kinda worried about more than the car. lol

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Haha you beat me to it by one second!!! lol

13. Sell it or don’t sell it.....Trying to control others (what they do with the car) is a sign of a personality disorder.....

14. 2935ford

2935ford

You will never be able to account for another.......they do what they do.
    Been there done that a few times. I just walk away.

Irish Mike likes this.
  15. custom_lettering

custom_lettering
    from Wall, NJ

Yeah after 2 rounds I walked. I was stealing from the Merc fund anyway. Already started getting it ready for paint.

Irish Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds like he's making excuses so he can avoid selling it. I never understand why people even list these cars if they're not 100% sure they want to sell them?

lothiandon1940 and Irish Mike like this.
  17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I need an upright bass, too

210superair and Blues4U like this.
  18. A pleasing the wife maybe.....

19. I've dealt with guys like that a few times. I just say what they want to hear, or in extreme cases, I'll send somebody who'll say what they want to hear. If I show up and I'm willing to pay what they're asking, I don't figure they have the right to impose their wishes on me. If they dicked me around I made it my quest to get the car by any means. Had one guy that was real tough, ended up sending a woman with a kid in tow to finally get it from him. Should have seen his face when I showed up in my car hauler to pick it up...

Truck64 likes this.
  20. spanners

spanners

Once the cash is mine, do as you please with the car, trailer, house, whatever. I sold an early Holden ute to a bloke in another state. When he was picking it up he said he was going to put an LS1 and six speed 'box and 9 inch diff in it and reupholster and repaint. I already had the money in my account so didn't care. He paid top dollar for a body shell basically.

Sporty45 likes this.
  21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I sold a car one time to a flipper, he told me to put the money that I received in a bank and not to touch it for six (6) years.

22. jim snow

jim snow

I don’t get people like this. Once funds are exchanged ,what I do with it shouldn’t concern the previous owner. It’s not there’s anymore.jmho. Snowman

Irish Mike likes this.
  23. Budget36

Budget36

Two schools of thought, first I agree with you. If I sell it, you can cut it in 1/2, I don’t care.
    The other side is some want to find the next care taker of the vehicle, we see that a lot here with hot rods with history. Many talk about “finding the right person for the car”. Also, how many posts have replies “keep it true to the original build”? The car in question looks like a restored vehicle, those type of folks have the same right to find the next care taker as well as the hot rodders do.
    I guess another thought is the fellow just isn’t ready to let go of it.
    Regardless of why the deal isn’t done, wasn’t done, etc. I’d personally find it difficult to post publicly about it. No one wants to hear my frustrations about what happened to me (car related) this weekend. I don’t do the Facebook thing, so I just bitch to my buddy about it. ;)

Irish Mike likes this.
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a friend named George, now deceased, who years ago had a restored Model A blindback sedan that had won numerous national awards. It was a stunning car and he decided to sell it. Another friend was interested in it and we joked that we were going to turn it into a hot rod. George said, "I don't give a d - - - if you burn it as long as I get paid." He didn't care what happened to it after it was out of his possession.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Chicster, jim snow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. 50Fraud sold a totally gorgeous 36 3W coupe some years ago. I still almost cry when I see what the buyer did with it.:(:mad:

50Fraud likes this.
  26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Stokers Hot Rod Factory just posted a similar finished woody in the for sale section.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

28. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

He reminds me of one of the guy's in the local car club. He had his car for sale and wanted $35,500. He got a couple of takers and decided to not sell the car. His reasoning was that if they were willing to pay the $35,500 for the car someone would be will in to give him more. Sure enough, a few months went by and he listed the car for $42,000. I don't know what's happening now because of the pandemic we haven't got together.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that would be on the line of my answer, A buddy of mine got burned by a flipper and was pissed for years. Sold the car to the guy because he truly believed the guy intended to finish it and keep it and come to find out, the guy had a deal made to sell it for half again what he paid for it before he ever went to make the deal on it. He honestly hauled the car straight from my friend's house to the guy's place that he sold it to. Pre internet when you often didn't know what was for sale or for how much outside of your very close home area.

30. Budget36

Budget36

I can emphasize with your friend, but only if he sold it to another friend, who took advantage of him.
    If it was someone he didn’t know, he got tooken by a story and that’s on him.

57 Fargo likes this.