Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Trailer rear id.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, May 15, 2021.

1. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

I have what I think is a late ‘50s or early 60s Dodge (Studebaker to?) pick up truck frame and rear. Thinking of upgrading to a lighter trailer and wondering if the rear is of more use/value than the trailer. Has wheels (R&L lug nuts) and bumper. Does it matter what ratio or what year? How can I tell?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This is where a picture would be a good help.

3. squirrel

squirrel

pictures help. You might be able to figure out the year, and what it's out of, but what to look for, depends on what it is, and we can only guess from your description.

Dodge trucks used the 8-3/4 rear, or it's predecessor, and this is pretty easy to recognize by it's perfectly round, welded on rear cover, and how the removable center section looks. It would have some casting numbers, probably including a date code, which will get you a pretty good ID. Older ones had a removable hub and axle shaft held together with a big nut in the center, by mid 60s they were one piece axles.

Studebaker mostly used Spicer rears, I think, in that era. They usually have a number cast on them for the model, such as 30 or 44 or 60 or something. The rear cover has 10 bolts, and looks kind of like a stop sign, but not quite, on the 40 and higher series.

Either one will probably have steep gears, probably high 3s, which are not much sought after these days, by anyone.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have to know exactly what it it is including gear ratio and then most likely only a collector who was restoring one back to original would be interested in it. Trailers made out of old pickup boxes and frames or frame and flatbed are usually worth what the bed it's self is worth or worth what you can do with them. If it is licensed with a title I'd think that unit is worth more as a trailer than the rear axle by it's self.

5. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

[​IMG]

6. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

IMG_0996.JPG

7. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

[​IMG]

8. squirrel

squirrel

Probably a Dodge rear, but it no longer has a ratio, since the pinion gear is gone!

warhorseracing likes this.
  9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a Studebaker bed/trailer as you described. I used it to store junk prior to the dump runs. The body was in very good shape with no rust through. When I decided to sell it I called the Studebaker owner's club in Kansas City.

A nice guy came out that night and paid me and took it full of trash and all. Apparently, this one had more value as a truck bed over a trailer.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not only has the pinion been removed the axle has been flipped upside down to put it on top of the springs to lower the trailer without moving the spring pads. Some real red neck engineering there.

Deuces likes this.